Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Donut post workout anyone???

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    sbubenchik wrote: »
    Whatever works for you I guess.. Personally I don't see how any pastry could fit into any balanced diet no mater what your overall goal is. If you lift heavy with proper form, eat right and get plenty of rest, you will make all the gains you want without putting on extra fat. That's what just works for me. Gains come from recovery, fast recovery comes from rest and nutrition..

Please don't look at my diary.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    btrias24 wrote: »
    Ok i dont do this but just read it to some article, in bodybuilding.com. i will make it simple.. Donut post workout to spike insulin??? Too good to be true? What's s ur input???

Will you deliver? I'll take a maple bar, please!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Ok i dont do this but just read it to some article, in bodybuilding.com. i will make it simple.. Donut post workout to spike insulin??? Too good to be true? What's s ur input???

If you're trying to put on mass, you want that insulin spike...it's what helps make you grow. Personally not a donut guy, but when you're trying to put on mass, carbs are king in general for that spike...it is why white rice is so commonly used by body builders.

I think spiking insulin post workout is necessary regardless if u want to gain mass or shred, coz it helps the body absorb all the protein and supps that u took before and during workout
    Which really mean nothing because unless you're an elite athlete, there's minimal results for the average person. You could eat 2 hours after and get the same results.
    Post workout meal is very overhyped and promoted by supplement companies. Why? More money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Whatever works for you I guess.. Personally I don't see how any pastry could fit into any balanced diet no mater what your overall goal is. If you lift heavy with proper form, eat right and get plenty of rest, you will make all the gains you want without putting on extra fat. That's what just works for me. Gains come from recovery, fast recovery comes from rest and nutrition..
    You don't put on mass (muscle) without putting on some fat. And unless you're gearing, you'll put on more fat than muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    You should use fruit instead. The kind of insulin excreted from a processed donut probably won't be the right sensitivity.
    What? Are you saying we have "different" kinds of insulin in our body?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I agree. Sometimes I wonder at all the things people make fit. It could mentally exhausting just imagining all of it.
    That may be the reason why some of your posts seem so wacky.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I just found out I live ten minutes from a krispy kreme... SO yeah, let's go with this fact is 110% true.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Think I ate my last doughnut about 5 years ago or more. No appeal to me at all.

I haven 't eating any in almost 40 years. I win! They don't appeal to me either, and in my book there are better carbs choices to eat after a workout.
  • hamilton8560
    hamilton8560 Posts: 61 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat the *kitten* out of donuts at night twice a week
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, if you ingest a simple carb combined with a fast absorbing protein, like whey, the insulin spike caused by the carb will help the absorption of the protein's amino acids into the muscles for repair. Another reason to consume simple carbs after a strenuous workout is that your muscles are depleted of glycogen and simple carbs are perfect for replenishing the supply when your muscles are most receptive. They soak it up like a sponge just after a workout. This will get them ready for the next workout, as glycogen is a major source of fuel for muscles. You may find that you are less sore the next day if you do this.

I drink a Tang (yes, Tang, basically sugar), whey, and creatine (also best absorbed with carbs) solution during and after my workouts. If you are going to have a doughnut, just after a workout would probably be the best time. Search the internet for 'carb timing' and you will get a wealth of chatter about it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

I agree. Sometimes I wonder at all the things people make fit. It could mentally exhausting just imagining all of it.
    That may be the reason why some of your posts seem so wacky.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Perhaps I'm getting orgone fatigue.
    Work on that chi. And add in some Feng Shui too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Raisin Bran with milk looks like it might work too. The Glycemic Load is about the same as a donut, and it has more protein.
  • hamilton8560
    hamilton8560 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Is it advantageous to consume high glycemic carbs after a workout... yes. Is it good to consume them with at the same time with fats, no. Donuts are high in both fats and carbs not only will your body preferentially select the carbs for energy and store the fat. It will dull the amount of spike the sugars and grain will give you