Weighing In

Options
How often do you weigh in? I used to hardly ever weigh because I was kind of afraid of the scale... now it seems like I'm obsessed with it! Not because I like the number I see (at all), but because of the hope of another lost pound.

Just wanted to get a general idea of what everyone else is doing. Thanks!

Replies

• emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same day about same time of day
  • moyafigura
    moyafigura Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Once a week for me.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I only weigh in once in awhile (like once a month or so). I get upset when I feel like I've been working so hard and the great-and-all-powerful-scale doesn't change. So I just go by how I'm feeling and how my clothes are fitting. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but it's what works for me. But when I did weigh in regularly, I weighed in once a week, in the morning. Otherwise, I think it's really whatever works for you.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a couple of times a day BUT I only log my weight on Saturday mornings. I'm not obsessed with what it says and I don't let it get to me but I like to see how certain foods affect my body and it's ability to retain/lose weight!
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Absolutely DO NOT weigh yourself every day. Just because your scale says one number one day, and a different the next, does not incline that you gained/lost weight. I weight myself once a week, in the morning before breakfast and showering. That way, you cancel out the added load of food and/or clothing that may render the weigh-in inaccurate. By weighing myself once a week, I can find a more reliable measurement of my progress. If you simply cannot resist, however, record a daily weight and then at the end of the week, average it out to find your "AVG Weight".

But, weighing yourself before eating and without excess clothing is still necessary.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    This is probably bad, so I wouldn't recommend it, but I weigh every morning but I only record once a week and then only if its a loss. I cant take seeing my ticker go up and then back down. But once a week is probably better...IDK
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    once a week, Friday at 5 pm , naked
  • rcpayton
    rcpayton Posts: 90
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but update it on MFP weekly. I just started taking measurements too and tracking them on here. I know weighing yourself daily isnt recommended but I do it just to gauge how Im progressing. Even if the scale says I havent lost a pound, or even gained 1, I know Im heading in the right direction as my clothes fit better or I have dropped a size. Good luck!
  • amberlee2011
    amberlee2011 Posts: 129
    Options
    I weigh in everyday, but only count it on my weigh in day once a week. I weigh in everyday because if my weight is inching up, I know I need to put more of an effort in to keep the losing going.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    this question sure seems to get asked a lot.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday, but only count it on my weigh in day once a week. I weigh in everyday because if my weight is inching up, I know I need to put more of an effort in to keep the losing going.
    same here
  • mrsclc
    mrsclc Posts: 73
    Options
    I like to weigh once a week because your weight can fluctuate from day to day. If you only weigh once a week your less likely to get discourage over a . + weight gain.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Absolutely DO NOT weigh yourself every day. Just because your scale says one number one day, and a different the next, does not incline that you gained/lost weight. I weight myself once a week, in the morning before breakfast and showering. That way, you cancel out the added load of food and/or clothing that may render the weigh-in inaccurate. By weighing myself once a week, I can find a more reliable measurement of my progress. If you simply cannot resist, however, record a daily weight and then at the end of the week, average it out to find your "AVG Weight".

But, weighing yourself before eating and without excess clothing is still necessary.

This may be the case for some people if you're easily discouraged by what you see on the scale but not everybody is. For example, I'm up 4 lbs from yesterday but I KNOW it's because of the burrito I had for lunch and the sodium it had! I'm drinking a ton of water to flush it out but I don't automatically assume I gained 4 lbs in one day. It's impossible! However, this doesn't work for everybody. You have to find a method that works for you.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but I only log when I've lost.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Absolutely DO NOT weigh yourself every day.

I think this works for some people but not all. I weigh myself every day because it keeps me in check.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same day and time. I eye the scale throughout the week but usually resist the temptation to jump on it.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I can't help it. I weigh myself every morning. It seems to budge downward about a half pound a day and that really motivates me. There was one night over the weekend where I didn't eat dinner until 11 PM. The scale showed a pound increase the next morning, but I expected that and wasn't discouraged. I only record the losses on MFP just to make sure that ticker goes in the direction I need it to.

Perhaps when my weight loss slows to a more modest pace and I don't have as far to go to goal, then I can gain enough self-control to limit the weighing to once a week.
  • sar586
    sar586 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a couple of times a day BUT I only log my weight on Saturday mornings. I'm not obsessed with what it says and I don't let it get to me but I like to see how certain foods affect my body and it's ability to retain/lose weight!

I do the exact same thing.

No matter what you do, make sure you do it the EXACT same every time. Same time, same day, same scale, same clothes (or same NO clothes! ha)
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    once a week, Friday at 5 pm , naked

True dat. Except at 8am.
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily. everytime I wake up, I call it my dry weight. This is what keeps me on track, focused and accountable on a daily basis.