Tips for beginner/overweight joggers

Options
Greetings! I want to add jogging to my exercise program. I just bought a good pair of running shoes and will be adding a set of inserts to them. I need to get ready for the Warrior Dash in September and the running is the only part that scares me! My current weight is 258 pounds. Did any of you jog at this weight? Anyone have any tips on ways to prevent injury or make it easier? This week during my 30 minute walk, I added 90 seconds of jogging 3 or 4 times. Should I just keep increasing it? Thanks!

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I started running at 285 so don't worry about that, as long as your shoes are the right kind for your pronation and you take it gently to start with it's a great way to get in shape. I'm 250 now and doing a 10k on Sunday.
  • LosinMama2b
    Options
    I'm doing the C25k program which helps with knowing how to work your way up with running. I've got the App on my iphone that helps majorly too since it keeps track of my time for me. But if you don't have an iphone you can just do it with a stop watch. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml This website will give you all the info you need or www.c25k.com
  • enokij
    enokij Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a great way to get started slowly...
    http://www.c25k.com/
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd start looking at a Couch 2 5k training program! You have just enough time and it starts out very similar to what you did last night -- 30 minutes with intervals of running!
  • Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    Options
    Look into the Couch to 5k... you can google it. I've NEVER been able to run, and I love this! You start out slow and work yourself up, but sounds like your on the right track!
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi There! I found that the Couch to 5K program is a great way to get started with jogging. Google it and you should be able to find it very easily. It is challenging, but not so hard that you want to give up, and I find that it helps my sense of accomplishment if I have a set plan and then can follow it.
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    You might find a couch to 5 k program helpful - you can find them to download on itunes or they can be downloaded to your smartphone.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5k program.

I just started jogging myself when I got to the 240 range. but before then I did a lot of walking and used the elliptical machine in the gym. Good luck and enjoy, I actually am loving some running now.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I hear great things about the Couch to 5K program. There are lots of them out there.
  • lbarnett300
    Options
    I started running around that weight. I used C25K to build up. I have now run several 5K races and run 5-6 times a week. Good Luck
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of shoes, it makes a huge difference.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Build up slowly. Don't push yourself from 0 to 60 all at once or you'll probably end up with shin splints! Also, stretch really well after jogging every time. Good luck!
  • dljmurphy
    dljmurphy Posts: 6
    Options
    You're off to a good start. I started jogging at a heavy weight as well. Make sure you have no underlying physical reasons not to jog. Have a physical and make sure your doctor says to go for it. Then you may want to google "couch to 5k". This is a great training program that got me in shape for my first 5k run.

For heavier runners the surface you are on does matter. Grass, dirt, track, in that order of preference. This will minimize the impact on your joints. If you must run on the street, asphalt is better than concrete. Some soreness is to be expected, but you shouldn't have pain.

Good luck! I would love to hear how your progress goes!!!
  • beckey24
    beckey24 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the couch to 5k program and I am at 289. I actually started this when I was around 293.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i was jogging at 325 lbs; I jog in place alot, i started at being able to do 1 minute at a time, several times a day, and now i can get up to 5 minutes at a time several times a day; i havent been training to run, just enjoy jogging in place because i can do it at home, at work, anywhere, during commercials on tv, while the microwave is counting down, in front of a clock with a second hand, etc. If I were to have been training everyday for it I know i could probably jog 15minutes straight, at least, cuz i did it before and after a week i was up to 8minutes straight.
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about the C25K program, it is great program, and it works. My other piece of advice is to take it very slow. To many try to take it to fast, and either burn out quickly, or injure themselves.
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I echo everything said about C25k. I will start on the Week 2 running tomorrow - I have done the Week 1 jogs for 7 days in total. The feeling of success to achieve the 8 mins of jogging the first time is difficult to describe.

Go for it!
  • Decisneros
    Decisneros Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All good advice from everyone! Also, I was told that with the shoe inserts to break them in before you start running with them. You can cause more damage to yourself using them straight out of the box.

Have fun training!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Hey Welcome to Running! its an awesome sport and great cardio workout. If you take the time and do it right, it can provide some awesome benefits (Ok... I admit, I am biased) Let me give you a few tips... I was over 320 when I started and now run 40-50 Km per week.

1. Listen to your body and be careful not to overdo it. Pain is an early warning system that shouldn't be ignored.
    2. C25K is an excellent start, but why not look into a Learn to Run Clinic put on by a local running store. Easier to run in a group, its scheduled, you have a trained coach to gleam knowledge from and the peer support is usually fantastic.
    3. Never exceed your previous weeks run by more than 10%. If you run 10 miles this week, you should limit yourself to 11 miles next week. It helps prevent injuries.
    4. Baby steps... remember that people who run and complete full marathons have been doing this for a very long time. Don't get frustrated by slow progress. Instead marvel at your successes.
    5. Enjoy the ride and make some friends. It is easier to keep going when you have someone helping to motivate you.
    6. Hydrate... constantly. Your body will thank you. Running can be an intensive activity. The average runner loses between 500 and 1500 ml of sweat per hour.
    7. Avoid cotton. Cotton acts as a sponge and can be hard on the skin. It can lead to chafing and blisters. Look for clothes made of "Tech Materials" . Common names include Coolmotion, Dry Fit, etc. These are breathable materials that dry quickly and wick moisture from the body. You don't want blistered nipples... trust me. You just don't.
    8. Replace your shoes every 300 miles. Shoes break down quickly and are easier to replace than shins/ankles/feet etc. When you run, you are applying several times your body weight per square inch in impact to your shoes. This happens up to a couple thousand times a mile. Don't cheap out on shoes, your feet will thank you.
    9. For safety's sake, Carry a minimum of three things with you... Identification, Cell phone and Cab Fare. Because you just never know... Also ensure that someone knows where you will be running and approximately when you will be back.
    10. Running is like building a house... it has a foundation, walls and a roof. Speed is the roof and the last thing you'll tack on. Endurance if the foundation. Work on the foundation first.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more... but work calls.

Good Luck!
  • Pierced
    Pierced Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You have all inspired me . I need to check out c25k now. I tried jogging several years ago, ended up with a stress fracture in my left shin and on crutches for 6 weeks. Just decided then that fat girls should not jog. So excited to see what this entails. Thanks