What will toning my arms do (+ thighs question)?

I am very unhappy with my arms at the moment. I find them quite "chubby" and it does not look like they have any muscle definition to them. They measure about 9.5 inches around (biceps area). Will doing arm exercises make me lose inches from my arms? Or is that all fat loss? I know you can't spot reduce with fat :( but I'm wondering if strength exercises will help me lose.

Also, I am quite unhappy with my legs. I am a runner and I can see muscle definition in them, however, I am still unhappy with their size. They aren't big, it's just they aren't as small as I'd like. I'd like to lose another 0.5 - 1 inch from them ( thighs are currently about 19.5-20 inches). But I am also nearly 5'7 and 123 pounds. Should I try and lose more weight hoping that it comes off my legs? Or just accept that I will never have small thighs?

Thanks!

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited August 2016
    I just measured my bicep, it's 9.5in and 10.5 (about) flexed, and I have tiny arms, lol. If you lift weights, you will gain muscle (if you're in a calorie surplus). I just measured my thigh and it's 21 in. My thighs are fairly muscular, not skinny at all but no fat really. It's up to you if you can accept that or not. Personally, I think I'm very proportional.

eta: I'm 5'5" and 138 lbs
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    You should read this, it may be helpful. I think what you are seeing as "fat arms" "fat thighs" are just your muscles at rest (not flexed). If you want to see toned arms and thighs without needing to "flex" you will need to build up your muscles. thefrisky.com/2015-02-26/thats-not-arm-flab-thats-your-tricep-on-knowing-your-own-body/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    At 5'7 and 123 pounds you should be thinking about gaining weight, not losing more. You are bordering on an unhealthy weight. You seem overly concerned about a mere 0.5" on your thighs, which cover the largest bone in your body.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    My arms and legs are bigger than you and I'm 5'2". While I think my legs are a tad big for my short stature, they would look fine on someone 5'7". And my arms are scrawny, even if they are solid muscle.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 536 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am very unhappy with my arms at the moment. I find them quite "chubby" and it does not look like they have any muscle definition to them. They measure about 9.5 inches around (biceps area). Will doing arm exercises make me lose inches from my arms? Or is that all fat loss? I know you can't spot reduce with fat :( but I'm wondering if strength exercises will help me lose.

Also, I am quite unhappy with my legs. I am a runner and I can see muscle definition in them, however, I am still unhappy with their size. They aren't big, it's just they aren't as small as I'd like. I'd like to lose another 0.5 - 1 inch from them ( thighs are currently about 19.5-20 inches). But I am also nearly 5'7 and 123 pounds. Should I try and lose more weight hoping that it comes off my legs? Or just accept that I will never have small thighs?

Thanks!

I'm female and your height. My biceps are 13.5" unflexed and I don't find mine flabby. I do have a large frame and weigh a lot more than you do. They were an inch bigger 6/25/2015. I've done a variety of exercises - swimming, yoga, weight lifting, and have lost weight since then, so cannot attribute the size decrease to any one issue.

But, weighlifting often helps people become happier with what they see in the mirror. Please note than on the picture on the right she is 18 pounds heavier than in the picture in the middle.

m0aq30hiw3jc.jpg

I loved these pictures the first time I saw them, and I'm still impressed. I congratulate this person, and also thank them for showing what IS possible. :)
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Fursian wrote: »

Thanks!

I'm female and your height. My biceps are 13.5" unflexed and I don't find mine flabby. I do have a large frame and weigh a lot more than you do. They were an inch bigger 6/25/2015. I've done a variety of exercises - swimming, yoga, weight lifting, and have lost weight since then, so cannot attribute the size decrease to any one issue.

But, weighlifting often helps people become happier with what they see in the mirror. Please note than on the picture on the right she is 18 pounds heavier than in the picture in the middle.

m0aq30hiw3jc.jpg

I loved these pictures the first time I saw them, and I'm still impressed. I congratulate this person, and also thank them for showing what IS possible. :)

Zero chance that that last picture she is 140 pounds. I would say 100 pounds tops.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member

Zero chance that that last picture she is 140 pounds. I would say 100 pounds tops. [/quote]

@musclesandmusic866
    I am just wondering: where in that picture does it tell you how tall she is? How can you just assume she is 100 lb?
    dbfdt01j20ic.jpg
    154.jpg 40.3K
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    B4Rachael wrote: »
    Zero chance that that last picture she is 140 pounds. I would say 100 pounds tops.

@musclesandmusic866
    I am just wondering: where in that picture does it tell you how tall she is? How can you just assume she is 100 lb?
    dbfdt01j20ic.jpg
    [/quote]

She doesn't have 18 lbs more muscle in the third picture than she had in the second.
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    edited August 2016
    You can tell she is short...she's tiny
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Fursian wrote: »

Thanks!

m0aq30hiw3jc.jpg

Yeah, I'm not buying it either. I am 5'9" and looked thin and fit at 123lb and look thin and fit at close to 140lb but am measurably BIGGER after gaining muscle. Needed new pants and everything. Proportions are better and I am smoother, my sister said "you look thinner" but if you put the pictures side by side no way, my legs are bigger, arms are bigger, butt is bigger, I am bigger not smaller.

Like singingflutelady said, she doesn't have 18lb more muscle in the second picture. She would be bigger.

I do believe that more padded people can stay the same size or smaller and weigh more when muscled, but if going from skinny to fit, no. You will get bigger.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    To the OP - yes I think you will be happier with your arms if you work out and get them stronger. They ARE NOT big for your height, they are thin, but maybe the shape isn't what you want, they will get shapely quickly if you lift weights, arms respond fast.

You didn't put a picture but your legs don't sound big for your height either. I have gotten mine down to 18" doing aerobics but at that low of a weight my butt disappears.

Your weight is good, it's toward the bottom edge of healthy for your height, so you are right you don't want to lose more. Just maintain and exercise, you will see changes that you like.

I agree with the consensus, you are probably not seeing yourself realistically - we are our own worst critics. If you saw another lady with your exact build, I bet you would think she looked good.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member

She's 5'7". Same as me. Not exactly short. And I looked strikingly similar to her when I cut to 135lb. I'd say possible.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

She's 5'7". Same as me. Not exactly short. And I looked strikingly similar to her when I cut to 135lb. I'd say possible.

But there is not an 18 lbs muscle difference between photo 2 and 3
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Had they skipped the middle photo? Sure, I could buy it. As is? No.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member

But there is not an 18 lbs muscle difference between photo 2 and 3

No, there's not. If you look at her blog, she claims 18lb LBM increase in one year. That is highly unlikely, I agree. But I don't doubt she's around 135/140 in that last pic. Or, at the least, that aesthetic can occur in that weight range for that height.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    B4Rachael wrote: »
    You should read this, it may be helpful. I think what you are seeing as "fat arms" "fat thighs" are just your muscles at rest (not flexed). If you want to see toned arms and thighs without needing to "flex" you will need to build up your muscles. thefrisky.com/2015-02-26/thats-not-arm-flab-thats-your-tricep-on-knowing-your-own-body/

I agree with this. OP - I am the same weight as you at 5'4'' and I am also a runner. My arms measure 10" around the biceps area when relaxed and 12" when flexed. I used to have flabby arms when I was quite a bit heavier than I am now, and I always wanted a nice lean, defined look, so I did lots of push-ups while losing weight (and later did some aerial classes and pull-ups) and now have the look I wanted. However, when totally relaxed, they don't look muscular, they just look like arms.

As for thighs, runners do just have big thighs. They look okay. Mine are 19" and trust me, there is practically no fat on there. All the girls I run with have pretty big muscular thighs and they all look good. They're just a PITA when you're trying to buy skinny jeans.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 536 Member
    Hmm, there seems to be doubt over that picture by a few of you here. I kinda just saw it and believed :/ -- Were they pitching products or meal plans on their blog along with this picture? Wondering the angle/reason to lie about the weight and LBM?