Help;(

I've lost 140 pounds, totally changed my life and taken control of my future. But I still have 40 more pounds to lose and can't seem to do it. I can't figure out what the mental block is but there definitely is a mental block. I've gained and lost the same 10 pounds for about 3 months now. This all started when I needed to have gall bladder surgery. Has anyone else experienced this with the last of their weight? I've still been very active which I think has helped from the scale tipping to far in the other direction. But I can't seem to break this rather annoying cycle. Help!

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    You will be asked how you weigh your food/measure calories in and out? But...I have to ask...How much do you love yourself? What is our self-view? When you look in the mirror or pass a mirror what body do you see? Do you live like you will live after you've lost the 40lbs? Are you on a diet or have you changed life-view on food?

You're the boss of you - not your body or metabolic rate. You may have to work infinitely harder to lose these last 40lbs as you did the first 140. You have to ask yourself if the fat will win, or you will win.

^^good points
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    You will be asked how you weigh your food/measure calories in and out? But...I have to ask...How much do you love yourself? What is our self-view? When you look in the mirror or pass a mirror what body do you see? Do you live like you will live after you've lost the 40lbs? Are you on a diet or have you changed life-view on food?

You're the boss of you - not your body or metabolic rate. You may have to work infinitely harder to lose these last 40lbs as you did the first 140. You have to ask yourself if the fat will win, or you will win.

These are all fantastic points and a great response. I would also add to this, have you taken a break from dieting at any point? If you're not feeling into it mentally, maybe this is a good point to step away for a bit, recharge your mental batteries and eat at maintenance, and come back to the game refreshed and ready to go. Sometimes I have found that helps for me. Yeah, it means delaying progress, but that's better than burning out. I'm a big believer in giving yourself breaks. :)
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Love thyself is a handy mantra - but if you are eating too many calories that is more than likely the cause of your stall, rather than any mental block.
    You are eating at maintenance, so now at least you've learned what that looks like.
    Because you've still got 40lbs to lose I'd really gear back on the calories, go as low as you dare for 20lbs, then slowly come back up again to reach 100 or 200 cals/day less than your current target.
    It's not a mental thing - it's a physical thing.
    (Though absolutely right to do all of the above AND be kind to yourself.) you've done fantastically well so far!
  • letitbe8807
    letitbe8807 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks! I will definitely try it. After much thought I've decided to stop doing daily weigh ins. While this really helped me in the beginning its hurting me now. Every time there's a daily fluctuation I binge and can't stop. So I'll be doing monthly weigh ins from now on. Focusing on being happy and loving myself!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited August 2016
    Thanks! I will definitely try it. After much thought I've decided to stop doing daily weigh ins. While this really helped me in the beginning its hurting me now. Every time there's a daily fluctuation I binge and can't stop. So I'll be doing monthly weigh ins from now on. Focusing on being happy and loving myself!

You look great. Sometimes, the scale is frustrating. But when I would be disappointed in the scale and want to eat, I tell myself that I am not going to waste an 80 pound weight loss because of point 2 pounds on the scale. It really is a mental game. Hang in there. Be encouraged. I also agree that if the scale is affecting you negatively, it's best to stop weighing daily.

Weighing was much harder for me until I learned that many factors affect scale weight and they don't necessary reflect fat loss or gain. Since I lost so much weight, I retain fluid so easily.