Bmr and calorie help please

Options
I've looked at a few different places but no calculator gives me the same answers. On average I seem to be around 2000 calories for my BMR.. could anyone try to confirm this?
Stats:
24 year old male
5'11" tall, 236 pounds
For several weeks (before I found out about BMR) I was eating around 1500 calories a day. Now I'm aiming for that 2k but I want to make sure I'm not overeating. Does that 2k seem right?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    2083 based on your stats - which covers basic bodily functions. Such as heart/lung/brain activity and whatnot.

Then you also use energy to move you thru your day. This would be 'activity level' and depends on your hobbies, job, day to day routine. For inactive/sedentary it would be about 20-25% of BMR. For more active, it would be higher.

Last you burn additional calories during cardio as you're moving multiple major muscle groups for an extended period of time.

Worst case scenario, assuming fairly inactive, your TDEE would be at least 2500 so 2000 would be on par to lose ~1 pound per week. Again, worst case scenario.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just to confirm what @StaciMarie1974 stated, I ran your stats to and it came out to 2085.. TDEE was 2502. So it looks like you are in good shape.
  • reineke1992
    reineke1992 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ok. I have a desk job but I walk 10000+ steps a day and do ~45 MInutes at the gym 6 days a week. I was just scared to be eating back a percentage of my workout calories if I was somehow messing up my BMR and overeating and not knowing it.

Thank you very much!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    2000 cal/day is on the lower end of calorie intake for guys. For sure, you should not be going as low as 1500 cal/day.