Newbie Strength Training Questions

Options
I've been slacking on strength training. My workouts are jogging, swimming, boxing, and yoga in whatever combination I am feeling that week. I have Monday and Wednesday night yoga classes I can attend, so I was thinking about adding some machine-based strength training beforehand, about 30 minutes worth (and attempting to go twice a week regularly).

So here are my questions:

Is it okay to do weight machines before yoga?
Is 30 minutes enough time to accomplish anything?
Should I have one upper day and one lower day or mix it up? (If separate days are recommended, should I mix it up in weeks when I know I can't make both days?)
Are there any machines I should be sure to hit or avoid?
Do I need any type of warm-up? If so, what do you recommend?
Any questions I am not asking but should?

FYI- I am not completely new to this, just haven't done it in a while an was never very regular with it or bothered to learn how to optimize my workouts.

Thanks!

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Im going to say this as general advice for best results get a structured program that uses compound lifts (not machines, free weights). Probably for a beginner a full body or a upper lower split would be good but you could do like a push pull legs if you wanted as well. If you only have 2 days a week i would do 2 full body days.

As for stretching i like to do a quick stretch then start out lift for whatever weight im doing then get into lifting heavy.

To answer your question about yoga after lifting theres no reason thatd be bad, you may just be a little tired during the yoga.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Do you enjoy the swimming, jogging, boxing, and yoga? Or do you just do them?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would do mostly freeweights and/or cable machines, not machines that guide the movement, since that's not as functional. Follow a proven program for best results (NROL4W, Stronglifts, etc). Generally they will be full body workouts. Yes, strength training can usually be done before yoga. :+1:
  • sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions on freeweight programs instead of machines. I will definitely look into the programs.

My goals is somewhat weight-loss, but looking good and feeling good are more important to me than the number on the scale. I hate jogging, but I do if for the convenience factor of the lowest time commitment for the highest calorie burn. I enjoy yoga and swimming and love boxing.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Full body workout if you only have 2 days and you want to lose weight. I am trying to build muscle an have a split program but I workout with weights 4 o 5 days a week.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Everyone who's been at it a while seems to have experimented and settled into the way that's best for their body. I'd say to try various things and see what gets the best results for you. I do the cardio first then the lifting. That said, I am not yet lifting all that much weight. Perhaps my routine will change over time.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    If you don't like jogging, ditch it and lift more instead.
  • sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Hahahah, but what if I don't like lifting?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    sarahearra wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Hahahah, but what if I don't like lifting?

If you gotta do one you don't like, lifting is by far more beneficial to body composition.