Sweating vs not sweating

Options
Does sweating burn a different amount of calories vs doing the same amount of exercise not sweating? For example, let's say that on a cool day I walk for 1 mile at any normal pace. The next day, it's HOT outside and I'm dripping bullets, but I walk the same distance at the same pace. Will my calories burned be different on that day vs the day that it's cool out? If so, how much?

Replies

• justifiedfitnesssystems
    Options
    Yep waffle is 100% right. You wont be burning much more just getting rid of water. Too many people judge a workout by the amount they sweat. Everyone is different so I never pay attention to it.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Sweat is simply to cool the body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's no significant difference.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Sweat is just a way for your body to cool itself off.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i would be at my goal weight if sweating=difficulty of work out. heck, i'd be able to eat whatever i wanted

Hahah same here. I have a medical condition that causes me to make 3x the amount of adrenaline than a normal person, which means I sweat excessively, especially during workouts. I'd be thin as a rail if increased sweating meant more calorie burning.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    one side of my family gets red in the face, the other side of the family is heavy sweaters. I look like i'm about to keel over half the time.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I'm both. Red faced AND heavy sweater, blech. I went for a simple one mile walk outside at a park with my friend. At the end, he was like "whoa, your face is SO red!"

I'm pale so it really shows. Bleh.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sweat has nothing to do with calorie burning at all. You will loose more water weight the more you sweat.. I think 1 pint of water lost through sweat is 1 pound on the scale.

Sweat is an indicator of hydration and regulating your core temperature during exercise.