Getting things ''moving''

Options
This is very embarrassing, but a problem that is taking over my life. For years now I have struggled with going to the toilet. I will go for days without a visit, become extremely bloated which causes me to become very low, I also get heads and feel lethargic.

Last week I had a cheat meal...well the following day I felt amazing. Several visits to the toilet, my figure was looking great and I was on top of the world. Gradually since I have slid back into my usual slump.

I eat healthy, plenty of veg and water, and exercise 5 times per week.

I have tried so many things..prunes, over the counter laxatives, pysilium husk, but nothing seems to work. Dr gave me some sachets that mix with water but they were not much good either.

Any help gratefully recieved

Replies

• minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Something I've always used is pumpkin or any kind of squash. Boil & purée & add to foods, or eat by itself. It helps with digestion & elimination problems, & in fact, I use it for my cats too! Safe, no medication involved.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a look at the macro and micro breakdown of the day you had your cheat meal and compared it to what your normal breakdown looks like? You might find, as chewyxrage suggested, that you ate more fat that day which helped loosen things up.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I definitely ate more fat in my cheat day. I enjoyed spicy meats and cheese. That has given me something to think about...thank you
  • SindiMc
    SindiMc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Drop the cheese all together, it will bind you up. Lots and Lots of water should also help.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do you track your fibre? I eat a load of veg yet don't get enough fibre unless I focus on it.
  • Spitspot81
    Options
    Do you track your fibre? I eat a load of veg yet don't get enough fibre unless I focus on it.

Do you mind me asking how many grams of fibre you try to get each day please
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I aim for 25g a day
  • hlltwin
    hlltwin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Since I've had the same problem, I looked it up... the formula is 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories consumed. It isn't easy for me to get that much, even eating fresh veggies as I do in the summer, as RuNaRoUnDaFiEld said.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Total fiber, 25 g daily.
    Insoluble fiber 1/3 - 1/2 of your total fiber.
    Soluble fiber 1/2-2/3 of your total fiber.
    Magnesium supplement 250mg twice daily.
    Water, drink 2 qts or 2 ltrs daily.
    Veg, plenty.
    Fruit, some.
    Problem solved.

• browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but it helped me immensely. When I was pregnant with each of my kids I would get extremely constipated to the point where my stomach hurt all the time I was extremely bloated, I felt nauseous etc...it was absolutely horrible. Nothing worked to get me going. Then I heard of squeezing a lemon into hot water and drinking that. U drink one mug of it as the last thing u have at night and a mug of it before u have anything else in the morning. It got me going quickly and I kept up the routine of drinking it before bed and in the morning throughout the rest of my pregnancy and wasn't constipated again. I'm sure lots of people with think it's a bunch of hooey but it worked for me. Maybe it'll work for u too.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    25g of fibre everyday helps me. I have the same thing after a cheat meal, I think it has to do with the sudden increase in volume that seems to get things moving. For the rest of the time I try to focus on high fibre foods, such as peas, raspberries, broccoli, beans. If I don't hit 25g it can take a couple of days to get everything going again.
  • Spitspot81
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's messages. I am not getting 25grams each day so that is something I need to try and address
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    chewyxrage wrote: »
    Are you eating enough fats? Sometimes when trying to eat lower calories, people forget to hit their daily fat goal. This can definitely cause constipation...

So much this ^^

I would also suggest adding ground flax seed to your diet. Just a little each day can do wonders for this type of problem.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    spitapot81 wrote: »
    This is very embarrassing, but a problem that is taking over my life. For years now I have struggled with going to the toilet. I will go for days without a visit, become extremely bloated which causes me to become very low, I also get heads and feel lethargic.

Last week I had a cheat meal...well the following day I felt amazing. Several visits to the toilet, my figure was looking great and I was on top of the world. Gradually since I have slid back into my usual slump.

I have tried so many things..prunes, over the counter laxatives, pysilium husk, but nothing seems to work. Dr gave me some sachets that mix with water but they were not much good either.

How many Calories are you eating? The bolded, along with the fact that you say you eat plenty of veg, makes me think you aren't eating very much. This could also be a large contributor to your problem - the less you take in, the less you have to come out.
  • Spitspot81
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

How many Calories are you eating? The bolded, along with the fact that you say you eat plenty of veg, makes me think you aren't eating very much. This could also be a large contributor to your problem - the less you take in, the less you have to come out.

I also definitely think this could be a factor. Info try and limit my intake...I eat about 1500 when I should really be eating about 1700.

I think this post has given me something to think about!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Have you seen your doctor for a referral to a gastroenterologist? IBS with constipation can be a nightmare to deal with, but they have medications (prescription that you take daily) that can help.
  • Spitspot81
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Have you seen your doctor for a referral to a gastroenterologist? IBS with constipation can be a nightmare to deal with, but they have medications (prescription that you take daily) that can help.

My dr gave me sachets a couple of years ago but I didn't find them to help. I have really appreciated all the comments and am gonna take them on board. If all else fails I will head back to dr
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

My dr gave me sachets a couple of years ago but I didn't find them to help. I have really appreciated all the comments and am gonna take them on board. If all else fails I will head back to dr

I know there is a new medication on the market, linzes? I think. I have no experience with it, but it might be worth looking into.
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here's my normal daily fiber intake (gulp). If you get less than 25g, I'd say that is definitely the problem.

39jyu41nsom7.png