Self concious about running in public

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
I have a treadmill and I've been walking on it but I want to start at least jogging. Problem: I have TERRIBLE balance, walking is hard enough on the treadmill without having to hang onto the rails so I don't vear off and topple over :/
I feel that I'm incredibly jiggly so running in public is like...watching someone run in a jello suit.

Is there a good time where most people aren't out and about or an advice as to how to get past the fact that people are probably going to be watching me jiggle my butt up and down the streets?

Replies

• RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Run first thing in the morning, not many people are out and the quiet is very empowering!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Under Armour clothing or knockoff's will help with the jiggling and help stabilize your body. I run around dusk. I could care less what they think about me. It's really about YOU! Most people over the age of 18 will be thinking wow look at her I should be out there with her. I've never had anyone stop and say anything to me. Go get some under armour for the areas you are most concerned about and run for the sun!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    FIRST THING IN THE MORNING! the only people that are out are the people running/jogging/biking/walking... exercising just like you... and if they don't wanna see you "jiggle" then tell them they don't have to look!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, since I've seen some dumbas* teenagers in my town moo at some poor woman jogging, which was absolutely horrible. But I say fck 'em. You're actually making the effort to get out there and better yourself in the public eye, so that makes you such a better person than the people that choose to make fun of you.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The best way to get over it is to go out and do it. I hated the idea of people seeing me run in public, and my worst fear came true one evening: the track was locked, so I had to run in the park. I thought people would point and laugh, but no one did. Either they just ignore you or they smile and nod as you go past. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you. I'm slow and uncoordinated, but no one cares about what you're doing, I promise.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I know how hard this can be. I get these issues too. Sometimes I will only go walking later in the evening, when it's getting dark for that reason. But the thing is, you are taking your "jello butt" out there and exercising it. You're not sitting on it anymore letting things get out of hand. So who cares if it shakes, rattles and rolls a little bit more than you like! All that shaking is helping you burn off those calories! Get some good, comfy fitting exercise clothes, plug in some awesome music and tune out the world. That jog is about you! And you're amazing!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    The people who matter don't mind, and the people who mind don't matter ;-)
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I will run in the privacy of my home or garage but outside, in public?!?!?! I have a special set of music I listen to and run in intervals during each song. When I went walking yesterday, one of the songs came on and I started to take off and I froze. I was afraid my neighbors would run screaming that there was an earthquake! (One already told me I look like a hamster that lost its wheel! I walk the same stretch of road so my kids can see me from the yard.)

No real solution but TONS of understanding!
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    I run early (6:30am) but not because I don't want people to see me. It's just when I like doing it. Not too many out at that time of day. I also use the local high school track on weekends. It's private and the track is softer than asphalt.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, since I've seen some dumbas* teenagers in my town moo at some poor woman jogging, which was absolutely horrible. But I say fck 'em. You're actually making the effort to get out there and better yourself in the public eye, so that makes you such a better person than the people that choose to make fun of you.

YUCK! I hate when people make rude comments about heavier people out walking or jogging. It makes me so mad and I just want to say "how can you make fun of someone who is out trying to so something about their health, instead of laying on the couch at home eating potato chips?" Fck'em is right!
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I completely know how you feel - I enjoy jogging but not so much when there are others around. There is a park close to my house that the "soccer moms" and "trophy wives" frequent so I avoid it like the plague unless I am walking but that is just because I am very self-conscious. The best way to go about it is just pop on your headphones and let everybody else vanish. One of the best saying that I have read here on MFP is one that many people have on their profile - No matter how slow you are, you are still lappnig everyone on the couch :) Good luck
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    don't worry about what others think, they are the ones with problems because they aren't even trying.

seriously it doesn't matter what size or shape you are in - i was through very bad choices 2 stone underweight resembling a skeleton - went out running and a group of young men shouted get that fat *kitten* moving thunder thighs and yes i was the only one around at the time it did kill me but now and with jiggle a plenty i run and i don't care i love running and know its good for me and thats all that matters

happy running x
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    I might add, don't worry what others think. Yes you may have some people make fun of you but my experience has been when they see you sticking to it and the change it is making they become your supporters. Self Dedication is a powerful motivator for others.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I swear you stole my thoughts! I feel the same way! I want to run in public so badly, but it's hard. I live on a military post, so all the men are awake and driving to pt in the morning, and all kinds of fit people run in the evenings so I feel like I'll embarrass myself out there!
  • lillianelise
    lillianelise Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You know what? I haven't really read the comments but my first thought was this - the people that see you running are probably thinking that they wished they could get out and run... had the energy, stamina, time, whatever - I don't run and I am not sure if I could it just seems like its too hard to get started or whatever. But when I see someone out running I just think to myself - man, I wish I could do that or had the motivation to do that. Just go do it
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love running outdoors! very different from running on a treadmill! I really dont mind other people being around, I remember being at my heaviest and trying to run and getting a thumbs up from a total stranger who was also running, so nice! :D I think I mind more running when there is people around that i know lol
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    My advice is just to do it! Put on some music and pop in those earbuds, lace up those shoes and go! Nobody will care, and if they do, ignore them. I know when I started running I figured runners were stuck up and superior, but you know what? They aren't! I haven't met a single person in the year I've been running that's a runner who isn't super supportive of other runners! We all started somewhere and personally if I see someone who looks like they are just starting to run I give them a big smile and wave and even a "hi there" when I can!!! Go for it... and if some dumb kid says something, just keep going... they have no idea what real life is like anyway... and keep the music on. It helps!

GO FOR IT!!!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    just go for it once and you will see that you will be more concerned with your workout than what everyone else is doing - any other runner on the road is totally in their own head, not caring about what anyone else is doing. If you really look that ridiculous, yes, some aholes may chuckle in their own heads at you, but you will never know anyway and you shouldn't care. Just be proud of yourself for doing some good, for going out of your comfort zone, and soon enough you will be plenty comfortable running in public.

If it helps, just keep your head down and don't make eye contact with anyone - just be sure to watch for those pesky cars...they are always out to get us!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Run in public because I promise you there will be someone at the park/track/wherever just like you. You'll know them when you see them, because when you flash them a smile and a nod (and you best be smiling and nodding) they'll beam right back at you and possibly trip (there is this ridiculously hot guy at my park and he always smiles and nods and I always trip) BUT they'll be thrilled that someone else was there and got it, gave them the smile and nod of encouragement that they needed.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Under Armour clothing or knockoff's will help with the jiggling and help stabilize your body. I run around dusk. I could care less what they think about me. It's really about YOU! Most people over the age of 18 will be thinking wow look at her I should be out there with her. I've never had anyone stop and say anything to me. Go get some under armour for the areas you are most concerned about and run for the sun!

I completely agree. I see all shapes and sizes out running, and am much more critical of the skinnies wearing little or no clothing to run (or too much makeup, perfume, etc) than someone "jiggling."