Light Workouts?

Options
So I'm looking to lose weight (like 35 pounds - I'm 5'2" and weigh 160 right now and would like to get down to 125, which is smack dab in the middle of the range that I should be in, perhaps even closer to the higher side) after gaining a TON thanks to being put on workout restrictions. I've developed muscular damage in my bicep and patella femoral tendonitis in my knee and I've been told to avoid weight lifting and running until my team actually starts doing workouts.

Only problem is, since I've had to loaf around all summer, I'm out of shape and I'd like to get kind of back in shape before the workouts start. I can use dumbbells (like 10 or 15 pounds maximum), still. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Go for walks
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Walks, or cycling. My dad has knee issues, and cycling was what his doctor recommended.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Walks are good unless putting pressure in your knees gives you pain or a lot of discomfort; stationary or recumbent bike and the water rower may be better choices. You need to try and see what is best and less painful and damaging to your condition. My suggestion is that you talk to your doctor or a physical therapist so they can recommend "conditioning" exercises. And this recommendation applies to both your upper and lower body.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Walking, cycling, swimming, just to name a few.
  • AndrewD315
    AndrewD315 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Anything in the pool would be ideal!
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested, walking is a great way to start out. Just getting out to take a nice walk is good, but I love Leslie Sansone. She has a great variety of walk at home dvds that range from 1-6 miles and in varying levels of intensity. She's motivational without being overly annoying, which I like. ;) Plus there are only 4 basic moves that she uses and then builds upon them, so no fancy foot work, equipment or anything else is needed. My favorite dvds of hers are the Mix and Match Walk Blasters and The 5 Day Ultimate Walking Plan. Both let you do pre-set workouts or you can choose from several segments to make your own workout. Easy and fun.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Start light and work up. If I feel like crap I will do a light workout rather than none. When your light routine starts getting easy, step it up.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you're on workout restrictions--did they give you any idea of what you *can* do? I recently had knee surgery, so I'm on plenty of restrictions, but both my surgeon and physical therapist have a lengthy list of the things that I am allowed to do safely.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah...yoga, pool, or some fun and active homies would be a good thing while you let your body heal.
  • aeastham01
    aeastham01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @mitch16 no, not really. MY PT just said "just don't do anything that hurts" because tendonitis is a lot more...well, up in the air than a knee surgery is, I guess. I have my actual PT exercises that I do, but it's not anything that's going to actually keep me in good shape, it's just designed to strengthen the tendons around my knee. Like his logic was "I could tell you a bunch of stuff that you might not be able to do, but I don't know what hurts you and what doesn't." which was fair.