doing everything right and gaining weight

Options
I started Fitness Pal (again) 8 days ago. I've done everything right, healthy food within the calorie count, exercising 1 hour 3 days a week, increasing my water intake.

I've gained 1.5 lb?

Very discouraging.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Before you started did you exercise?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That's normal.

When you start an exercise routine your muscles have some inflammation and hold on to water. That will show up on the scale as a gain.

Keep doing it. Your muscles will get used to it and you'll pee it back out again. Check that weight again in about 4-6 weeks. Only then will you know if it's working or not. This process takes time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Water weight is the most likely culprit. Time of month - water weight, higher sodium day - water weight, sore muscles - water weight.

An actual fat gain would be an extra 5,250 calories. Even if your exercise calorie burns are over estimated (and you ate 100% of them back)......that's like 656 calories a day. It's got to be water (or waste) weight.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Nobody has a defined weight -- you have a weight range, and you will fluctuate through that range on a daily (really, an hourly) basis. If you only have 8 days of data, you don't have enough yet to tell how big your range is or where you were within it when you initially weighed in. (You could've happened to randomly weigh in at the lowest possible point in your range for the first time). Be patient and give it more time.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    How much water exactly? It's most likely water weight due to the increased water intake [1 liter = 2 pounds].
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP it water weight. Just keep in mind it is not remotely possible to gain that unless you truly did eat 5250 calories over your "maintain" calories.

Keep doing what you are doing, it will work itself out, the more daily weigh ins you do during your weight loss journey, you will see daily fluctuations like this either trend up or down. Its normal.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    We didn't get overweight in 8 days so we won't lose it fast either. Log like your life depends on it, be accurate and give it a few weeks. If you are adding exercise and changing calorie intake at the same you may also be hanging on to some water at the start
  • enprovence
    enprovence Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Terrific feedback. Thank you everyone. I am terrible at drinking water, so I am still only at around 4-5 glasses a day. I just do not think about. I am trying to establish a drinking water routine!
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you are strength training with weights, that will be the reason. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the scale...they're just numbers. Throw in some cardio-biking/swimming/running/walking and that will help you loose inches. Aim for half your body weight in water. It's hard at first but you get used to it. After a half marathon, I can loose a couple of pounds from all the sweat and running. However, if you are strength training, don't stop! Building muscle will help you run faster, pedal faster, swim faster...etc so you burn more calories. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    enprovence wrote: »
    I started Fitness Pal (again) 8 days ago. I've done everything right, healthy food within the calorie count, exercising 1 hour 3 days a week, increasing my water intake.

I've gained 1.5 lb?

Very discouraging.

Fret not. I can 1.5 pounds in a day, easily, just from variable water retention, and it took me about 8 weeks to start seeing results.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I agree that water weight could be the culprit.

However, I've been around long enough to have made mistakes and see other people make mistakes.
    My point is, make sure you're logging your calories accurately. I'm not trying to be offensive with the following:
    A woman in my office switched to 'healthy' salads and grossly miscalculated the calories in the cheese, nuts, and oils she was eating.
    I judged my evening "veggie burger" at 250 calories when it was, in fact, over 700 calories. (This is because I was ignoring the 'little' things, like olive oil, mayonaise, and ketchup.)

So, I'm not assuming anything about your situation. I am just throwing this out there as something to be aware of.