Vegan or vegetarian ?

Options

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a group consensus on a personal moral decision?
  • Aola23
    Aola23 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just stop eating dead animals. Easiest place to start. There was no good reason for an animal to die to be in your plate.

I read a quote similar to your comment the other day that particularly resonated with me. It went something along the lines of... "There are reasons to be vegetarian and only excuses to eat meat"

I thought it was pretty powerful as it just cut the BS and its message was clear!!
  • lmmacleod96
    lmmacleod96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on taking the first steps towards a plant based diet! I'm a vegetarian working on transitioning to veganism. Going meatless is easier than you think! Here is the way I look at it: Consuming meat means taking living things and converting them into waste. It's completely unnecessary to sustain our lives, so why do it? Even if you aren't completely convinced yet, I would recommend trying to substitute meat for plant based proteins little by little - just to show you that this lifestyle is not only possible, but sustainable and enjoyable as well!
  • Electric_Warfare
    Electric_Warfare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks to meat eaters we can now live a vegan lifestyle.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    its almost impossibly to get dairy that is ethical unless you have your own cow. I contacted every organic pasture local "ethical" farm near me here in San Diego. They treat these animals amazing.. in fact Straus only milks their cows once a day and then they are out the pasture ( this is not even close to the norm around the country in fact i think there are about 15 farms that do this)... sounds amazing right? Any calfs that are born male get shipped off to the beef/veal factory. So while not eating meat is great dairy is still pretty bad as well... especially commercial dairy.

edit I am not vegan or vegetarian but I have a masters in Nutrition and have done a lot of research on the subject. After I get my Crohns disease in check ( i don't absorb nutrients and can't get my anemia in check without meat right now) i will be cutting out meat again.

Well, yeah, what else are they supposed to do with males? It is a business. I don't expect them to kill themselves financially to keep every male that comes from the process. It is the best I can do without owning my own dairy animal (and I would eat the males or sell the meat otherwise, so...yeah) and I have no interest in giving up dairy completely. :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i went vegetarian as a teen after seeing a 3 minute video of a farmer dragging a cow behind his truck cause somehow the cow got caught and was being dragged

hearing the cow scream and cry seeing how it was being treated as if it was just an object no regard or care to stop to help because "its just a cow" it really really pissed me off. that very next day i told my mom id never eat meat again and that was it

been vegan now 5 years and it was a great decision no regrets about it what so ever
  • Its_now_or_never31
    Its_now_or_never31 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice support and friend requests I appreciate all that has been given. I stopped eating meat the day before this post and feel great and don't see me going back. Still learning on what to eat but I know with enough research I will find out what works for me and may not work for others but that's ok. Any change we do helps. Thanks again
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @cee134 I don't think the DASH diet is a vegetarian diet.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In my youth, I worked more years than I should have in the beef industry. The main takeaways from that experience follow:

Everything that lives will die.
    You, me, a tree, a steer, a deformed chicken, everything.

Everything is reused.
    It might not be reused or consumed today or tomorrow or until our sun reaches its red giant phase, but everything is reused.

Nature is cruel.
    If left to nature, and in a best-case scenario, a cow will lose her teeth and starve to death. It takes several months. (Predatory deaths are not pleasant, either, and often expedite starvation deaths.)

Humanity can be cruel.
    The operation I worked for tried to avoid this, however, I've probably seen the same videos and agree that people can be far more inhumane in providing meat than is necessary. Humanity can be cruel, and we can also be humane.

For me personally, based on my own observations, consuming meat and using animal products is ethical...provided the animals were not abused while they were alive and not killed in a cruel way. (Nature often uses methods we would consider cruel: poison, suffocation, crushing, drowning, etc.)
    A big question I ask myself is, "Is it better to never exist, or to exist and meet a quick and humane end?"

For anyone wondering what a more humane meat provider looks like, search for White Oak Pastures.
    I am not affiliated with them.
    Just because everything sucks doesn't mean you have to contribute to it. There is no humane murder for meat.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If youre going to do it. Id go vegan if youre going to do something do it right. Vegetarians eat things like eggs milk butter cheese which in all reality is just as bad. Im not a vegan i love meat. And ive seen those videos theyre disturbing but not all farms are like that. If you get eggs then they should be free range eggs not cage free free range. Same for any dairy products if you want the most humane ways including meat. But that will get expensive. But honestly being vegan is quite easy people make it seem hard but its not. But you seriously need to research what has animal products in it like geletin which would be jello and marshmallows and gummies or even skittles but thats for intense vegans because the shinny exterior is thatnks to a bettle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's an ethical decision only you can make for yourself

Personally I have no issue in being omnivorous ...but if if affects you to that extent take the steps you need to take to make yourself comfortable with your choices

It has nothing to do with health and fitness though
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @cee134 I don't think the DASH diet is a vegetarian diet.

It is, it has a vegetarian option. Or in other words, don't eat the 6 oz or less of lean meat it suggests a day, instead eat other sources of protein and take B12.
  • cee134
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

I disagree. Being plant based is ridiculously healthy, when done correctly.
  • blumoves
    blumoves Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd personally recommend starting with going vegetarian with the aim of becoming vegan. Good luck!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It's fine if you want to go veggie or vegan, but "Farm to Fridge" is a Shockumentary. There are many farms that treat their farm animals well. You just have to pay more for them. My grandfather was a butcher and he certainly did not treat animals like that!
    Where I live there are local farms you can buy from when they butcher- they are happy to have you walk around and see how they farm. You can get half a cow or pig as well as chicken who get too old to lay eggs.
    But again, it's your life. You want to be vegetarian, you go for it!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »

Eating on moderation is ridiculously healthy, when done correctly.

Eating low carb is ridiculously healthy, when done correctly.

See how that works.

156961-hes-right-you-know-meme-vC4c.png
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options

See how that works.

No... what is low carb done right, isn't that one of the great debates of the internet? What is moderation done right? I could easily argue that moderation done right means plant based and not over eating. That very wide open to interpretation...

Plant based diets when done correctly include lots of whole foods, and proper supplements. It is extremely low in cholesterol, saturated fats, added sugars and refined carbs, all of which when added together have been shown to cause people to have a much higher risk of heart disease and diabetes.

So yes, the main reason I choose to do a plant based diet is to become healthier. I'm not saying it's the only way to eat but it is an extremely healthy way to eat and a great option for people choosing to become healthier.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

See how that works.

No... what is low carb done right, isn't that one of the great debates of the internet? What is moderation done right? I could easily argue that moderation done right means plant based and not over eating. That very wide open to interpretation...

Plant based diets when done correctly include lots of whole foods, and proper supplements. It is extremely low in cholesterol, saturated fats, added sugars and refined carbs, all of which when added together have been shown to cause people to have a much higher risk of heart disease and diabetes.

So yes, the main reason I choose to do a plant based diet is to become healthier. I'm not saying it's the only way to eat but it is an extremely healthy way to eat and a great option for people choosing to become healthier.

Flexible diets, when done correctly include lots of whole foods, and proper supplements. It is extremely low in cholesterol, saturated fats, added sugars and refined carbs, all of which when added together have been shown to cause people to have a much higher risk of heart disease and diabetes.

So yes, the main reason I choose to do a flexible diet is to become healthier. I'm not saying it's the only way to eat but it is an extremely healthy way to eat and a great option for people choosing to become healthier.

See, still works.