Um, how do you control yourself?!

Options
This is an absurd question I know. But I struggle on a daily basis with some gnawing feeling to go eat something bad. I am a bit stressed with family issues so I know that isn't helping and I know the food will not fix my family issues. This is getting to the point of ridiculousness. Help??

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Maybe pre-log your meals for the day, and make a small treat fit? Save the treat for the end of your day. Then you can tell yourself all day, "I get my ice cream tonight. I can wait for it, savor it, and destress with it."

I used to tell myself I could have whatever I was craving in XX minutes. During those XX minutes, I would try to go for a walk or do something physical. Many times I didn't want the craved food after I did something healthy for my body. I don't crave like that anymore. Not sure what changed, maybe just the on-going positive change in my eating habits broke the craving cycle.
  • TerranandKaylynsmommy
    Options
    If I'm craving something sweet... Fruit is my go to. If I want chips or something of the like veggies and hummus. If I'm feeling a bit naughty and the calories allow I eat tortilla chips and guacamole. It sucks but cravings pass. If it gets really bad take a 20 minute walk or jog, usually the craving will have subsided by then if not just consentrate on moderation. Good luck and hang in there.
  • srice10312
    srice10312 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had so much stress lately with my family as well to the point of extreme anxiety and even depression! Therefore I crave sweets and also savory foods all of the time! I have a really bad sweet tooth and cravings can be ridiculous especially being under a lot of stress! The only thing I can tell you is...just do it! Push yourself to get moving, throw in a dvd or go outside. Don't think about it because the longer you wait the more of a chance that non motivational self will creep up and before you know it the day is gone without you getting some kind of workout in! I have pcos so I'm like extra tired throughout the day lol but I'm really trying hard to turn this all around and lose the 30lbs I've gained during the past few years! We can do this, there's going to be bad times but we can't give up. Try to get your workout in not long after you wake up, once you're done you will feel so much better and accomplished and therefore you will have less cravings and would want to choose a healthier option anyhow
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What is "bad?" I have "treats" pretty much every day...in the context of my diet as a whole, it's irrelevant. Look at your diet as a whole rather than isolating individual food items.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Practice. It gets easier the more often you do it. Pre-planning something that you can eat every day just because it tastes good and you like it works too. (I don't like calling them "treats," because in my house the cat and the dog get "treats." The humans just eat food).

It does sound like you're under a lot of stress and are using food to help deal with that stress. Just trying to take away your one stress-reliever isn't a good idea...everyone needs stress-relievers. Could you start putting together a list of non-food things you can do to calm yourself down or make yourself feel better? (Maybe things like taking a bath, going for a walk, doing your nails, etc.). The goal is to have other coping mechanisms to reach for instead of automatically reaching for food.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Logging is my number one strategy for controlling my intake. I make breakfast and pack my lunch/snacks at the same time, so I log all of my B & L food before I leave the house in the morning. My lunch/snacks often include a few crackers or popcorn or a something that I don't feel guilty about.

If I eat anything else-- a donut, some chips, a luna bar--whatever-- I log it BEFORE I eat it. I still allow myself to have these things on occasion, but I have learned that the discipline of logging it BEFORE I shove it in my face where I can look at what it does to my calorie count and nutrition for the day and then make an informed decision on whether or not it's worth it is much better for me than shoving my face, and then guiltily logging it afterwards and then feeling like a failure.

Do I sometimes exceed my sugar and fat goals? Yes, I do, Do I sometimes have 3000 calorie days that are mostly tortilla chips and beer? Yes, I do. But not nearly as many as before I started logging ruthlessly and honestly.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Logging is my number one strategy for controlling my intake. I make breakfast and pack my lunch/snacks at the same time, so I log all of my B & L food before I leave the house in the morning. My lunch/snacks often include a few crackers or popcorn or a something that I don't feel guilty about.

If I eat anything else-- a donut, some chips, a luna bar--whatever-- I log it BEFORE I eat it. I still allow myself to have these things on occasion, but I have learned that the discipline of logging it BEFORE I shove it in my face where I can look at what it does to my calorie count and nutrition for the day and then make an informed decision on whether or not it's worth it is much better for me than shoving my face, and then guiltily logging it afterwards and then feeling like a failure.

Do I sometimes exceed my sugar and fat goals? Yes, I do, Do I sometimes have 3000 calorie days that are mostly tortilla chips and beer? Yes, I do. But not nearly as many as before I started logging ruthlessly and honestly.

I had a 3,000 calorie day over 2 weeks ago. It definitely happens. Hadn't had one since, but I'm sure I will again. It happens. But I was able to eat normal again starting the next day. Sometimes, I am nervous that this is the time that I won't be able to eat normal the next day, but I can and it's fine.
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It happens that I go over but I just am more careful about eating. I usually budget a little during the day so I can have a treat after supper if I need it. Light String Cheese usually helps me get over a hunger hump during the day. It's tough but you'll get there!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Definitely pre plan pack and log food before u eat it. I make breakfast lunch n snacks during worj day logged before I go. Dinner I know what I'm having so that's logged as an estimate til I get home n make it. I always make room for what I feel like, chocolate, glass of wine , whatever. If it fits.... Once felt like pack of chips.. scanned it almost had a stroke from the calories. Quickly put it down and moved on! P's don't use steel as an excuse not to have control on what goes in your mouth!!!! Victim mentality!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    1. Have healthy snacks on hand ALL THE TIME so that you can munch on SOMETHING when you just want to chew. I like celery, broccoli, and carrots. Some people love bell peppers (I can't stand 'em!) so those are another good flavorful possibility.

2. Have other ways to relieve stress. Go for a long walk in a relaxing area. Take a bubble bath. Make a pot of tea. Dance to really loud, cheesy new-wave 80s music. Snuggle with kittens and puppies. Read a smutty romance novel. Color - and don't forget to smell the crayons. Go outside and blow bubbles and watch them float away.
  • OcalaFL
    OcalaFL Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I started with portioned meal like healthy choice steamers and 100 calories snack.

Till I got a handle on measuring and portioning and prep food in advance.

Now I eat 3 meals that leave with wiggle room for bars or shake treats that way inbetween meal I can choose a few snack options or save them up and add 4 th meal
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The more you do it, the better you get at it. It's literally your brain re-wiring your reward circuits so they don't expect highly palatable food in certain circumstances. That doesn't necessarily help though :) Distraction helps - music, walking, talking to a friend or family member, doing your nails, exercise... Managing stress relief and sleep helps - meditation, exercise, just getting enough sleep generally... Not having food in the house or not storing it in easy to get to spots helps. Small treats may (or may not) help depending on you. Eating enough predominantly healthy whole foods will help too
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Oh dang so answering with "Drugs" wouldn't be advisable...
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    You need to divert your attention to a new hobby. The underlying reason for your food problem is depression perhaps.

1. Get a new dog
    2. Read new books
    3. A new hobby like knitting
    4. Gardening
    5. Volunteering at a shelter or other charitable acts

Exercise and portion control is only secondary. Mind has to be fixed first.

Is it possible for you to just buy a nice sweater at a store, instead of trying to manipulate 1 of us; into knitting 1 for you >:) or how about you learn to knit & make 1 yourself? :D
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I did two things. I went to see a nutritionist monthly to create an eating plan, and I went to my doctor to get one month of a low dose of phentermine. It gave me the self control I needed while I adjusted to my new lifestyle. After a month, I had my new habits established and I stopped the medication. If you are under great stress, is there any way you can see a therapist?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    You need to divert your attention to a new hobby. The underlying reason for your food problem is depression perhaps.

1. Get a new dog
    2. Read new books
    3. A new hobby like knitting
    4. Gardening
    5. Volunteering at a shelter or other charitable acts

Exercise and portion control is only secondary. Mind has to be fixed first.

Is it possible for you to just buy a nice sweater at a store, instead of trying to manipulate 1 of us; into knitting 1 for you >:) or how about you learn to knit & make 1 yourself? :D
    Damn it, Friday, you know me too well.

However my message was sincere. She needs a hobby or passion to grip her mind.

< Takes a bow!

I know, since you provided 4 other options & I agree with the hobby suggestion, even if that means; knitting you a sweater & then a bow tie, etc.!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Imagine training an energetic puppy to the leash. A harmonious method is to take that puppy off on a good run first to burn off that excess energy and then train to heel, correcting only occasionally. You do not want to be hauling away on that leash all the time. You exhaust yourself and frustrate the dog.

Or watch an episode of Canada's Worst Driver and see how a driver can focus so obsessively on the obstacles they practically plan to hit them all. These drivers need to be retrained to focus on the destination, not the distractions.

So to tie this back in to discipline in the face of temptation, first of all make sure you are taking care of your stress first. A happy puppy does not need to stuff her face full of chocolate.

Next, plan your treats instead of denying yourself constantly. This satisfies your inner hedonist that your life is not going to be an endless series of denials.

And finally, make sure you have lots of good things to focus on other than food. It does you no good to stare at the treat drawer reminding yourself of all the things you are giving up.