I guess I just need a little reassurance that Im not alone...

Options
Im really good when I have a routine and when I plan my meals and workouts. Its when Im out of my routine that things get tricky for me. Even though I was on vacation and away from my typical routine for 2 weeks, I still mamaged to lose 6 pounds which Im so proud of. I am so motivated to get to my goal weight and I am so close. But today, for reasons Im unaware of, its like I cant keep food out of my mouth. Im not even hungry. Ive been drinking plenty of water to help make ot subside and my time of month is not coming. Having days like this is normal right? Normally I have absolutely no problem staying within calories and being disciplined. Honestly Im much more interested in reaching in my goals than indulging in food. But today...its like my self control is out the window.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    If I have too many days in a row of a calorie deficit, I find that I need a day at maintenance. I'm really close to goal weight, and some days I just have to eat - but also, I can get triggered to eat too much depending on what I eat. For instance if I start the day with cereal and fruit - it's going to be nearly impossible for me to stay in calorie goal. I have to make sure I get a good balance of carbs/fats/protein in every feeding. Otherwise I tend to eat too much, mostly more carbs.
  • bcclenney
    bcclenney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had those days. My wife has had those days. I think, probably, everyone has those days. The big thing is to not let it defeat you. Just get back to it tomorrow.
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    6 pounds in two weeks is a fair amount. I recently had a similiar drop in a two week period. The following week I was crazy hungry and really struggled to keep within my goal calories, even though it had been relatively easy the previous two weeks.

I figure that it was my body reacting to the extreme calorie deficit of the previous weeks... Ya know, trying to tell me that maybe I should eat more. I was also getting cold really easily, a sure sign that I wasn't getting enough energy. So now I make sure to eat my goal calories, and not any less.

Are you exercising a lot? If so, maybe bump up your target calories a little, or make sure to eat back your exercise calories.

Alternatively, you could try messing with your macros a little. More complex carbs and protein, less simple sugars will make you feel fuller.
  • heyaliwood458
    heyaliwood458 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    emmykayyy wrote: »
    6 pounds in two weeks is a fair amount. I recently had a similiar drop in a two week period. The following week I was crazy hungry and really struggled to keep within my goal calories, even though it had been relatively easy the previous two weeks.

I figure that it was my body reacting to the extreme calorie deficit of the previous weeks... Ya know, trying to tell me that maybe I should eat more. I was also getting cold really easily, a sure sign that I wasn't getting enough energy. So now I make sure to eat my goal calories, and not any less.

Are you exercising a lot? If so, maybe bump up your target calories a little, or make sure to eat back your exercise calories.

Alternatively, you could try messing with your macros a little. More complex carbs and protein, less simple sugars will make you feel fuller.

You know what youre right, I had been walking a lot while in Florida so I probably should have ate a little more.
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Hormones? Once a month, usually around the time of ovulation, I find I want to eat everything. I started to track it and try as much as possible to have loads of healthier options at hand so I don't mindlessly eat handfuls of chocolate chunks, for example. Lol. I find that now that I'm aware this happens, I can preplan to fit this into my week appropriately so I don't take too big of a hit.
  • heyaliwood458
    heyaliwood458 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My hormones had been out of whack for months...I was on my period for a solid 6 months (had lots of doctor visits and exams and tests and finally got it figured out- this is not a new problem for me) so Ive been off my period for almost 2 weeks now.
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It can happen. Just try stay under your calorie goal or at least under your maintaining calorie cap (forgot the proper acronym for some reason lol). You can calculate that on IIFYM.com
  • Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. So last week I spent some time prepping boiled eggs, carrot sticks etc in a container in the fridge. So if I'm feeling like munching I can make healthy choices.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Happens to me sometimes. When it does, I always go above maintenance. But back to eating normal the next day. When the urge is uncontrollable, it's hard to pre plan for it. Had one of those days 3 weeks ago today. Went back to eating normal the next day after having over 3,000 calories. I've actually lost a little since then.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    This is the story of my life. The desire to shove things in my face has not gone away just because I have lost weight. I do think that it's improved somewhat, though. I will never look at food solely as fuel (not sure that most people really can do that), but it's a little better. Some days are easy. Other days are average. Some days I find myself wondering just what the heck is going on because I want to eat the whole world.

Sometimes there's a reason, and sometimes there isn't. If there's a good reason to eat more (like I look back and realize that I have been leaving a lot of exercise calories on the table), then it's all good. If there's not a good reason, I try not to stray, but it does happen.

I just log and carry on when I go over, and I look at my calories as a weekly average when that happens. I went over my daily deficit by 1,200 calories a few days ago. 500 of that was my deficit; the rest was obviously over maintenance. I "paid" for the amount over maintenance by eating a little less and burning more on the next couple of days. I didn't stress about the 500 deficit calories. Not worth it.
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've deffinitly had those days. Totally normal. Sometimes I'll eat something that just sort of triggers me and I can't stop eating till I'm completly satisfied. It doesn't happen very often but it happens. It hasn't really effected my weightloss though but I'm assuming becuase since it's not a regular thing the calories all even out over time. Also I'm usually a lot less hungry the next day so eat less