Why Don't Petite Women Do Cardio?

Options

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    5'1 here, and I do cardio and strength training. Sometimes at the same time. I do pole, which is strength combined with elements of cardio. And aerial arts which is a lot of strength, but the warm-ups include cardio. I will throw in cardio dvds here and there. It all comes down to a person's goals. I will do cardio dvds when I need to bank calories.

This weekend, I need to bank calories b/c I'm going on a road trip and road trip eating is not all that great. But generally, I'll pick doing a pole class or aerial class over jogging or walking on a treadmill b/c it's getting me to my goals of being able to complete a certain move or routine.

I wish I could get into weight lifting, but I know it would give me the stomach I want sooner. But I'd much rather be on the trapeze bar or spinning around the pole than lifting free weights. To me it's fun. And enjoying your workout is the surest way that you'll stick with it.

Weight lifting will make a HUGE difference in your ability to do pole/aerial. I had to quit aerial because my upper body wasn't strong enough and I kept hurting my rotator cuff. After lifting for 6 months, I went back and I could knock the *kitten* out of moves I couldn't even come close to doing before. You can get there doing aerial alone, but it will take a lot longer.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    5'1 here, and I do cardio and strength training. Sometimes at the same time. I do pole, which is strength combined with elements of cardio. And aerial arts which is a lot of strength, but the warm-ups include cardio. I will throw in cardio dvds here and there. It all comes down to a person's goals. I will do cardio dvds when I need to bank calories.

This weekend, I need to bank calories b/c I'm going on a road trip and road trip eating is not all that great. But generally, I'll pick doing a pole class or aerial class over jogging or walking on a treadmill b/c it's getting me to my goals of being able to complete a certain move or routine.

I wish I could get into weight lifting, but I know it would give me the stomach I want sooner. But I'd much rather be on the trapeze bar or spinning around the pole than lifting free weights. To me it's fun. And enjoying your workout is the surest way that you'll stick with it.

Weight lifting will make a HUGE difference in your ability to do pole/aerial. I had to quit aerial because my upper body wasn't strong enough and I kept hurting my rotator cuff. After lifting for 6 months, I went back and I could knock the *kitten* out of moves I couldn't even come close to doing before. You can get there doing aerial alone, but it will take a lot longer.

I know that it will help tremendously, but I can't afford to do all three. Aerial and pole are not cheap, and pole is my #1, aerial is my #2, meaning I will always make sure I have the money to do pole, and then aerial. If for some reason I can only afford to do one each month, pole wins out every time.

Besides you can do strength training exercises on the bar, pole, and silks. You can do all types of strength moves three on the apparatuses that are meant to prepare you for the poses. I personally, don't have any issues with the strength portion of it, for me whenever I have an issues it's almost always a mental block. My brain saying "you want me to do what?" lol.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying. I definitely have a better insight into the benefits of strength training over cardio. A lot of women find cardio doesn't help them lose weight while others do. Just a debatable topic to look into. I was in no way trying to offend anyone, as it seems like some were upset over the topic.

I know many large people who only do strength training because cardio is to brutal for them. I wasn't trying to ignore taller people, I was more focused on petite women because of my own views and issues.

I will continue doing cardio because I have noticed it makes me feel better.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That's a wide sweeping statement. Do cardio if you wish. I recommend it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

I know that it will help tremendously, but I can't afford to do all three. Aerial and pole are not cheap, and pole is my #1, aerial is my #2, meaning I will always make sure I have the money to do pole, and then aerial. If for some reason I can only afford to do one each month, pole wins out every time.

Besides you can do strength training exercises on the bar, pole, and silks. You can do all types of strength moves three on the apparatuses that are meant to prepare you for the poses. I personally, don't have any issues with the strength portion of it, for me whenever I have an issues it's almost always a mental block. My brain saying "you want me to do what?" lol.

absolutely

plus doing strength with apparatus helps with body awareness. i would rather do aerial conditioning over weights any and all day.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying. I definitely have a better insight into the benefits of strength training over cardio. A lot of women find cardio doesn't help them lose weight while others do. Just a debatable topic to look into. I was in no way trying to offend anyone, as it seems like some were upset over the topic.

I know many large people who only do strength training because cardio is to brutal for them. I wasn't trying to ignore taller people, I was more focused on petite women because of my own views and issues.

Weight loss comes from how many calories you consume. If cardio makes you hungrier and you mindlessly eat then it will hinder, if you keep track it won't.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

absolutely

plus doing strength with apparatus helps with body awareness. i would rather do aerial conditioning over weights any and all day.

I agree. Doing aerial conditioning is what helped me hone in on my lats and remind me to pull my shoulders into their sockets.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this before. I totally do cardio at five three. I also lift. I like a well rounded program and I need to keep my heart healthy.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I soooo want to say it's because they can't reach the pedals.

(Short person here, and that's actually sometimes true. :D )
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm petite and I don't do much cardio except walking and the occasional video workout. Mostly because I don't enjoy it. I love weight training and do that 4x/week. I count calories to lose weight. Before I cut my calories I was just maintaining, though getting stronger. Once I lost some fat I had some pretty kick-azz muscle tone.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that the right workout is the one you will actually consistently do...but I don't believe you are actually "fit" if you leave anything out.
    I started weight lifting this past April, after a lot of dragging my feet about it. Do I love it? No. But I like it. And I know it was the missing piece of my fitness puzzle.
    I LOVE running and HIIT body weight training and try to fit in yoga for 10 minutes in front of the tv each night.
    I think of my 6 workouts a week as apocalypse training. You want to be strong to fight off the aliens, but also want to be able to outrun them. LOL!!
    Also, cardio is extremely good for stress relief
    And is recommended by mental health professionals consistently.
    Sleep professionals recommend it too.

People that say they hate cardio are probably spending too much time at the gym on the machines.

A bike ride, dancing, basketball, softball, touch football, talking a walk, hiking,swimming, chasing the kids around the park is all cardio. You really HATE all those?
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I have never heard of this before. I totally do cardio at five three. I also lift. I like a well rounded program and I need to keep my heart healthy.

Well rounded. Well said.
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    I think there's an overall shift in mentality from cardio to lifting for many, demographics aside. Lifting is a way for many to exercise and not feel like they are dying.

Haha tell that to my trainer... I honestly think a good hard jog is less mentally scarring then trying (and failing) to do that 100th pressup. And don't don't even get me started on sit-ups.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Don't re-think cardio, rethink whomever told you this...I LOVE cardio, and have lost 80 lbs doing it 4-5 times a week..and I'm only 5'2. Strength training is fabulous for sculpting your bod, but cardio has it's place in fitness/wellness as well :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The short women you talk to must not like cardio. I'm short, and I love cardio. Having a low TDEE, I like burning a few more calories, and getting to have another piece of cheese.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, well my gym is full of petite women who focus on Zumba. And man do Zumba people get offended if someone is in their "spot" in the studios.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Zumba is fun! Lol- Funny about the territorial feisty ladies.

Do you see good results with cycling? I've heard rumors that cycling is good for getting smaller. I tend to bulk up and want to avoid that. I'd rather get elongation and the Pilates type feminine body. I take after my dad, I'm afraid to say.

you can't change genetics sadly... calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Right. I have to stick with "sturdy" and make the best of getting as small as I reasonably can.

Sturdy and fit is beautiful, and I bet that you'll find you're more willowy that you think.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I don't get this thread. It reminds me of the thread asking why Americans have to put butter sauce on their vegetables.
    Butter sauce.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    I soooo want to say it's because they can't reach the pedals.

(Short person here, and that's actually sometimes true. :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__TU3EHNN2I

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Not a lot of what you are saying makes sense...

Weight loss comes from being in a consistent calorie deficit. Calories In < Calories Out. You can create the deficit through diet (reducing calories in), or exercise (increasing calories out), or both.

Cardio is a method to increase your calories out, improve your cardiovascular health, etc. strength training is a means to preserve lean body mass while in a calorie deficit. They are not mutually exclusive.

Petite people, average stature, and tall people can all do cardio, strength training, or no exercise at all and still lose weight. None of this is a one size fits all approach.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I see petite women working out at my gym, doing all sorts of cardio; also petite women in my power step classes. Never thought height might make a difference...