Help keeping motivated

Options
I am down to 224 from 230 and I really need some help staying motivated. I really want to loose weight, my anxiety and depression are getting worse and I feel worse and worse about myself every day. It's time for a change. Ive also recently quit smoking 4 months ago and gained alot from that.

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    You're good. You've lost 6 lbs. How long have you been doing this, and what is the goal weight you're aiming for?
  • havok1113
    havok1113 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My first day seriously using this app. But I've been on a diet/work out for about 3 weeks. My goal weight is 140.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Whatever you are doing seems to be working. Two pounds a week is really really good.

There's a lot of good info on here, I suggest reading on what others are doing that in a similar place in life as you. There's a few,a no a few active people that post a lot.
  • havok1113
    Options
    Thanks! I will. I think I just need to keep motivated as I've been eating more junk lately.
  • omgwaycute
    omgwaycute Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Watch youtube videos that are inspiring! You'll start to crave the lifestyle. I watch FULLYRAWKristina and
    RAWALIGNMENT. When I'm feeling a bit down, these always give me more energy.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    havok1113 wrote: »
    My first day seriously using this app. But I've been on a diet/work out for about 3 weeks. My goal weight is 140.

Very good! That's 2 lbs per week. I've been doing approximately 1 lb per week and have lost 8 lbs. There will be weeks when you don't lose any, but we're here to keep each other encouraged.
  • havok1113
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    havok1113 wrote: »

Very good! That's 2 lbs per week. I've been doing approximately 1 lb per week and have lost 8 lbs. There will be weeks when you don't lose any, but we're here to keep each other encouraged.

Thanks! This is the first time I've been on a forum or anything and I'm hopeful!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Stick with it, remember why you started this journey, and try not to expect too much too fast... and yes, there will be weeks when you won't lose anything or may even go up a pound or two. It's all normal, so try not to worry about it.

I resigned myself to taking at least a year to get my weight off, and have to remember that it crept up over many years so if it takes one or two to get it off again that's not really too bad! I started in mid-January at 217 and I'm currently 181, so that's an average of just over 1lb per week. I'm happy with that! (I'm aiming for 150 at first, and will assess how I look and feel when I get there.)

In that time I've taken three breaks where I've eaten at maintenance calorie levels; I've had days where I've eaten more than I should have (accidentally or deliberately!); I've had many, many days when I've done no exercise whatsoever; I've eaten chocolate, bacon, ice cream, pizza, burgers, etc. as well as more veggies and smaller portions; and, most importantly, I've rarely felt hungry and never miserable or deprived. I'm so happy that I learned from this site that I can still eat the foods I like and lose weight, so long as I don't eat as much of them as I'd like! ;)

You've made a great start - try not to focus too much on your actual weight, if it makes you anxious, and think instead about how you feel, how your clothes fit, whether you can walk further without getting winded, etc. Take progress photos, and measure yourself regularly - it really helps to have other ways of gauging progress when the scale doesn't move for a while! Set small goals, don't think of it as one big goal of losing 90lbs because that can be overwhelming. You don't have to change everything at once; take it slow and steady and make changes you can stick with for life.

There will be days when you don't make good choices - log them anyway, accept them, and carry on. Don't let yourself spiral into a week or a month of overeating - we're all human and we all make mistakes. It's all good. You can do it, if you really want to. :)
  • activeadriana
    activeadriana Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I relax and do something I enjoy to keep myself on track. I find adding reading, drawing with some music on (art therapy) or dancing, making crafts or whatever I like into my day helps refocus me as to why I am chasing the goals I am chasing. Our days can get so busy and the pressure to do it all can build fast and it's easier to make unhealthy choices when we're pressured, so having some downtime is a nice way to think about all we've achieved and what we want to do next. You've lost weight, way to go! Keep doing what it is you've been doing but I think adding a few enjoyable activities to your day would be good. (I hope this makes sense.) The cravings get easier to handle as time goes by btw and eventually they'll pretty much disappear.
  • jrbowman22
    jrbowman22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I was obsessed with the scale. It wasn't changing very fast but I noticed was losing inches. I focused more on that by trying a pair of my "skinny" jeans on once a week. Every week they fit a little better until they were eventually too big. That motivated me more than the scale. Hang in there! You are already doing great.
  • jvera290
    jvera290 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Search up motivation videos on YouTube while you run on the treadmill. Pumps you up more.
  • krlopez2010
    krlopez2010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. I am not going to beat around the Bush and tell you to keep trying. I can already tell you it is definitely possible. Just be consistent and push yourself harder when you feel your body has gotten used to your workout . Changing your routine weekly makes it a lot easier. I learned from my weighloss at the time that bigger girls like ourselves lose more weight than others. Ofcourse it is tough but at the end of your session you feel great and your end results will make you feel like a completely different person. Stay positive you have already started that shows you have the motivation. It's time to test your limit.