Newbie Question

Options
I am supposed to be doing 1200 calories a day. So, at the end of my day, after the food and exercise, I still have anywhere from 200-450 calories left. Is that good, bad, or what?:ohwell:

This is only day three for me and I've never exercised before, but I am determined to keep going. Should I have those extra calories even though I'm not hungry or be happy that I have those left? :explode:

Also, dieting is new for me too and I have a LOT to lose to be content. I would think that the less calories I eat, and the more exercise I do, the more weight I lose.

Can anyone HELP me? :blushing:

Replies

• MrsBlaze
    Options
    I am supposed to be doing 1200 calories a day. So, at the end of my day, after the food and exercise, I still have anywhere from 200-450 calories left. Is that good, bad, or what?:ohwell:

This is only day three for me and I've never exercised before, but I am determined to keep going. Should I have those extra calories even though I'm not hungry or be happy that I have those left? :explode:

Also, dieting is new for me too and I have a LOT to lose to be content. I would think that the less calories I eat, and the more exercise I do, the more weight I lose.

Can anyone HELP me? :blushing:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    The 1200 cals/day is given as a "without extra exercise calories burned" reference. If you eat 1200 cals/day, you will lose x pounds/week. If you exercise & burn, for example, 300 cals, you can eat 1500 cals/day & still lose x pounds/week. Does that make sense?
  • onmyway2beingme
    Options
    You really need to get in at least the 1200, otherwise your body will begin to go into starvation mode, and hold on to any fuel it has (i.e. fat cells). Try eating an extra piece of fruit or two. You'll be getting in the calories, and great nutrients as well!

60994.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to post a link to a thread in here but at the top of this topic board there are 3 threads that are locked and one of them says Newbies Please read. There are several links in there to threads that have alot of good information on them. You should read them and they might answer your questions.
  • MrsBlaze
    Options
    Not really, sorry. But I just read a message by viviakay and she said to eat the exercise calories. I'm confused. I think I need the extra calories to keep the motor running......is that right? I don't want to start out wrong and lose the mmotivation.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    1200 is the lowest recomended amount, so do try to eat all the 1200. I always try to eat about 1/2 my exercise calories...(I don't have a heart rate monitor or anything and i'm not sure how accurate the cals burned is and i sure dont wanna eat too much!). If you eat too little you will lose weight in the beginning...then it will STOP!!! your body will think itis starving, and it will save all the fat it can! So, if you cant bring yourself to eat all your exercise cals AT LEAST eat all your daily cals!!!

Good luck!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Eat them and read the newbie thread. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsBlaze
    Options
    You really need to get in at least the 1200, otherwise your body will begin to go into starvation mode, and hold on to any fuel it has (i.e. fat cells). Try eating an extra piece of fruit or two. You'll be getting in the calories, and great nutrients as well!

60994.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thank you!! Sorry about the newbie question!! :blushing:
  • MrsBlaze
    Options

Sorry :blushing:
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Sorry :blushing:

Don't be sorry! You're just asking a question & the "exercise calorie" thing can be a little difficult to figure out. It is okay!
  • MrsBlaze
    Options
    Thank you 3BB!! I felt a little scared there for a minute!! :cry: I was reading up on all the things you guys said and I didn't know that my body would go in starvation mode!! That is some really good info to have!! I just upped my calories for the day and will see how that works!! (I log my food in the mornings to stay on track)

Thank you again. The support feels nice!! :flowerforyou:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Thank you 3BB!! I felt a little scared there for a minute!! :cry: I was reading up on all the things you guys said and I didn't know that my body would go in starvation mode!! That is some really good info to have!! I just upped my calories for the day and will see how that works!! (I log my food in the mornings to stay on track)

Thank you again. The support feels nice!! :flowerforyou:

Yes the we got it from the cavemen times :laugh: Way back when food was scarce, our bodies trained themselves to store fat to live on in times when there wasn't anything to eat, so I blame the cavemen on my slow metabolism :glasses: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • MrsBlaze
    Options
    Dang those Cavemen!! :laugh: They are the reason!!! Thanks!! It was getting old blaming the weight gain on my husband!! :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I blame my kids. :bigsmile: It had nothing to do with the ice cream I swam in while I was pregnant. :wink:
  • MrsBlaze
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That was HILARIOUS!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: