Recomended Amount of Calories

Options
I'm having problems eating as many calories as it tells me to. Is that okay or should I make myself eat more???

Replies

• santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Depends. I find myself struggling at some days and have about 200-300 left sometimes. Since I started doing heavy exercise, I noticed I couldn't eat as much as I used to. However, I do try to hit the mark where calories are concerned. Only when I feel sick I won't.

How many calories should you be eating and what are you actually eating?
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your calorie goal is. You just want to be sure to eat enough calories in the day so you are giving your body the fuel it needs. Under-eating leads to long-term problems in maintaining fat loss. You should for sure be eating more than 1200 cal/day.
  • bnix35
    bnix35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1743. I eat between 700-1000 calories a day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you're logging everything as accurately as possible (weighing all foods, using correct entries, etc.). It's very likely you're eating more than you think.

Second, eat more! Eating that little is putting you at risk for malnutrition, which can lead to a host of problems (muscle loss, brittle hair and nails, fatigue, organ weakness, hormone imbalance, skipped or stopped cycles if you're an of-age female). Add in some calorie dense foods (nuts, nut butters, oils, full fat dairy, even "junk" food if you need to) to hit your calorie goal.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bnix35 wrote: »

You need to eat more, but 1743 sounds like too much. Please aim for somewhere between 1200-1400
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You need to eat more, but 1743 sounds like too much. Please aim for somewhere between 1200-1400

We don't know how much OP weighs or how active she is. Why does 1,743 sounds like too much?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

700-1000 a day is way too little. 1200 is the minimum to get sufficient nutrition for an average female, so unless you are under 5' you need to eat more.

The bigger question is how carefully are you logging. It is very easy to eat more calories than you think and are logging by a number of actions that make your data entered inaccurate. For example, are you sure the foods you are eating are truly a match for the database entry you are using? Are all the database entries you are using correct? It pays to double check. Are you measuring solids using a volume measure, that is say cheese or peanut butter using a cup/milliliter or tablespoon measure. Those are meant only for liquids and will not give an accurate measure for solids, even solids that are grated or ground. For solids a digital kitchen scale is far more accurate. If you don't have one, just make sure you are not forcing your food into the volume measure and level it off at the top.

You could be eating more calories than you think, but even then 700-1000 is so far below your calorie goal that even then you might need to eat more.

By the way, even if you feel fine right now, if you are really eating that little, malnutrition issues will show up in time. They don't show up right away, but are a cumulative thing that causes damage far before you will notice it.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    700-1000 is pretty low and 1700 shouldn't be that hard to hit. Are you sure you are measuring right? Do you weigh everything? What are you eating? I can't see your diary so it's hard to tell what is going on.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

I agree with what the others have said- your calories are too low. Make sure you get in enough fruit, veggies and protein. Try eating nuts, peanut butter, cheese etc as they are calorie dense.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Why? I know many women (myself included) who lose on that and more.