Week four: zero weight loss. Thoughts?

Options
Hi All,

I think I've raised this question in the past, but I'll raise it again. I'm officially three days into week four of my diet. I haven't lost weight. Much at all if any really.

I'm averaging 1800 a week, exercising four - six times a week. I'm wondering why the weight isn't coming off quicker, or at all really.

Someone mentioned possible dehydration or water retention due to workouts, so I've actively tried to start drinking more water over the last week.

Anyways, I've opened my journal, so take a look and let me know your thoughts.

I'm wondering if it's not only calories, but the quality of calories I'm eating.

Cheers,
S.

Replies

• santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Could be down to several things really. What have you lost over the three previous weeks. At one point, the body cannot give more after considerable weight loss, usually only for a week. Others call it a plateau. No matter what you call it, I'd track religiously this week and if you do not lose again, maybe have a look at what you have been eating. Sugars, high sodium foods etc could all hinder your weight loss potential.
  • jrbowman22
    jrbowman22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just wondering...have you measured yourself? When I started I wasn't losing much weight but I was losing inches. I started focusing more on that than the scale.
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    jrbowman22 wrote: »
    Just wondering...have you measured yourself? When I started I wasn't losing much weight but I was losing inches. I started focusing more on that than the scale.

Good point. It is true though, I've had the same thing. My scale barely budged with 3 pounds and a lot to lose, but the amount of inches I lost was quite amazing. Muscle build can cause you not to lose anything at one point.
  • strob89
    strob89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jrbowman22 wrote: »

I have. No changes unfortunately. :/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're not eating at a defecit due to the points in the post above

Start weighing your food on a digital scale and double checking food entries against decent databases like USDA or packs

Do it for the next 2 weeks and see the difference between thinking you're eating 1800 calories and actually eating 1800 calories
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The points made by @Sued0nim above are spot on. Also, you say you haven't lost weight then say "much, if any really". So you have lost weight but you're not happy with the amount??
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Well, going by your diary entries taken from the last month, you averaged a daily intake of 1875 calories a day, not 1800 cals. So, try to tighten up on that.

What is your weight loss goal each week - half a pound or a pound?

While others may be right in that tightening up your logging/weighing of food may help, I think just trying to increase your deficit by another 200 calories for the next fortnight and seeing if that helps would be the next step. Simply put, if you are not losing at the rate you wish to lose, then you know what you need to do.

Your ticker indicates you want to lose 22 pounds. Is that correct?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    some good points made by posters above.

I'd add that you seem to be eating all your exercise calories (and more on some days). My experience is that this leads to lower than expected deficit and small to zero weight loss.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    well, first of all.... how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I wouldn't be losing anything if i was eating that much either. You may just be eating too much (regardless of the accuracy).

My advice, lower the calories you're eating to 1,400. Come back in a week and you should already be on the downward trend.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    From the look of the entries as it has already been said is not accurate. The 1/2 tbls, .33cups, 1/3 cup (cheese), cookies, and even the bread (I found out my bread has 5-6 more grams weighed than the serving size on the label) all should be weighed to get to your 1800 calories.

Careful on the eating back exercise and get the logging down to an art, and you will start to see a trend down in weight in a few weeks.

Now if you want to lower to 1400 using your method of logging that is fine as well as this might even out to 1800. Your choice of how or method of choice you want to log with using a food scale, measuring cups and spoons. :):)
  • strob89
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    well, first of all.... how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I wouldn't be losing anything if i was eating that much either. You may just be eating too much (regardless of the accuracy).

My advice, lower the calories you're eating to 1,400. Come back in a week and you should already be on the downward trend.

Good idea! I'll try it. :)

I'm 5'5", 156.4 as of this morning.

• Robincantrell21
    Robincantrell21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, can some give me some advice on how to lose 45 pounds?
  • Robincantrell21
    Robincantrell21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my diet consist of: breakfast: 1 cup of strawberries and cottage cheese, and roasted salted pistachios.
    morning snack: salad, with Italian dressing, 2% shredded cheese, and bacon pieces.
    lunch: turkey burger with lettuce, mustard and 2 pickle slices.
    afternoon snack: apple
    dinner: 8 oz chicken breast with brown rice dipped in chicken broth.
    I have 90 oz of water each day. I burn 1200 calories 4 days/week on an treadmill incline and my calories usually consist of 1400-1500 daily. I am currently 170 pounds at 5'5 and would like to get to 129 pounds. Any tips on how to speed the process up or see results quicker?
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been 16 days without the scale moving. Then bam i lose 5 pounds. I'm on day 9 now without a scale budge, but it will come. Just keep at it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    my diet consist of: breakfast: 1 cup of strawberries and cottage cheese, and roasted salted pistachios.
    morning snack: salad, with Italian dressing, 2% shredded cheese, and bacon pieces.
    I have 90 oz of water each day. I burn 1200 calories 4 days/week on an treadmill incline and my calories usually consist of 1400-1500 daily. I am currently 170 pounds at 5'5 and would like to get to 129 pounds. Any tips on how to speed the process up or see results quicker?

start your own thread for advice. :)
  • strob89
    Options

What's your caloric total for example day above?

I would say look at small changes, no bacon, lite Italian dressing.

But above all - don't rush it. Focus on your mental and emotional health as well. Being thin won't make you a happier, better person. Honestly it won't even make you heathier if you're denying your body your needed calories.

There are some great TDEE calculators online, check one out and go by that. Don't rush the process and be willing to wait. Slow progress is better than crashing and burning.

Hope that helps! :)

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you're big and/or tall, 1800 calories may well be a decent deficit for you.

However if you're eating out a lot, its really hard to maintain a decent deficit. And as someone who bakes cookies that are only 100 calories, I can say that almost no purchased bakery cookies are going to only be 95 calories.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Hello, can some give me some advice on how to lose 45 pounds?

Hello, eat less.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Back to opening poster,

A couple of comments Take the time to fill in your profile-What is you ultimate goal? I suspect you have 20 lbs top to lose. Maybe less

Vegetables exist. Eat some. I see avacado in your diary and that's it for veggies

Your salt level is way too high. Skip the fries when you grab a burger. I still eat fat food burgers occasionally. I take off 1/2 the bun and throw it away.

add some exercise. Srart with walking 30 minutes daily.