Please help with food choices!

Options
I'm really needing to lose weight and need to know what to base a diet around I know whole foods and things but maybe specific examples please?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whatever foods you like that fit into your calorie and macro goals. Focus on whole foods, yes, but don't deprive yourself of a treat every now and then.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Can you cook?
    Can you 'google'? (By google, I mean the ability to search for information online)
    Problem solved.
    I am not being flippant
    If you know how to cook, and know how to search for information online its easy to find recipes that you can make or some that you can tweak to give you the kind of sustainable eating regimen that will make your journey to a healthy weight, enjoyable, easy and fun.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I found the NHS (UK health care) a good source of information when I was starting to investigate the sort of things I should eat for a healthier life style. They have a plan and recipes and so on if you are looking for something to follow. I chose not to, but it's a good resource if you are just starting out.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/weight-loss-guide/Pages/losing-weight-getting-started.aspx
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm really needing to lose weight and need to know what to base a diet around I know whole foods and things but maybe specific examples please?

Calories. Have a calorie deficit to lose weight. You don't have to eat specific foods to lose weight.
    Protein, fats and fiber help many people to feel satisfied so you might want to reach those goals.
    Most vegetables are pretty low calorie, nutritious and provide fiber so are good to fill your plate with.

I eat the same foods I always did just in appropriate portion sizes for my goal. Things I typically eat:
    Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

To lose weight, eat less than you burn. No specific foods needed.

If you "know whole foods and things", you should have a basic grasp on what to eat and how to assemble a menu for yourself. So, what do you mean by "whole foods and things"?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I try to eat a well rounded healthy diet. I base my around whole grains, lots and lots of vegetables, and a healthy source of protein like legumes.

For the week, I make a batch of whole grains, usually quinoa or millet, a batch of lentils, and add that to alot of my meals. I also use frozen vegetables and canned beans alot.

The technical answer is, you can eat anything as long as you burn more calories then you eat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Foods with proteins, fats, carbs & fiber.....very abbreviated list

Protein - meats, dairy, eggs, legumes, beans
    Fats - olive oil, cheese & other full fat dairy, nuts or nut butter, seeds, avocado
    Carbs - whole grains, fruits, veggies

Whole grains, fruits, veggies, legumes, and beans will have fiber.

Get a good percentage of whole foods and leave a little room for a treat here & there.