Newbie Vegetarian Looking for Recipes

Options
vkr2q7
vkr2q7 Posts: 68 Member
Hi all!
My fiance and I are working on transitioning to a completely vegetarian diet and I was wondering if anyone had any favorite meatless recipes they'd like to share!

I'm also curious if anyone has any quick take to work lunch ideas that don't involve a ton of prep.

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I can provide tons of recipes that I cook on a regular basis. I have posted many pictures throughout. While I am not vegetarian, my wife is pescatarian...so we probably have fish twice a week and vegetarian the rest. Since I like to cook Chinese (Sichuan), Thai, Indian, Balinese and Italian, it is extremely easy to have great meals without meat. Give me some ideas on what types of food you want and I can provide more suggestions.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Work lunches. Protein, vegetables, whole grains or starches.

Some things I do are, lentils and soup (make a batch of lentils for the week, then I add a cup of lentils to canned vegetable soup the night before. Quick and easy.
    Other suggestions are beans, peas, or lentils plus roasted vegetables. Again you can prep this ahead of time for the week.

For whole grains I also prep quinoa and/or millet (these are my favorite right now and substitute for rice very well)

Another option is to cook extra big meals at night and take the leftovers to work.

Oh.... and how could I forget the Mason Jar Salads (look up recipes, there are tons)
  • cee134
    Options
    Check out "Cheap Lazy Vegan" for some good ideas on food prep made easy.
  • vkr2q7
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    I can provide tons of recipes that I cook on a regular basis. I have posted many pictures throughout. While I am not vegetarian, my wife is pescatarian...so we probably have fish twice a week and vegetarian the rest. Since I like to cook Chinese (Sichuan), Thai, Indian, Balinese and Italian, it is extremely easy to have great meals without meat. Give me some ideas on what types of food you want and I can provide more suggestions.

I adore Indian and Italian food, but I'm not the world's best cook and I live in a tiny tiny apartment, so anything that is simple and doesn't require a lot of equipment :smile: !
  • baleighbee
    baleighbee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If I am having a good week than my day will start off with a protein powder and fruit smoothie or Quest bar. Then for lunch I would do a nice salad, quinoa with beans and salsa, a high protein tortilla with some beans, avocado, lettuce, etc. Then for snacks I stay with fruits, veggies or a lenny and larry vegan protein cookie. Then for dinner it is typically the same meals as my lunch such as: salads, burrito bowls, burritos, meatless lasagna, chickpea or veggie burger, etc.
    Congratulations on going plant based!! I admit in the beginning it was difficult for me, but now I feel freaking amazing. My heart is happy, my skin looks great, and I have lost some weight. I would recommend buying seeds to add to your protein smoothies, salad dressings, quinoa or rice such as Hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, etc. These seeds are magical little things! :smiley:
  • cee134
    Options
    I add chia seeds to alot of my meals (no more then a Tbs at a time and not more then 3 Tbs a day)
  • beckyvanboxtel
    beckyvanboxtel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my family is also starting the transition. it is hard, because i have low iron often and I love hamburgers...

We eat a lot of the veggie crumblers mixed with vegetables. morningstar has come back with the steak and chicken strips that are awesome for stir fries. we also eat a lot of cheese and cottage cheese. lentils work well for a meat sub.

you really have to get used to the idea that the meat subs are not meat, and do not taste like meat. i've been searching for years for a veggie burger that is even partially good, with no luck. the chicken patties from boca are good, and black bean burgers are good too. but there is no sub for a big fat juicy burger. (remember why you are doing it).

crumblers work well in soups, stews and sauces. if you like Chinese food, try using the sauces with a pan full of your favorite vegetable. i often make a fake beef with broccoli, or just stir fry broccoli, mushrooms, and red peppers with garlic chili sauce.

and for the love of all things holy, go out for Indian! Indian food is by far the best vegetarian food out there. Centuries of vegetarian cooking perfected!!

good luck! it is really hard when you start, but only because eating meat is so easy and convenient. we are struggling because vegetarian is not convenient for us, but it is getting easier every week.

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I ate a vegetarian diet for about 2 years. It didn't work out for me but I am in support of anyone who wants to eat this way. I still make this chili recipe, my hubby and I love it.

Lazy Crock Pot Chili

3 cloves garlic, chopped (or 3-4 tsp of chopped jar garlic)
    2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
    1 15 oz can black beans with liquid
    1 15 oz can red kidney beans
    1 15 oz can pinto or white beans
    2 cans Rotel tomatoes with diced chili peppers
    1 8 oz can tomato puree
    pre-cut onion and pepper, about 1c each

Spices to taste: cumin, chili powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.

Add about 8 oz water, cover and cook on low in crock pot for 4 - 8hrs.
  • vkr2q7
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Your tips and encouragement have helped a ton!!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Have you been on pinterest? Tons of recipes on there.
    I actually made these and really liked both:
    http://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/2014/12/slow-cooker-enchilada-quinoa.html
    http://www.number-2-pencil.com/2013/06/06/one-pan-chicken-alfredo/ (just without the chicken and I threw in canned peas and carrots)