Anyone in to bouldering?

Options
Hey guys I just got really in to bouldering (shorter diatance climbing without ropes)

Anyone else love it who I could ask questions / friend ?

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Been climbing for a long time. Feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am super new at it, but I really love it! I picked up my first pair of climbing shoes this weekend. So, I can't offer any advice, since I am just learning myself, but I wanted to offer support at least. =)
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Been doing it for a little over 6 months now...love it. Absolutely kitten love it. You like bouldering? I like you.

(Am sad that I just moved and there isn't a hall especially near the new house, but will be exploring a bit further afield soon.)
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Do you log calories for bouldering ? All my researching says its impossible to know what you burn really :-/
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I go to my boulder like once a week. I'm still kinda new to it, but it's fun and challenging and I love it!
  • heatherheyns
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Do you log calories for bouldering ? All my researching says its impossible to know what you burn really :-/

I've been trying to figure this out with little luck. I know I am working very hard, because I am still very overweight, but exact amounts are hard to say. This is even more difficult when you add on all the rest and waiting. If I go in the evening when it is busy, I spend more time waiting, so may only actively climb 20 minutes of my hour. If it is morning, I may climb 40 minutes of that same hour.

I'd say to pick one method to figure out calorie count, be spot on with your logging and see if your weight does what it should. If so, the estimate method works. If not, you know to either increase or decrease the calroies.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It's like rock climbing, for people who are afraid of heights! :wink:

That's good natured rubbing. No offense intended.

I've never given it an honest shot because I enjoy the rope work; carrying a crash pad never looked like fun to me. Good protection from the sun while you carry it though!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have two different guesstimates for two different types of sessions:

Difficulty: Making numerous attempts at problems with some substantial waiting, I log it as gymnastics.

Endurance: Climbing 32+ problems within three grades of my onsite level within an hour plus calisthenics, I log it as MFP's rock climbing.
  • heatherheyns
    Options
    It's like rock climbing, for people who are afraid of heights! :wink:

That's good natured rubbing. No offense intended.

I've never given it an honest shot because I enjoy the rope work; carrying a crash pad never looked like fun to me. Good protection from the sun while you carry it though!

Hah. Well, I have no one to go with and I don't like having to make fiends, so bouldering means I can go on my own. Of course, I only use a climbing gym, so there's that.
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread!

I've been climbing for 11 years now, and logging on MFP for the last year. I log my calories as percentage, 25%, of my climbing time; i.e. if I was at the gym for two hours I log 30 minutes of climbing time. I do it this way because otherwise, I feel that my calorie estimates are too high.

Bouldering can be incredibly scary even without the added heights. Outside the landings are not always perfectly flat, and you can be terrified of falling even just four feet. There are a few climbs that come to mind at Hueco tanks, T-bone Shuffle, Shaved Pits. There also the super tall climbs that are scary because of the height.

Feel free to add me as friend, I am always happy to help.
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Starting lessons next month with my son. Looking forward to it
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    rolled my ankle in a class - waaaaa !
  • mallygirl420
    mallygirl420 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love this group! Just climbed Longs Peak in Estes Park a 14er with class 3 areas and had to Boulder - I loved it!!
  • heatherheyns
    Options
    I have a question for those who have been at it a while. How often and how long per session do you climb? I am constantly seeing numbers of 2-4 hours a session and I can't imagine! Not only would my body not last that long, but who can devote 4 hours to this a few times a week?

I am new and manage an hour usually. For now, that is twice a week. I'm hoping to be able to go to 3 times a week next week. I just have no idea if those people are talking about outdoors, where they go every few weeks or something. I also have very little rest time, since I'm only doing vb and v0, so I'd say I climb a good 40 minutes of that.
  • Annaza
    Annaza Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Always nice to see someone else who likes rocks :) I am not very good at bouldering, more of a sport climber. I climb once a week indoors, for 3 or so hours (but that is taking turns climbing/belaying) and get outdoors whenever I can. (2-3 weeks away on Kalymnos in Greece in the summer , plus a few weekends over the course of the year in England where I live). fwiw, I don't log climbing calories because it's not sustained effort.
  • heatherheyns
    Options
    See, maybe that is some of the difference. I do bouldering because I'm on my own, so I dont need anyone to belay, and if I don't rest long, I end up climbing most of my time there. Maybe when I've been at it longer my time will increase, hah. For now, that hour kills me! And I'm so sore the next two days it hurts to move. Of course, losing more weight will help. I'm hauling way too much weight up that wall.