Vegetables?

Options
Tell me your best, most favorite healthy way to eat vegetables! I have always struggled to get a fir amount of vegetables in my diet. I need more options. I usually buy a bag of frozen green beans or broccoli, cook and eat only a few bites. Or I throw peppers and onions and mushrooms either in spaghetti, or fry it up with fake hamburger crumblers.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Zip'N Steam cooking bags are so easy. I use these a lot at work. That way I can cook one or two servings at a times.

Fresh cooked carrots (or parsnips) are yummy. Not the frozen ones though, the texture is just weird. The same with green beans, fresh ones have a much better texture than frozen.

I'll buy a big head of cauliflower & cut off some smallish pieces, rinse. Then cook in a Zip'N Steam bag for a few minutes. Yum.

Non-lettuce salad. Match stick carrots, sliced celery, and (thawed) frozen green peas. Toss with Newman's Light Sesame Ginger dressing.

Roasting veggies in the oven - yum! Coat raw veggies with a little bit of oil, sprinkle on seasonings and bake in a hot oven. This really brings out a kind of sweetness.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I blend baby spinach into smoothies. These days I enjoy mixed frozen veggies roasted in the oven with a little olive/avocado oil.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Husband and I love asparagus or zucchini on the grill. The grilled zucchini paired with tzatzki is amazing.

You can grate veggies into things like this delicious veggie meatloaf.

You can put mushrooms, tomatoes, leeks, etc, into frittatas.

You can put basically any veggie you want really into a vegetarian chili.

You can make a stir fry with stir fry veggies.

You can use bell peppers and onions in fajitas.

You can use spinach in saag paneer.

Obviously, you can mix them into green salads.

You can use most veggies to top a veggie pizza or fill a veggie calzone.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I like veggies...covered in cheese or gravy haha. I buy the frozen steam in a bag veggies, here's what I do with the different kinds:

Broccoli - usually just add salt
    Asparagus or Cauliflower- take 1/4 cup of campbells cheese (in a can) and pour it on top
    Brussel Sprouts - Melt 1 slice of american cheese over it
    Green Beans - pour 1/4 cup of gravy on top
    Carrots - sprinkle cinnamon and butter spray

Makes them way more tolerable. I usually pair my veggies with 6 ounces of protein (steak, chicken, pork chop).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like fresh veggies in season. So I buy small, I buy often, and I change it up a lot.

Onions always end up in my sauces and stews.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I steam broccoli often for dinners.
    I love salad, usually with red leaf lettuce or romaine, onion, celery, peppers, carrots, and cucumber.
    I eat fresh raw veggies for lunch every day usually carrots, cucumber, and peppers.
    I put diced peppers and onions in my omelet.
    I put peppers and onions in with potatoes when they are cooking.
    I put all of these veggies (lots of them) in homemade pasta sauce.
    Now that I write it all out, I eat the same vegetables usually, but I eat them multiple times per day so I guess it works!

a side note, my bf puts a bit of parmesan cheese on his broccoli, doesn't really like it plain, but it's a lot healthier than drowning it in sauce.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A wide variety, properly prepared, including starting with good quality vegetables that you like, in the right proportions with other ingredients (including sufficient fat), in the right portion sizes.

Browse through recipes to give you ideas. Browse the grocery store to familiarize yourself with the produce section. Try a new vegetable from time to time.

I do this:
    For breakfast, lunch and evening meal - raw vegetables, approximately 80 grams of carrots, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, rutabaga, or beets, cut into sticks or whatever makes them easy to eat.

As a side dish for many dinners - 100 grams of frozen, defrosted, heated, peas or green beans. Oven roasted brussel sprouts or parsnips. Boiled artichoke or asparagus or rutabaga. Grilled ear of corn. (Blended) vegetable soups. Casseroles like chili or pasta can have lots of different vegetables - onion, garlic, squash, peppers, kale, olives, carrot, mushrooms, spinach, canned tomatoes, celery. Stir-fry, risotto, wraps are endless possibilities.

Salads, you can use many different kinds of greens, and any add-on you like. I sneak in onion, chili, parsley into cheese on toast and tuna (or ham) salad too.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Definitely roasting! I hated Brussels sprouts until I had them roasted. So easy...Just a light coating of olive oil, a little salt and pepper, pop in the oven, and almost any veggie is transformed.

My favorite to roast: Brussels sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, butternut squash, carrots.
  • hlltwin
    hlltwin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's gardening season here in New York so we've been getting a lot of fresh veggies and eating them raw (though I peel cucumbers because the skin has always tasted bitter to me).

When veggies aren't in season, I find it harder to eat as many as I should, though I usually will buy frozen ones since the fresh ones are really expensive when they're out of season. I do like steamed broccoli when I eat out, I should probably look into steaming more at home. I'd like to try roasting Brussels sprouts (I already like them lightly boiled, which is how my mother always made them and roasting them is supposed to be even better)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes everything that was already suggested here.. I also like to chop mine up raw and mix them up with mashed avocado or hummus. I like to dip them in egg and fry them. I always put them in my protein drinks. I've gotten to the point where I just enjoy any kind of vegetable cut up and raw :smile: the crunch and natural flavors are awesome!
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My favorite vegetables - cucumbers, yellow squash, zuccini, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and radishes and snap peas - I eat raw. Sometimes, I add salt or a little bit of seasoning.
    I also love brussel sprouts, but I usually eat them from frozen, so they're boiled and cut in half with just a little butter. I plan to try roasting them soon. That sounds really good.
    I like asaparagas the way my mother makes it: cut up and fried with a little butter and a bay leaf or two. She also makes mushrooms this way.
    Corn... I usually eat boiled as well, although baby corn is good raw. I don't eat carrots often raw (I don't like the texture), but I like them boiled and with a little butter.
    Soups and stews are home for many vegetables...
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A wide variety, properly prepared, including starting with good quality vegetables that you like, in the right proportions with other ingredients (including sufficient fat), in the right portion sizes.

Browse through recipes to give you ideas. Browse the grocery store to familiarize yourself with the produce section. Try a new vegetable from time to time.

I do this:
    For breakfast, lunch and evening meal - raw vegetables, approximately 80 grams of carrots, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, rutabaga, or beets, cut into sticks or whatever makes them easy to eat.

As a side dish for many dinners - 100 grams of frozen, defrosted, heated, peas or green beans. Oven roasted brussel sprouts or parsnips. Boiled artichoke or asparagus or rutabaga. Grilled ear of corn. (Blended) vegetable soups. Casseroles like chili or pasta can have lots of different vegetables - onion, garlic, squash, peppers, kale, olives, carrot, mushrooms, spinach, canned tomatoes, celery. Stir-fry, risotto, wraps are endless possibilities.

Salads, you can use many different kinds of greens, and any add-on you like. I sneak in onion, chili, parsley into cheese on toast and tuna (or ham) salad too.

I never new you could eat rutabaga and beets raw. I wonder if I'd actually eat them that way.
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice or mash is a favorite of mine, as well as zucchini fries or boats. Other than that I love steaming almost any vegetable; also awesome to steam them in foil with fish and Asian inspired sauces. Stuffed peppers, lettuce wraps, anything in stir fry or omelettes. Celery and carrots as snacks with either cheese or cashew nut butter. Yummm. Gonna grab some now!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    hmltwin wrote: »

I do this:

I never new you could eat rutabaga and beets raw. I wonder if I'd actually eat them that way.

Give it a try. They are sweet and crunchy. Cut them into 1/2 inch wide sticks and chomp away. Then try kohlrabi :D
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I do this:

Give it a try. They are sweet and crunchy. Cut them into 1/2 inch wide sticks and chomp away. Then try kohlrabi :D

Jicama is good this way too. Nice for salads too....like coleslaw.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I heat up frozen vegetables (without oil) and add sauces I like. It's easy and quick and I have other things like lentils already made for the week which I can add.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

I do this:

Jicama is good this way too. Nice for salads too....like coleslaw.

I've been actively looking for jicama for many months, I really want to try it. It has to turn up soon.
  • hamilton8560
    hamilton8560 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Dont need fiber
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like most non-leafy vegetables roasted or grilled (toss in olive oil and spices, then toss in the oven or on the grill). I like most non-lettuce greens lightly sautéed with olive oil and garlic. Cabbage (head type) I like either way.

Dark leafy greens, cabbage, sauerkraut and brussel sprouts are to die for when cooked with smoked sausage or kielbasa.

I also eat vegetables in stews, chili, soups, casseroles, stir fry. I like mushroom or onion sauce/gravy on meat or noodles. Slaws and salads, of course. I eat a lot of salsa.

I LOVE beans and eat them almost every day - hummus or other bean dips, in Mexican dishes, bean soups, beans and rice (always add other finely chopped vegetables like celery, onions, carrots, garlic, peppers), beans and cornbread, baked beans, just as a side dish topped with chopped scallions.