Do y'all just look for low calorie foods?

Options
I can't believe eggs are so high in calories

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Too many eggs are high in calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I want volume and if so I'll have salad or popcorn. But for regular eating I eat regular food. I just watch portions. So my daily diet includes nuts, peanut butter and cheese.

The lions share of the calories in an egg (which is an impressive source of protein by the way) is in the yolk. If calories are a concern get egg whites in the carton. You can even whip those whites foamy and get a lot more volume for your calories.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I just eat smaller portions of calorie-dense foods so that they fit into my calorie goal.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    hm? A large egg is only like 70-80 cals. Unless you're eating ostrich eggs, it seems like to me eggs are pretty low cal, and they have lots of awesome protein! if I chop up some nonstarchy veggies (onion, tomato, bell pepper for example) and make an omelet with 2 eggs that's only gonna be like 200 to 250 calories.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Eggs aren't that high in calories. Have good protein value.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think the opposite: for how long they hold my appetite and the high amount of protein in them...I'll cut elsewhere before I cut out eggs. Breakfast with 2 eggs and toast can run 250 calories total. 2 eggs over easy, weight watcher's toasted bread, and a pat of butter. :)
  • espressoshotsandheavysquats
    Options
    I can't believe eggs are so high in calories

Each gram of fat contains more than double the amount of calories in the same number grams of protein (and carbs as well).
    So if you are looking to reduce calories but still eat eggs, go for egg whites. They do not have any yolk and reduce the calories you'll intake by about 45-50. That's not to say that you shouldn't eat egg yolks; just because something is high fat or high calorie does NOT mean it is unhealthy (or, regardless, that you shouldn't eat it).
    I think the main thing you should focus on is eating more foods that contain micronutrients and making sure that what you are eating is going to satisfy you. Dieting isn't about low calorie foods, it's about altering your lifestyle to be healthier. With that being said you have to find what works for you because simply eating clean foods gets old. It's about balance. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No, I eat a variety of foods -- some are calorie-dense and some are low calorie. Things like peanut butter, coconut, avocado, olives, chocolate, and breads (to name some of my favorite higher calorie foods) help me feel full and happy so I make sure to eat them regularly. I just also ensure that I'm properly logging them so they don't negatively impact my weight.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! lol I dont think they're really high in calories. Much better than say eating a bagel with cream cheese or something for breakfast. I like to take two eggs and scramble them with 1/2 ounce of cheddar, 1 ounce of ham, and a little onion and serve them with 1 piece of wheat toast and 1/2 tbsp of butter. Less than 350 calories for the whole meal. One plain bagel with cream cheese has nearly 550, plus all of the protein in that egg scramble keeps me full and gives me energy all day.

I HATE eggwhites by the way lol. Sometimes if i'm at a restaurant on a Sunday with family i'll order two eggs over easy with two strips of bacon and two sausage links. Only about 450 calories in that meal as opposed to getting french toast or pancakes or virtually anything else which would have 1000+. Eggs are not the enemy!! haha
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Nope, not at all. Just try to balance protein/fat/carbs and control portion sizes. I eat eggs almost daily.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, but not usually.

And how are eggs high-Calorie? As gothchiq pointed out, an egg is usually around 70 Cals.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Heck, no! I just eat normal, everyday foods, with no tinkering. Just not too much.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I like low calorie foods because that leaves more calories available for more food. But not all my food is low calorie. I consider eggs to be a low calorie food, though. Not as low as lettuce or zucchini, but still pretty low.

Just like I balance everything else in my diet, I balance low and high calories foods.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Most of my foods would be considered high calorie and high fat. I just eat smaller portions. I eat 2 eggs every day, along with bacon. This keeps me full for hours. I actually just switched from egg whites to whole eggs and the difference in satiety is incredible. I used to be hungry again in an hour or so, but now I can go 4-5 hours.