I don't wanna be a SUGAR GLIDER! Help me!

Options
So look. I let stuff get outta hand. I had my second child two yrs ago. Tough pregnancy w c-section. Gained a bunch of lbs. not so good.

Let's take it back four yrs ago. I had lost 60 lbs. so went from 297 to 237 ish. Lol gotta include the math. Idk. So I kinda got freaked out Bc I started to feel like my skin wasn't shrinking as fast as me. At the time i made it a bigger deal than it was. But now that my precious crazy daughter wrecked my stomach, and -uh- fupa, I'm legitimately worried about this. It derailed my diet yrs ago Bc, well, I'm neurotic about certain things lol. But now? This freaks me out. Like I have visions of myself as a human flying squirrel. Jumpin off a cliff and grabbing a handful of skin. Just coasting along w the birds. Or a life in spanx. I've even thought about practical uses FOR the extra skin. Seriously disturbed my bf lol. Nothing sexual. Im strange but not like that.

I started out at 315. I'm 28 yo. Am I being nuts? Or is this like really something I should worry about? Pointers? I appreciate it thx!

Btw. For anyone who may find this offensive, don't. It's how I see myself not you. And I prefer to laugh at myself most of the time. I have the utmost respect for anyone who HAS managed to lose a bunch of weight. Idk. Maybe that extra skin is like a medal, but even so wrestlers and boxers don't wear their award belt everywhere. That thing is big

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Having loose skin is significantly better than being obese from a health point of view.

This.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You probably haven't got loose skin (at 28!). What you've got is loose fat. Pinch the folds and you'll feel fat cells in there. Your skin is only a few mil thick, but I bet that fold is half an inch or more.
    It'll go when you lose a bit more weight.
    Exercise, massage, moisturisers and long sleeves/pants will save you for now. You'll look (and feel) so much better for losing weight. Just keep going!
    For skin to remain flexible you need to eat a balanced diet including protein, carbohydrate and fat. (So no low carb or low fat substitutes please.)
    I'm 61 and fully confident that my flabby arms will soon go.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do want to be a sugar glider! Who wouldn't? Fluffy, adorable and you can FLY.

However, as my highest possibility of loose skin is on my stomach (pregnancy, sigh) I do not think I will be capable of flight any time soon.

I would way rather have loose skin than carry on being obese. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils.
  • ambalam
    ambalam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not saying I'm not gonna do it. I thought about it and either I could do this now. Or not. Give up and get sick. And lose my legs or vision. What's the next low? Strokes, chf, etc? No thx. I worked in a nursing home for a long time. I know what goes wrong when you don't maintain the human body. Which is ridiculous Bc I know this, and I've lost track of myself. Fortunately, appearance is the only thing that may be scarred. I'm lucky to not have diabetes or anything. High bp, ehhh idk. Probably. My kids can't grow up to be this either. It's one thing if I screw myself up, but not them like this. Especially my girl.

Basically, I got caught speeding and now I'm trying to get out of a fine, metaphorically. I'm just saying am I overthinking this? And any tips to not have to deal w that. Cocoa butter? I'll do my own research Bc that's how I am. Exhaustive. And you guys have given me some good stuff to think about, thank you. I'd tag or quote but idk how.

And the crop top thing lol nah. My toddler tries going down my shirt. What's she gonna do if it suddenly gets shorter? I'm afraid to find out. Anything new to her becomes a chance for a weird experiment. And she just keeps getting smarter, and tougher, and stranger. I love her so much it's sickening lol. She's why I'd write a poem. And probably why I feel like this time I either do it or die. Loose skin or not.

Again, tips are encouraged lol.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i feel ya, though ive got 10 years on you lol

my lower stomach is pretty much the only area i TRULY dislike. right now, theres still a lot (lol) of fat on it, which is part of the problem, but the bigger issue is i know ill eventually lose that (im down 80 pounds in 2 years), is that i worry about the loose skin. I already have SOME, that may or may not bounce back, and according to Sir (my fiance), i am the ONLY one who sees it (he looks at me like im crazy when i try to point it out. but the stomach, had more to lose, and ... more skin. so yeah. i worry.

HOWEVER.... the health improvements are a thousand fold, I have the worlds most awesome guy, who loves me no matter what, and just wants ME to be happy with my body and .... its not really an area anyone but the 2 of us see, anyways.

Get in the habit of lifting for strength now, and as you lose weight , continue to work on it and then transfer to body recomp when you get close to your goal weight. It too, can HELP (not fix, but help).

and pray for good genetics. LOLOL
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    As you know, better a sugar glider than a hippo. I say that as a former hippo and current sugar glider (lost almost 200 lbs and went from super morbidly obese to "normal"). Yes, I have loose skin, but it's not as bad as you might expect. Also, no one can actually see it unless I am standing up and naked, and the only people who see that are romantic partners and medical professionals, and they can deal with it.
    Tips - I don't mean to be flippant but my tip is start saving for plastic surgery if it is really going to bother you. If there were an easy way to avoid loose skin (other than not losing weight, that is very easy), with exercises or magical potions or lotions or supplements, then no one would end up with loose skin! But even without plastic surgery, you will be happier and healthier --and more attractive -- with a lot of loose skin than with the same amount of skin stuffed with fat. And at your age I doubt you will end up with all that much anyway.
    PS I love your sense of humor, keep going :)
  • 87sid
    87sid Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I was younger (17/18) and lost weight, I had loose skin but it wasn't too bad, my boobs were the worst (D to A) and my lower tummy skin could be covered with panties. I don't remember much about my arms but my stretch marks prevent sleeveless shirts anyway. I went from 200 to 135. It didn't show through my clothes. I was basically skin and bones. This time around though I imagine it'll be worse, my arms are already flappy (235-172, goal 135). I'm not lucky in the skin genetics area and I'm older now (29). I think loose skin is worth it to not be so big anymore though. And I think it helps if it's truly loose skin and not loose skin with a decent amount of fat (referring to how it looks with clothes on).
  • ambalam
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Wow! Great job to you SibylDiane! Lol I guess I'd rather be a sugar glider, but hippos ARE wonderful swimmers. Not a fat joke, but I can relate. Love the water. Never good at sports but man can I float. But really thx for the input
  • tkdchick2016
    tkdchick2016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Agreed that it depends a lot on genetics, what you eat and how you take care of it, however; it also depends somewhat on the rate you lose too. The faster you lose the less time your skin had to "catch up" so slow and steady is your best bet if you are really worried about it.
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My 2 biggest tips are to keep loss slow and sustainable and keep hydrated! Gives your skin time to keep up so to speak.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    it sounds delicious
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    You can also try lifting weights (look into the Strong Lifts 5x5 program or Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting for Women). That can help you maintain you muscles while you lose weight. And after, maybe build some muscle that can take up some room in that skin.

But you do have youth on your side. It's worth trying.
  • ambalam
    Options
    Having loose skin is significantly better than being obese from a health point of view.

Well, so long as it improves your health:
    https://amazon.com/Castration-Advantages-Disadvantages-Victor-Cheney/dp/1414012292/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471530212&sr=8-1&keywords=benefits+of+castration

WHAT!? I'm anti-castration myself. Not sure if I'm liberal or conservative here. Lol. I'm buying this for my ex's bday.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. I had a baby at 41. Now that causes some loose skin.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is better than extra fat and believe me, the longest you wait, the worst it will be.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    But, sugar gliders are cute. You don't want to be cute?

glider1_w600.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)