100 pounds to loose!

Options
Alice1118
Alice1118 Posts: 10 Member
I am just starting out, terrified I am 100 pounds overweight. Any help and tips are appreciated. I started with 1200 calorie diet and Jillian Michaels 20 min workout, anything else I can do? Anyone who is where I am right now or was where I am right now please help!! Thank you so much

Replies

• robboughton
    robboughton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, I am working on a 100lbs loss too. I seem to be on a plateau but I wont give up
  • BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My tip would be to NOT cut your calories too much. I think this is the most common mistake people make when they're first starting out. They cut they're calories so drastically in an attempt to quickly lose weight that they then feel like crap because they have no energy and they're usually starving and that leads to binging. Also, if you start really low you have nowhere to go when you reach a plataeu. If you're 100lbs. overweight you do not need to cut down to 1200 calories, that's way too low to start with.

If you haven't already done so, go to MyHome >> Goals and then at the top of the page right above the Daily Nutrition Goals section, click on "View Guided Setup" and enter your information and at the bottom where it asks "What is your goal" select 1.5 pounds per week. Myfitness Pal will now decide how many calories you should eat per day to lose 1.5lbs per week. Stick to this for 4 weeks and see what happens. As you lose weight you need to update your "current weight" on here so that Myfitness pal can adjust your daily calorie goal.
  • Alice1118
    Options
    Thank you so much for the tips and encouragement. I am afraid to eat more calories because it might lead me to overeating or eating wrong food, my fitness pal suggested 1550 calories for me but I think it's too high I won't loose anything
  • miss_81
    miss_81 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi Alice. I know it's terrifying, I have 100+ lbs to loose, too and sometimes it seems overwhelming. Take it one step at a time and be patient.

MFP suggested me 1550 cals at first, too, for a 1 lb weight-loss a week. I started with that calorie goal and as I got a better grasp on how to balance my meals, I could take it to 1350, which is my current calorie goal and I feel great. I've lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks.

I'd suggest to start with MFP initial recommendation and analyze if you can go with less without being hungry, tired or feeling weak. Keep in mind, if you are exercising, your body needs fuel and 1200 cals won't give you enough. Be careful in that issue, because the goal is to burn fat, not muscle, and if your body is not nourished enough to sustain exercise, that's exactly what it's going to do, it's going to take it out from your muscles.

BTW, a 1550 goal is still a good goal. You will loose weight with that goal, because it's still several calories lower than your BMR. I'd suggest you to do some research about BMR and even look for an online calculator, so you can verify the impact of the calorie goal in your calorie burn everyday.

Oh, and feel free to add me ;D
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi Alice! re-joined a few weeks again, but faithfully have been logging for a week. I hopped on the scale, and realized I have 88lbs to shed. Although daunting, I know WE can do it!!!
  • beverleebohm
    beverleebohm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I am 37 years old with 4 sons. My doctor has recomended that i lose 75 lbs. I am looking for pals to get me motivated and that i can help as well!
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Alice1118 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the tips and encouragement. I am afraid to eat more calories because it might lead me to overeating or eating wrong food, my fitness pal suggested 1550 calories for me but I think it's too high I won't loose anything

The point of this though is so that you have sufficient calories and having enough food that you don't get the feeling to over eat. The calorie deficit is already built into the calories that MFP gives you. Stay at that number or under and you will lose weight. Down 114 pounds following the recommendations of MPF. I have a little more room to be aggressive though.
  • medic933
    medic933 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this also. I've had the app for a few years but really just started 2 weeks ago. Have about 100 to lose. Feel free to add me for support.
  • Alice1118
    Options
    Thank you for your advice everyone I will up the calories a bit, also anyone with so much weight to loose experience what exercise do you usually do and for how long. I am always busy with work and family so carving out time is very hard.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Alice1118 wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice everyone I will up the calories a bit, also anyone with so much weight to loose experience what exercise do you usually do and for how long. I am always busy with work and family so carving out time is very hard.

I've lost 112lbs so far! It's taken me about a year to do it. I bought a cheap elliptical off craigslist and started with that. Since the weather has been warm, I'm mostly walking outside or at the mall if it's too hot! Take your family with you! I have a four year old and sometimes we bribe him with netflix on my phone and the stroller so we can keep a good pace and he gets rewarded with playground time after we walk. Once the weather is too cold, I'll go back to the elliptical. I also like a smartphone app called Sworkit. You pick the amount of time you have 5,10, 30 minutes etc, and the type of exercise, cardio, stretching, bodyweight and it makes a customized workout. It's great! Make sure you download it with good wifi if you can. there are videos that show how the exercises are done so it's a bit of a space hog. Best of luck!
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Alice, weight is lost mainly in the kitchen. You don't have to excercise to lose weight. That being said you do have to excercise for your health and to tone your muscles. I started out by getting my eating in order, and gradually increasing my numbers of daily steps. Mainly by taking the long way to the water cooler, parking farther from the office and stores, going up and down every aisle of the grocery store. Mall walking even. Adding Pokemon go. After almost 3 months I just started back at the gym this week.
  • Mdistler92
    Mdistler92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have 100 pounds to lose, so you're not alone! Just starting today as well.
  • Alice1118
    Options
    For anyone that lost 100 pounds, how long did it take you?
  • Alice1118
    Options
    Thank you for replies and tips everyone. Best of luck to you on your journey.