Leg recovery - any tips?

Options
Started 5X5 yesterday - and despite it being relatively light weights, I'm clearly using my muscles differently when doing the squat than when I run etc.

Any tips for recovery? My legs just feel - fatigued, a little sore, you know the feeling.

What I'm more worried about is that my next session is tomorrow evening, and I have to run ~13 miles on Sunday. Perhaps I should have delayed beginning 5X5 until next week.....

My rough plan so far is: keep moving (gentle walking), fluids (water) and upping my protein intake. Maybe some of you can give me other ideas? ta.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dont do leg day before long run day! that's my only advice.

all the rest is what you've said, make sure you're eating enough in general - i find long distances difficult on a deficit, as well as enough protein.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Don't skip the workout, it stops after the first week and until you are hitting higher weights it shouldn't interfere with your running. Eat, drink, sleep.

Leg day is 3 days out of the week, you only get one day not preceeded by a squat day. Running will make your legs feel better.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Definitely no leg day before long run day!! Yoga may help!! Along with everything else that you said!!
  • its_ash6972
    its_ash6972 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Drinking some Bcaas and foam rolling always makes me feel much better!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    foam rolling
    it hurts so good.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    This is temporary.

If you are too achey then skip tomorrow.

You will find that after a few heavy leg sessions, you wont ache as much as you are aching now.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling. It's like BDSM for people who workout.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    SL5x5 will only hurt you for the first 1-2 weeks. As far as recovery, other than time, I found eating the proper amount of nutrients after a workout and a heated compression leg massage machine both work wonders. BCAA or any other tricks don't really work for me. I've yet to try foam rolling, but I hear great things and see people doing it at the gym all the time.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling, lacrosse ball, yoga all have helped me.

Also I would try running same day as working out. It a better option for your legs to recover as you get a true rest day after.
  • Dali032484
    Dali032484 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Low fat chocolate milk is a nice recovery drink. Increasing your protein intake also helps.
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I find foam rolling before and after a session helps with recovery and performance.
  • robertpcooke
    robertpcooke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hot bath with Epsom salts
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well, the 13 miles turned out to be 14, and I made it - the discomfort from Wednesday's squats had more or less gone by Saturday afternoon, but I still felt the last few miles and hills of yesterday's run. I reckon I probably needed a bit more R&R....
  • Timothyh27
    Timothyh27 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take time to warm down after exercising. Get some good stretches in.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I like running the day after a leg workout because the run normally releases the lactic acid that has built up in the legs after a leg workout. The beginning of the run is normally tough with Leg DOMS but after a while it gets a lot easier.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, a jog, a light run. Maybe some butt kickers and stretching. The start of any run will have your legs feeling like lead, they'll ease up.
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd update this: stretches and foam rolling seemed to be the answer for me.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What is your priority? Strength or running? Strong Lifts and other novice programs are meant to give you the fastest strength gains in the shortest time possible - adding running in that will definitely blunt your progress.

You have to choose to:
    • prioritize running, thus having a slower squat progression
    • prioritize squatting, thus having a slower run progression - Only do running AFTER squatting
    • do a strength & conditioning program which includes both, but at a lower frequency (replace power cleans with rows, I wouldn't do power cleans without an Olympic lifting coach) This program also has conditioning a day after squatting, giving proper recovery time for both.

This gets you 2 squat days and 3 running days. Keep in mind that running DOES conflict with squatting, as the impact from runs (especially hill sprints) takes away from squatting recovery. I personally use other methods for cardio that has less of an impact on squats, such as rowing or weighted sled pushing. Though I fully endorse running - nothing feels quite as good as it :)
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Started 5X5 yesterday - and despite it being relatively light weights, I'm clearly using my muscles differently when doing the squat than when I run etc.

Any tips for recovery? My legs just feel - fatigued, a little sore, you know the feeling.

What I'm more worried about is that my next session is tomorrow evening, and I have to run ~13 miles on Sunday. Perhaps I should have delayed beginning 5X5 until next week.....

My rough plan so far is: keep moving (gentle walking), fluids (water) and upping my protein intake. Maybe some of you can give me other ideas? ta.

I personally like 5-10 minute ice baths if you can take it.