Is cycling really quicker for short trips?

Options
I saw somewhere that for trips of less than 5 miles that riding a bike would actually get you where you are going faster than a car. Well I don't have a car and I live in a small town where I work roughly 1-1.5 miles depending on route I take. I work at a grocery store so hauling back a bunch of groceries is never a big deal and I have Amazon prime si I rarely shop in retail stores. Is cycling actually faster?

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of it would depend on the cycling infrastructure of your area; e.g., whether you're biking on roads, bike paths, etc. I really have no idea if it would be faster or not than walking ... But it's definitely not going to be faster than having it delivered to your door via Amazon Prime ;)

But, if you're interested in biking to complete errands, it can be a great way to bump up your TDEE a bit a couple of times a week. I love walking to get groceries because it gets me out of the house.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It all depends on how dense your population is and what road conditions are like. As someone that bikes to and from work, I can tell you cars will always be faster except if you are in inner city with a lot of stop lights and it being rush hour. Even with stop lights spread out just a quarter mile apart, the cars will usually keep up or pass you. Keep in mind, that cyclist need to obey traffic laws such as stop lights as well.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Faster than what? An F-16? You don't have a car lol
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I find biking to the grocery store is faster but hauling it home is slower and most of it due balance issues.
  • King_Spicy
    edited August 2016
    Options
    edit: I also don't have a car, and my work is 10 miles away from my apartment on the route I take. At 1.5 miles away, just start biking and dont' even think about it. If you don't ahve a bike, I wouldn't even worry about buying one. Thats short enough to jog, or even walk in 15-20 minutes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.
    Depends on route, parking, traffic congestion, size of quads.....

Very efficient way to warm up for the gym. :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    In a congested central city area with limited parking the bike may be faster on short trips.

Outside of that, the car will be faster
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    After visiting my son in Switzerland I noticed how refrigerators are small and people typically shop or go to market daily. They usually walk or ride a bike and the parking lots are very small. They also have smaller waistlines and look "fit". I decided to adopt some of these habits and got a commuter type bike. I then loaded it up with a rack that has expandable removable pannier bags for groceries. I also have a bike mount 64 oz insulated stainless beer growler. Now I think of a little something I need from the store and set out. The Co-Op is 1 1/2 miles away and the big store is 4 miles away. So to answer your question its not quicker for me but for the store that is close its not a big difference either way. If I were in an area that had parking hassles it could be quicker.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    In a congested central city area with limited parking the bike may be faster on short trips.

I work near the zoo, and during spring break, traffic is a nightmare. I walk to my car a mile away, and I beat the cars trying to get out of the area...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    palxi2ehgwks.jpg

I'ma gettin' one of these!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    It takes me half an hour to drive to work and half an hour to cycle because I work downtown and rush-hour traffic slows me down a lot more in my vehicle than on a bike, I find, due to the roads I have to take to drive vs the multiuse paths/bus lanes I can use to cycle.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I live I a congested area and it's about the same time if it's 1-5 miles.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    After visiting my son in Switzerland I noticed how refrigerators are small and people typically shop or go to market daily. They usually walk or ride a bike and the parking lots are very small. They also have smaller waistlines and look "fit". I decided to adopt some of these habits and got a commuter type bike. I then loaded it up with a rack that has expandable removable pannier bags for groceries. I also have a bike mount 64 oz insulated stainless beer growler. Now I think of a little something I need from the store and set out. The Co-Op is 1 1/2 miles away and the big store is 4 miles away. So to answer your question its not quicker for me but for the store that is close its not a big difference either way. If I were in an area that had parking hassles it could be quicker.

I wish I can do this. One day perhaps. I live on a lot of hilly streets so... the other option is a vespa but that wouldn't burn that many calories.

Definitely the issue with travelling short distances with cars is parking.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yes, up to 3 miles or so inside the city it will roughly be equal...especially when you factor in parking. We live 1.5 miles from our city's central park/zoo/museums and I refuse to drive because it takes twice as long just to hunt for a parking spot 1 mile away and walk. Same for grocery store. If it's a small amount I need, quicker to bike and park up front.
  • King_Spicy
    Options
    He says he lives in a small town. I doubt parking is a factor
  • auddii
    Options
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    He says he lives in a small town. I doubt parking is a factor

Well, he doesn't have a car, so this is just a hypothetical anyways, right?
  • King_Spicy
    Options
    He could be deciding whether to spend $2k on a road bike or $2k on a car :lol:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    I saw somewhere that for trips of less than 5 miles that riding a bike would actually get you where you are going faster than a car.

I live in Seattle, so driving speed is about the same as biking speed, thanks to traffic. Parking a bike means leaning it inside wherever I'm going, or perhaps locking it to a pole outside; parking a car means circling a block endlessly for 30 years minutes while swearing incessantly, then finally giving up and going home or paying $50 for an hour of parking. Guess which is more enjoyable?

Assume you'll average about 10 mph on a bike. Might be faster, might be slower, it depends on your fitness, how hilly your route is, the wind that day, etc. But that's a good round number that's pretty close to the truth for most beginning cyclists on the road.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

He also gets groceries delievered.

ETA - oops misread that. He gets other things delivered.
  • auddii
    Options

Bike doesn't require monthly insurance; bike hands down.