EMOTIONAL EATING

Options
So, tomorrow morning my 4 year old daughter will be leaving to go on vacation with my family for a week and a half. I do not do well when I am away from my baby for a day or two, none the less a week and a half. I am already having terrible anxiety about this and the last time she was away from me for a week plus I was very depressed, did not get out of bed the whole week, other than to go to work, and did terrible with my eating. I am already starting to feel the urge to eat everything and anything I can get my hands on. I know that I am an emotional eater. Food has always been my comfort and so I know this is going to be really difficult, but I do not want to fall off track this time. Does anyone else struggle with emotional eating? What do you do to cope when the temptation gets really bad? Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and I hope you all have a blessed day!

Replies

• cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If you already know it is going to be a problem, try to get a handle on it ahead of time. If you are depressed and do not want to get out of bed, chances are you are not going to want to go to the store to buy junk food. So get rid of any "bad options" that you could do some major damage with now, while you still can! Get healthy options, like fruits and veggies that are easy to grab instead.

Also, take it one day at a time. If you know a week and a half is too much for you to deal with, just worry about today. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Good luck!
  • cbr2016
    cbr2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As an emotional eater also, if I know something is going to happen that will trigger this for me, I changed my goals for that duration. I know I am going to make some unhealthy food choices during that time and eat more, I resign myself to it but instead set other goals - such as exercise more during the that time. If you give yourself leeway, your wont feel as much guilt. The guilt is what is going to trigger more and longer emotional eating. Good Luck!
  • sarahkessler22
    sarahkessler22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater and I face depression, too. I was searching for that phrase and I'm glad people responded. These ideas are very helpful. Thank you!!
  • Cathyb2245
    Cathyb2245 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater too. Lately what has been helping is focussing on making good food decisions one day at a time. I typically binge at night and so tell myself, no, just not tonight, or not this hour. And I have noticed if I am tired I eat lots of sugary things, so have started going to bed earlier. Hope that helps. Good luck
  • jolyn828
    jolyn828 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater-and I have found trying to keep my self busy helps-I lost my husband 4 weeks ago and there are times that I just want to sit down and eat a whole bag of chips and have done so-find little reorganizing projects-take advantage of the time to focus on yourself-get some much needed exercise-I found out exercising after work helps, I thought I was a morning person but the evening is pretty good plus it makes me not want to come home and eat everything. Hope it helps. Have a great day.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Don't buy the foods you know you'll binge on. Replace them with high fiber and/or protein foods. Do things that distract your mind, like catching up on tv shows, playing video games, exercise, figure out a hobbie, learn some magic tricks, make some crafts for your daughter (that way you're thinking of her and keeping your hands busy), etc.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem so I hope my idea isn't insensitive. But maybe plan distractions for that week? LIke going to an exercise class three times that week at night.. visiting a friend… attending an event like a symphony or play.. book your week with things to do that are totally different from your routine. It will keep your mind busy on adjusting to the new environment and keep out of old patterns. Also keep all events non food events.
    You'll also be doing new things.. and it is fun and build self esteem to get out of old routines..makes you feel powerful. Then you'll be happy knowing your child is having a fun week and so are you. Good Luck.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    jolyn828 wrote: »
    I am an emotional eater-and I have found trying to keep my self busy helps-I lost my husband 4 weeks ago and there are times that I just want to sit down and eat a whole bag of chips and have done so-find little reorganizing projects-take advantage of the time to focus on yourself-get some much needed exercise-I found out exercising after work helps, I thought I was a morning person but the evening is pretty good plus it makes me not want to come home and eat everything. Hope it helps. Have a great day.

Hugs, and great advice.

To the OP, exercise does wonders for my mental/emotional health. It's tricky, because when you're feeling blue, you don't feel like exercising, but push as much as you can. Getting out in nature sometimes helps. Journaling sometimes helps. Accomplishing a small task sometimes helps. Perhaps you can do start a project to surprise your daughter when she gets home.