veggies

Options
mcsolis
mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
i would really like to incorporate more veggies into my diet and would appreciate if anyone had any easy to prepare recipes including red and green peppers spinach and squash

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Oh, you can stuff peppers with a lot of things! I like to put cous cous with carrot, peas and mushrooms in a red pepper, it's yummy!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You can but all of those in a stir fry. water down the sauce so its light then family members who might think it doesnt have enough "flavor" can add more but you dont have to! and put it over brown rice instead of white ;)
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I do a stir fry with a bunch of those veggies, except spinach.

I like....
    green cabbage
    red onion
    green peppers
    zucchini squash
    all stir fried with either pam or olive oil and salt and pepper. I add diced chicken to it.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    You can saute all of those up with some onions... a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper. I do that once a week and eat it with Jenny O turkey sausage.

Grilling summer squash and zucchini is really yummy... Pretty much any veggie on the grill is good... I am partial to grilled asparagus.

Just try to have veggies at every meal... Even breakfast! :) Eggs with peppers and tomatoes... :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Get Chicken breast chop it up, stir fry it for a couple of minutes in low sodium chicken broth and chopped veggies all you mentioned stir fry them in. When it is tender add a 1/2 to 1 cup of broth bring to a boil and a teaspoon or 2 of corn starch to thicken it up and serve it over brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat egg noodles or whatever you want.

I had this yesterday over plain quinoa. I added coconut milk and a bit of curry to the broth. Everyone loved it.
  • mcsolis
    Options
    thanks guys all those sound really good
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    i would really like to incorporate more veggies into my diet and would appreciate if anyone had any easy to prepare recipes including red and green peppers spinach and squash

Hey---so I'll tell you what I like to do: Take some spinach, ice, orange juice, baby carrots, blueberries and half a banana; throw it all in a blender and make a shake out of it. I'm telling you, it's delicious and a super good way to get some fruits and veggies in your diet.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    To get more veggies into my kids, I make a "base" for soups and chili. I put carrots, onions, and bell peppers into a food processor and that's what I use as part of the broth. I put a little oil in the pan, dump it in and let it cook a little, add some reduced sodium broth and water, some nutritional yeast, and then finish up with ingredients for the soup. Or instead of the broth and water, I do tomato sauce and canned tomatoes and then finish up with the beans and spices. Adds veggies and vitamins, but the kids are never the wiser. :)
  • electriciatea
    Options
    the easiest is chopping peppers or squash into strips and eating them with a little hummus.

you could also chop peppers into super little pieces add some onion or tomato or cucumber and pineapple or mango with a bit of lemon or lime juice, cilantro and a touch of salt for a super fresh salsa! put it over arugula for a delicious, spicy salad. add grilled chicken breast, steak, fish, beans or tofu for an well rounded dinner.

especially for raw veggies, organic and heirlooms taste better!

peppers & squash lightly stir-fried with salt and pepper is great over rice. add corn tortillas and a protein for fajitas.
  • mcsolis
    Options
    Hey---so I'll tell you what I like to do: Take some spinach, ice, orange juice, baby carrots, blueberries and half a banana; throw it all in a blender and make a shake out of it. I'm telling you, it's delicious and a super good way to get some fruits and veggies in your diet.

i have always wanted to try a fruit and veggie shake but can u taste the veggies in it
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

i have always wanted to try a fruit and veggie shake but can u taste the veggies in it

Not normally! My sister makes green smoothis and I cant get over the texture but it doesnt taste like veggies unless she uses kale then she has to use stronger flavored fruits to balance it out
  • freedomplease
    Options
    I totally cheat to get my veggies in...I have salads and green smoothies. I can get in at least a cup or two of spinach in and not taste it. :wink:
  • evilbanks
    Options

That's the beauty of it all, the orange juice pretty much drowns out the taste of the spinach. It tastes really good, you should at least give it a try.
  • evilbanks
    Options

Not normally! My sister makes green smoothis and I cant get over the texture but it doesnt taste like veggies unless she uses kale then she has to use stronger flavored fruits to balance it out

I agree. This can't be done with other leafy lettuces such as kale or mustard greens, they are simply too bitter. Spinach works perfectly because the taste of the spinach is so mild and get drowned out by the orange juice etc...
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean Zucchini Boats: Cut zucchini lengthwise, hollow out seeds, fill with kalamata olives, tomato, feta, and whatever other else you want to fit the theme.... Sprinkle with oregano. Bake, enjoy!

Veggie tacos or breakfast tacos: sautee veggies and use small corn tortillas, add shrimp, fish, eggs, tofu, or a light sweet cabbage slaw. Amazing.

Stuff peppers with quinoa, onion, mushroom, parmesan, panko, almond milk mixture. Bake.

Yummy omelets for a low-cal breakfast.

Curried zucchini served over wild rice.
  • girlontheseesaw
    Options
    Marking my place so I can use some of these ideas. Would never have thought to put spinach in a smoothie!