Splitting hairs...

Options
OK, I know this is splitting hairs and probably at the end of the day makes no difference at all, but....

Let's assume you get up in the middle of the night (1:00AM) and eat, where would you put those calories etc. The day/night before or the "new" day you are heading into?

Thanks.

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It doesn't matter, so whatever makes the most sense to you. What matters is your calorie intake (and output!) averaged over a week or so.

I'd probably log it as the next day, but if you were under calories the day before, it could just as easily go there.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter when you eat, the calories are the same.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Wherever you have room for them. Your body doesn't reset at midnight, so it really doesn't matter where you log those calories.
  • tkdchick2016
    tkdchick2016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me, honestly, if I even have the comprehension at that time of the night to log them, I would put them on the day before if I still had calories leftover. If not I would add them to the new day.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I track my intake in whatever 24-hour window I'm currently in.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You need to draw a line somewhere, but it's your total weekly deficit that matters most. How much did you eat?
  • ifrydr
    ifrydr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yeah, I do not actually log it at that time... I am just eating and going back to bed (happy I might add). I add them to the new day in the AM. As I suspected most would think the same way, the weekly (or so) average matters more than the actual day...

Now, if I could just break the bad habit of waking every night to eat I may be way ahead of the game...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Anything I eat after midnight I log as the next day. But as long as you're consistently logging them . . . that is what really counts.

Are you going to bed hungry?
  • ifrydr
    ifrydr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ha-ha no, not going to bed particularly hungry, just a really bad habit that I have had for many, many years. I have always gotten up between 12:30 - 2:00 to eat... Wasn't so bad when I was young but now I am sure it is really adding up.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A day starts at 12 a.m. and ends at 11:59 p.m. I log accordingly. But I also average my calories over a week so it doesn't matter.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It makes no matter to your body so I'd switch to the new day just as gaming systems do. At midnight.

You may want to create your own custom snack entry "Midnight Snack" to figure out how many calories these early morning forays add up to.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I basically log as I eat and use a weekly average. As long as it's logged, meh.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I would log it as "the night before" because I use my night's sleep as the break between days. But, as long as it's logged, it really doesn't matter.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Personally if I'd gone to bed and midnight passes, I consider it a new day. If I'm still up at 12:30 and have a snack, I consider it the 'old' day. The main thing is consistency though.
    ifrydr wrote: »
    OK, I know this is splitting hairs and probably at the end of the day makes no difference at all, but....

Let's assume you get up in the middle of the night (1:00AM) and eat, where would you put those calories etc. The day/night before or the "new" day you are heading into?

Thanks.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i put it on the day that is IS.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    On some of the recent days I've had my dinner after midnight. I choose to log those calories in the same day I awoke from my previous sleep in. By that standard, if I fell asleep and and woke after midnight, which I do anyway, I'd log the food during the day in which I awoke from sleep. 1 a.m. or 6 a.m., it's all the same to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If i were to eat at 1am on Wednesday, then i'd log it for Wednesday. It quite an unusual habit to wake up in the middle of the night and eat, I haven't done that once in my life. I'm not having a go OP, it's just i cant understand why? I can barely walk to the toilet and back when i wake up in the night, let a lone get up and make a meal lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Eat celery, then it won't matter, lol!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I count my day as when I wake up in the morning until I go to sleep for the evening, so if I wake on the 18th but don't technically go to sleep until the 19th, I still log it on the 18th, and so on and so forth.