4 months to lose 20lbs?

Ms_Natalie
Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
edited 12:09PM in Health and Weight Loss
Well hello everyone!

I lost 42lbs using this site and put an awful lot back on while studying for my finals! Finally finished and graduated but I feel pretty lousy about my gain. It's not an awful amount but enough for me to know that Ive put on weight. I've lost 5lb since getting back into calorie counting with MFP and feel great again.

I was just wondering whether 20lbs in 4 months really is attainable at my weight? I'm getting back into running 3x a week and know that this helped in the past.

I'm getting married in 4 months and would love to get down to 140lbs (my all time goal) I'm now 17lbs away from this...any tips from people who have managed to get to their goal??

Thanks in advance!

Natalie :flowerforyou:

Replies

• grahamf3
    grahamf3 Posts: 3
    Hi there nice ppost, I have just lost about 18 Ilbs in the last 5 weeks so what you are trying is totally possible - all I have done is stay on the calorie target and cut out bread and potatoes totally - also reduced the alcohol intake by over half... Hope that helps.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Five pounds a month is a do-able thing. Shoot for two pounds a week and that times four gives you eight pounds a month, and that times four gives 32 pounds in four months. Thats well over twenty pounds. Good luck.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Hey girlie! I think 17 lbs by your wedding is very reasonable, it's only a little over a pound a week. Definitely make sure you keep close track of your calories and eat enough, I've found that 1500 works for me and that's set to lose 1/2 a week. But, I was actually losing more than that in the beginning of June when I finally broke my plateau. If you start to stall, change up your exercise and look at your eating habits. I cut out sodium and started packing my own lunch to eat at work and that REALLY helped to get things moving.

You can do it, we're here to help!
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    I lost 30 pounds (from 205 to 175 and hit a "healthy" BMI) in 2 months, 1 week. So, I wouldn't say it is an impossible goal. But then, it really depends on your metabolism and body type, amongst a million other things. But 20 pounds is only 1.25 pounds a week. Good luck and no matter what (even if you do fall a few pounds short of your goal), remember that this is your wedding and you will look beautiful!!!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Wow, congratulations on graduation and engagement! Sounds like you have a lot of exciting things going on in your life. I think your goal is very reasonable! Good luck with it. Stick to your activity, drink your water, limit those processed treats, and keep on trucking! You'll be a gorgeous bride.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    First, congrats on graduating, and getting married! You can TOTALLY reach your goal, if you set your mind to it. I lost 20 pounds in 4 months. Wasn't always easy, I had some plateaus, set-backs, fall-offs, but I just pushed through, and did it. I also have about 17 more that I'd like to shake before the end of the year. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I have found that the best way to ensure steady loss and long-term maintenance (so you don't gain again) is by setting MFP to 1 lb/week loss and being very careful not to fall below my calorie guidelines INCLUDING eating exercise calories. I try hard not to leave even 100 cals remaining per day--even going over a bit into the red and I continue to lose steadily each week, while having plenty to eat even going out for meals several times a week.

Here is a thread that was helpful in changing my mindset:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Since you are a runner, I think it may be helpful for you to read the first post and see if it applies to you.

blessings.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    When is your final bridal gown fitting? Not to put more pressure on you (I know that;s the LAST thing you need when getting married) but I would suggest you stay within a pound or two of the weight you are at your final fitting so your dress will be as flattering as it can possibly be! No one wants their wedding dress to be too big or small!
    Just something to think about. :-)
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Thank you so much everyone! Really :flowerforyou:

I'm now at 157lbs and know that when I tried my dress on it was an inch too small...at 152lbs it was half an inch too small..so I know If I get down to 140lbs it should fit perfectly.

I'm working at 1200 cals at the moment...and usually burn 500 when working out. MFP did UP me to a higher calorie intake when I hit 152lbs so when I get there again, I'll increase my intake.

It may be excuses but I had so much work to get in; I had no time to work out! But if I increase my exercise then hopefully it will all work out!

Oooooooh wedding! :happy:

Thanks again xx
  • I would say that goal is very attainable. I aim for about 2 lbs. a week and that comes out to be about 8 lbs. a month. Also keep in mind though that kow fast you lose it does have something to do with your current weight and how far you are from your goal. Once you start getting closer it gets harder because your body doesn't have that much more to lose. You can do it!! Congrats on the engagement!!
This discussion has been closed.