Can you look at my diary.

Options
Can someone please look at my diary and see what im doing wrong to make my blood pressure to go up. It was a bit high before i started logging my food but every since i started logging it has gone up a lot.

I was told it could be not enough calories and or too low sodium as the more you drink the more salt you need. I do not know if its true but im sure a member would know.

thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The members here are just ordinary people using the website/app, like you. We don't have any special medical training and your questions about your blood pressure would probably be better asked of your medical care team.

That said, an initial glance at your diary reveals that you eat many high sodium foods and high sodium can be an issue for people with blood pressure issues. Things like ham, sausage, mustard, processed cheese, crackers -- these are all high in sodium.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The members here are just ordinary people using the website/app, like you. We don't have any special medical training and your questions about your blood pressure would probably be better asked of your medical care team.

That said, an initial glance at your diary reveals that you eat many high sodium foods and high sodium can be an issue for people with blood pressure issues. Things like ham, sausage, mustard, processed cheese, crackers -- these are all high in sodium.

But for the most part i am under my sodium goals or very close to it.

Thanks

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thanks

That's the generic sodium goal for everyone. Different populations -- including those with high blood pressure -- have a lower recommendation (1,500 mg per day, which you sometimes exceed in a single meal). That's why it's important for you to discuss this with your health care team. It may be that the generic sodium guideline isn't a good fit for you.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Thanks

A single meal i think i did once. My sodium for the last while was under 2000 mg. So you think maybe 1500.

Thanks

That's the generic sodium goal for everyone. Different populations -- including those with high blood pressure -- have a lower recommendation (1,500 mg per day, which you sometimes exceed in a single meal). That's why it's important for you to discuss this with your health care team. It may be that the generic sodium guideline isn't a good fit for you.

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Your BP may have nothing to do with your food intake.

See your Dr. Show them what you eat, and what stressors you may have.

My BP came down to great levels for almost two years. Then it spiked big time. It was stress caused by an employer I hated. Once I found a new employer, I am back to normal.

So, see your Dr.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I would also check all your entries that the sodium has been entered correctly. A lot of people enter sodium incorrectly or not at all. For example I'm pretty sure ham has salt in it and you have logged it with no sodium.
    I have slightly high blood pressure but have been consistently low in sodium for months, it has more to do with anxiety for me than food.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor if you're worried.

Than if you think you need it:
    DASH diet: Healthy eating to lower your blood pressure
    The DASH diet emphasizes portion size, eating a variety of foods and getting the right amount of nutrients. DASH can improve your health and lower your blood pressure. DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. The DASH diet is a lifelong approach to healthy eating that's designed to help treat or prevent high blood pressure (hypertension).

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456