Alcohol...

Options
...do you or don't you?

I am trying to eat clean (-ish) but I really enjoy a glass or 2 of wine. I've pretty much cut it out since joining the gym as I've heard it causes the body to go into a kind of 'fat storage' mode after you drink it and I don't want to undo any of my good work but I really miss having a glass or two on a Saturday evening.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Nope. I was never a big drinker anyway so giving it up was no big deal for me.

I don't even miss it. :)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Wine gives me migraines so personally I cant. My mom (who doesnt use MFP) still drinks 1-3 glasses 1-2 times a week, and is steadily losing so I dont see why not as long as you arent drinking an entire bottle
  • TheSarahHill
    TheSarahHill Posts: 185
    Options
    ...do you or don't you?

I am trying to eat clean (-ish) but I really enjoy a glass or 2 of wine. I've pretty much cut it out since joining the gym as I've heard it causes the body to go into a kind of 'fat storage' mode after you drink it and I don't want to undo any of my good work but I really miss having a glass or two on a Saturday evening.

Any thoughts?

2 glasses on a Saturday night is fine! Just make sure your active during the week and you've been eating healthy! :-)
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I do... I have cut back from about 6-12 beers a weekend to 6 beers every other weekend. It was slowing the process down a lot and once I cut back, I dropped weight quick. Occasionally, I will still have some during the week, but I make sure they fit into my calories. I only allow myself to go over with alcohol once every 2 weeks.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I could easily drink a bottle of red wine every night. I've decided that I will only have red wine once/week and I will log it as well as exercise that morning. Plus I'm not sure about alcohol causing your body to "store fat" my understanding is that if you drink alcohol your body will focus on burning that off and getting it out of your body rather than whatever you just ate for dinner for example. I may be unclear, but that's how I understood it.

But I really think that it is about a lifestyle change, and if you really enjoy having a few glasses of red wine then you can build it into your lifestyle in a healthy way. 1 night having a bit of wine is not going to hurt you when you are eating healthy and exercising 6 other nights/week

:smile:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    As a teen/young adult, I never started because of my religion. Since I became an adult, I learned more about the alcoholism in my family history, and I am so glad I never got into it. My mom has been sober for 20 years now (yipee!!) but I know that it's always a nagging trial for her.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I don't drink often, so when I feel like a beer or two I indulge (probably once every few weeks). I've only overdid it once since January and I had a lot of fun that night, so no regrets there.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I still drink, I especially love wine. I try to keep it to Fridays and Saturdays only, and I try to fit it in my calorie goals (e.g. exercise more or eat less that day). Giving up alcohol completely would be an unsustainable diet for me :bigsmile:
  • lisadhancock
    lisadhancock Posts: 103
    Options
    I love me some wine and beer but I just make sure I work out extra in order to fit it in my calorie allowance! good luck.
  • XanManMom
    XanManMom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    alcohol.... well I love it! LOL If you have the calories left I dont think there is anything wrong with using them on a glass of wine.
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    I love wine, but I can't afford to drink my calories. I'm too hungry!!! LOL
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    I adore wine, and I also love cocktails (which are far less calorie friendly.) But I have a taste for fancy cocktails, and I take pride in my home bartending skills, and I love having friends over for fancy drinks. So, I budget for it. I'm finding that I can still get perfectly adequate and balanced nutrition and leave a little room for alcohol. I've gone way over my total calories with alcohol sometimes, too, but overall I'm not having trouble keeping weight loss moving along. I've never heard of this fat storage mode thing. Fewer processed foods leave more room in the diet for truly fun stuff, like a glass of wine and a little cheese. :)
  • nfprox
    nfprox Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of wine with dinner in the evening and just work it into my calories. I'm not trying to lose too much, so I have a pretty generous calorie allowance. If it were a question of a balanced meal or wine, I'd definitely go for the food.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a lot lately but that's because I just turned twenty-one!
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I guess it's a case of 'everything in moderation'. I definitely read a study somewhere that showed as little as 2 units puts the body into fat storage for several hours after consuming alcohol. Of course I can't remember where I read it now. Typical!

Thanks again.
  • lisaschenk
    Options
    I recently lost 17 lbs in a weight loss contest at work by watching my portions and the type of food I eat. But I am a true believer in allowing yourself what I call pleasures. If you are eating right all week and exercising allow yourself that glass of wine or two. Just choose the low calorie ones and not every day. Dont over indulge. Then you feel happier because you havent given up everything you enjoy. It makes it easier to stay on task. I have a drink once in a while and I eat skittles often as well. But because of the other positive changes I have made in my routine it doesnt ruin my weight loss. So far I have not gained any weight since March and I dont feel I have given up anything. :)