unsolicited advice

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
edited August 2016 in Chit-Chat
So... I've been doing this weight loss, healthy eating, lifestyle thing for awhile (since 2006)
I know what I need to do for my body to lose weight and/or maintain and I'm well aware that what works for me and my lifestyle is not the same as what works for everyone else. At the moment, I am on my way down (again) lost 14 pounds so far and I guess it's starting to be noticeable... particularly by people who I work with, as I work all summer long and most of them are on the 9-month school schedule so I've not seen them since early June & I guess it's more obvious to them since they haven't seen me every day. One thing I've learned through the years is to NOT make a thing of it, I exercise and keep a food diary but don't really discuss it with anyone at work.

THREE people today offered their input on my weight loss today. One saw my lunch, was a busy day with back to back meetings so I'd brought a "Smart Ones" meal - got the " Are you on a diet? Do you know how much sodium is in frozen meals? Sodium will make you gain weight (uh uh)

Another informed me to be sure I never skip a meal, so my body doesn't go into starvation mode (yes, ONE meal) swears that if I don't eat at the same exact times every single day my body will grab onto all the fat I have and make more- won't matter how many calories I consume, I'll get huge!

The third person went on about carbs. Carbs will make me fat, I should not eat pasta, bread, even potatoes. EVER (then proceeded to tell me I should eat a lot of fruit- which, I'd like to mention fruit HAS CARBS!!!) LOL

Mind you, two of the 3 who offered the advice are overweight themselves.

I didn't entertain the conversation, I just listened and thank them for their thoughts... Perhaps I should be glad they noticed I look thinner and appreciate the fact they want to help. Sometimes it just amazes me at what people think they KNOW....

So, you go - share the unsolicited amusing advice you have received :)

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Meh, it happens. I don't engage those conversations much anymore. Just let them say their peace. Unless they are REALLY far off on healthy eating habits. Then I correct them.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Meh, it happens. I don't engage those conversations much anymore. Just let them say their peace. Unless they are REALLY far off on healthy eating habits. Then I correct them.

Same here but I just never correct no matter what. It's like arguing politics.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I don't bother giving coworkers advice even when they ask for it anymore. Seems like no matter what answer I give them if it's not the advice they want to hear they just ignore it..or tell me that Dr Oz said something different...like I give a phuck about what Dr Oz says.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I could have been a jerk and advised him on his bad form on rows, but hey that would be unsolicited advice
    I don't know what it's like in the trainer world, but I'd think it's your responsibility to help members avoid injury when you see they have bad form. Maybe you're not allowed to advise if you're not getting paid for said advice, I don't know.

When I get unsolicited advice regarding the way I eat, I keep an open mind, maybe they really do have something of value to say. If it turns out they don't, no biggie, they can do their thing and I'll do mine.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    yeah - I get unsolicited advice incessantly. It ranges from "Oh? A banana?? dude - those have way too much sugar!!" I ask "how much sugar?" The look blindly..."A lot." Oh.

I know the advice is going to be BS when it starts with "You know what you should do? You should just...." (sigh)

I get other advice too like "Darin, I love you, but you ripping off your clothes and flying into a destructive rage DOES NOT mean you are "the Hulk" it means you are "Drunk".
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    "Oh, you're in good enough shape. You don't need to be at the gym."
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options

I get other advice too like "Darin, I love you, but you ripping off your clothes and flying into a destructive rage DOES NOT mean you are "the Hulk" it means you are "Drunk".

This made me LOL :smiley:
  • meendriss
    meendriss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Actually, something really interesting happens to me. I very rarely get unsolicited advice, mostly because I only shared my struggles with people whom I trust and who respect my decisions enough to at least ask what's my plan of action before sharing their experience (and never pushing it on me). However, the biggest (negative) surprise came from my family. I live abroad and only get to see them about 1-2 times per year. I was recently home for a few weeks and my parents couldn't stop themselves from advising me how I should eat and work out, whilst of course asking me if I don't want some cake every evening: "It's your favorite!" :neutral:

All in all, it was exhausting and I made a mental note not to buy flights in their general direction until I'm happy with myself and confident I can ignore them, because that whole experience made my holiday less enjoyable and more self conscious :-/
  • 2rottndgs
    2rottndgs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I really get advice, but some of the comments are so inappropriate. Yesterday I had someone tell me I don't look like I've lost 52 pounds. I've come down 4 pant sizes and I went from wearing shirts that were a 5x to shirts that were a 3x and I'm coming out of those into 2x's.

My mother was beyond shocked that I've given my larger clothes away to goodwill. According to her, that was a mistake because what if I NEED them again. I looked at her and said that I was never going back to being that size again. I'm over not being able to do things, I'm over feeling unhealthy, I'm over the health issues I had...I've hit being OVER everything that I did to make myself fat like never before.

Course this is a woman that reminds me I only have 12 years to live based on my diabetic history. I'd better whoop it up according to her.

No wonder I spent 5 years in therapy. ;)