Resistance/Strength Training - anything fun?

Options
2»

Replies

• aRsenicBleu
    aRsenicBleu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Personally I say go for what you know and like. There's nothing really fun about it strength training honestly, but I do like to do bodyweight excercises. If you want it to be fun you'll have to make a game out of it yourself, or get a partner....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    hmltwin wrote: »
    My trainer said it can be as simple as adding weights to your ankles when you walk and just doing those 20 sit ups one day before bed, or push ups the next day. I also was looking at rock climbing as an alternative to strength training but want to shed some weight first to take stress off my joints.

Walking with ankle weights is pretty dangerous also.
    I'd heard this as well. Would it be better to carry weights while I walk? Then, I could arm exercises at least and incorporate the strength training into my walks.

Not really. Swinging dumbbells heavy enough to be effective (while walking briskly) doesn't sound like a good idea.

A weighted vest would distribute weight evenly, that would be pretty safe but it's not an upper body workout....lower body maybe.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,983 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP: I added some CrossFit activities that I do in my backyard to make working out a bit more fun. Here's what I set up:

1) Got a 200# tractor tire for FREE at my local Les Schwab dealer. I flip it the 50 ft width of my backyard 6 to 12 times (depending how much energy I have) which works out to 1-2 lengths of a football field.

2) I take a 8 or 10# sledge hammer and strike the tractor tire 5 x50 (250) or 10 x50 (500) times.

3) I bought a cheap sled and currently load it w/90 # that I pull in a harness moving forward and pull on the lead strap going backwards from 6 (300 ft) to 12 times (600 ft) across my 50 ft yard.

4) Bought a 50 ft battle rope and attached it to a metal rod that I sledged into the ground. Use a variety of exercises that I found on the Net w/the battle rope -- mainly waves, lateral slams and snakes.

Have also been thinking about buying a used portable basketball hoop/stand and a 20# medicine ball to use for wall ball practice. Can either take the hoop off or just toss the medicine ball to either side of the hoop to do it.

Total cost of what I bought for the sled/harness, sledge and battle ropes was only $120 but I had to pay another $140 for 4 45# steel plates because bumper plates were too large for the sled post; could only get 90# of bumper plates on the post and wanted the option to put more weight on there later. Not really necessary if you already have bumpers and only want to use 90#.

Anyway, have been having a lot of fun doing these CrossFit activities as an alternative to straight lifting. Cheapest source for the battle rope and sled/harness that I found was Titan Fitness.

Good luck!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Pole, silks, lyra, trapeze, anything aerial related is a fun strength workout that also incorporates cardio.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TRX suspension training is fun. It's still a workout, but it's more fun than body eight calesthentics and is very easy to modify for varying fitness levels.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,479 Member
    Options
    Martial arts weapons forms (sword or staff or spear) - relatively low weight, potentially high reps. For my taste, rowing, preferably on water: Leg press/pull your body weight plus the boat weight horizontally through the water around 1200-1500 times/hour. ;)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I second the TRX love. It's my favorite class and I can see a lot of progress with it. There are ways to make it as hard or as easy as you want.