Women's reg. sizes-what weight did it for you?

Options

Replies

• bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Im 5'4" and I believe I was about 190 when I started to wear an 18w :s Im proud to say that I am now out of that and can fit into a juniors sz 17! And comfortably too! I can't wait until that 17 turns into a 15 and just keeps going down!!!
  • gina4766
    gina4766 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hit 18's at about 215 and 16's at 200, in 14's now at 181. I am 5' 4" and 45 years old.
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    I am 5'2" and started at 257 in a size 24W. At around 215 I went into a size 18W. I have been wearing those with a belt since Christmas asn went shopping last weekend and bought a regular old size 14 in jeans, a dress and 2 pairs of shorts. I weigh 193 right now. I also bought 2 summer tops in XL. Woo, hoo!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 212 (5'3") and wearing my 16s again (mostly Target brand). When I got down to 203 early this year I was wearing all 16 and squeezing in to some 14. I know that when I'm around 180 I wear mostly 14. I haven't fit in anything smaller for over a decade, so I can't tell you much about that.
  • kammmmay
    kammmmay Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't remember the weight I crossed, but I remember that it seems like the sizes changed much faster the smaller I got. It seems like it took forever to go from a 22 to an 18, but really not long at all to go from a 12 to an 8. I think it all varies a lot by manufacturer.
    This is definitely true. 5 or 10 pounds can make a huge difference when you're going from size 0 to 2 or from 2 to 4 because the pants are only an inch or so bigger around in the waist, but as the sizes get bigger, there is a bigger difference between sizes.

Where do plus sizes start? Size 12? I am 5'4 and was in a size 12 dress and size 10 pants last year when I weighed 170. I have no idea what size I wear now. My body is all mis-proportioned after having my baby, so my regular clothes are still way too small, but my maternity clothes are way too big. Hopefully it will settle down soon, especially as I lose more weight.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and its about 200-215 for me too that I can get into 18s which can be found in reg. sizes at some places.
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you who are now wearing regular sizes! It's very inspiring to those of working toward it.
  • jamleee
    jamleee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just curious, what do you guys consider a regular size? I know what size I would like to be, but I honestly don't know what size is considered regular. At my highest I was a 12 & XL, now a size 8 is baggy on me.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

When I started, I was 207 and in an 18/20 (I''m 5'1"). Now I am 170 and in a 12.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means near your height. I'm 5'11", but at my highest weight, I was wearing a very tight 24W in pants, sometimes a 26W and 26/28 or 22/24 in tops. I am currently in 16W-18W pants depending on the store and a 14/16 top although I can wear an XL in regular size tops. Can't wait to be able to shop in any store and not need a plus size store or section.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    5' 1.5" here. At 186lbs, I was wearing XXL shirts and 16W/ 18. Now I'm 158lbs, and I'm a loose 12 and wear L shirts. Hoping to wear 10 by the end of this month :smile:
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest 240..I wore a 22. I got into an 18 at 200. Then I didn't get into a 16 till like 190....but I didn't stay long which was weird. I lost a lot of inches from 190 to 175. I ended up in a 12 at 175...After my baby I fluctuated from 175 to 185 and wore a 14 and couldn't even stand to try to button those 12's. Now I am 157 and my 14's all are too big and my 12's fit comfortably..I don't own a 10 so I don't know how they would fit. I just haven't felt inspired yet to buy more clothes because I want to be a 6-8 .which is what I hope to wear at 135 my goal. I'm 5'4" and I am large build with larger top.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Interesting post, thank you. I'm a 5-4.5 and I have to wear W sizes until I'm about 150, when I can go from a 16W to a regular 14. It must be because of having 2 babies and being an apple shape.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and am right around 180 (anywhere from 177-183 on a given day.) I can wear size 16's comfortably and have a couple size 14's. I'm an XL in tops.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2, when I started in Jan 2011 I was 205 and wore a size 16. I lost 20-25 pounds and that is when I moved out of plus sizes. Today I weigh 152 and can wear a size 10.

I'm 5'2" and weigh 150, yet size 10 is still too small for me. Amazing how different builds affect size:ohwell:
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I consider regular sizes to be anything I can buy OUTSIDE of the PLUS size section. For instance, at Walmart most plus sizes start at 16 or 18W and go up, while the Misses or whatever its called goes up to about size 16.

I am 5'1.5" tall and at 229 I wore a 18W tightly and 20W comfortably; now at 182 I can wear a size 12...and even have a couple 10's I can wear. I can wear size L (12-14) shirts too and have a M (8-10) as well.

It is really weird how people the same weight can wear such varying sizes!
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sad to say, but I don't EVER remember being in regular size clothes. I was 205lbs and a size 20 in middle school, 20 years ago. I will let you know when I get there though because I may throw myself a shopping spree!!!

Yeah, I feel like I completely skipped over regular clothes! It really would be nice to fit in some clothes in the skinny girl section!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I think I weighed around 200, I think it was a bit more or less , when I could stop shopping in the plus sizes.

I am 5 '4 , and I weigh in the low 140's
    I wear a size 6 in most bottoms, but anywhere from an 6- 9 in most dresses, and anywhere from a med to a x small in tops. it does vary.
    good luck :flowerforyou:
  • elaine8255
    elaine8255 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and floating in the 194-197 range. I can fit into size 14 Esprit, size 32 or 34 at Guess and between a 12-14 at Gap.

My old weight of 205-217 i was a 1x at Forever 21, 16 at Gap.

Its neat how everyone holds their weight so differently. I have no hips, no butt. It makes it easier to buy "smaller" size pants but makes it difficult to hold them up.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I'm between 5'6" and 5'7" (seem to be losing height but not losing the weight, sadly). When I get down under 220, I can start shopping in "regular" stores again. To be honest, I cannot wait! I'm so sick of showing up to work wearing the exact same clothes as the other 2 "bigger gals" in my office, because we all shop at the same stores. HA!

Every body is different for sure. I see girls my height starting out on MFP at 150 and that's the weight I am aiming for! ha.

JRena, good for you on reaching those 2's girl! Keep at it!

That is so different from me - we must be shaped totally differently (I'm 5'6"). I am down to 190 and I have been wearing lane bryant pants in a size 1 (in their stupid resized sizes so I have no idea what that is equivalent to). I noticed they are very loose on me - I think I MIGHT be able to squeeze into a 14 someplace else now.

the one thing about 'regular' stores is that the larger sizes are made for people who are actually BIGGER everywhere - like taller - so the shape of the clothes doesn't accomodate big hips/belly very well. So even if ou go up into a big size pants in a regular store, they tend to fit badly, whereas at a plus size store the bigger size is cut for fat.

So anyway depending on your shape you might be able to buy pants or shirts at the regular store earlier than the other half - I never could wear shirts at the plus size stores because I gain the vast majority of my weight lower - very little (RELATIVELY) added to my shoulders/arms/chest so the shirts at the plus size stores were always too big in the shoulders (and button up shirts at the regular stores were RIGHT out). I was living in stretchy shirts - heh.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!