Bikini not accepted? (UK, but US perspective also nice)

Options
13»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    A few public swimming pools in the UK mandate burkinis even for non-muslims which means women are not actually allowed to swim in the pools because one cannot safely swim in a burkini.
    Sure fire way for one group to take over an entire neighborhood.

I concur, proof please? And I'll add the Express and Sun to places not to link to.

Sort of proves my point about the right wing press stirring the pot about things that aren't really happening in any great numbers anywhere.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am also one with resting beyotch face, many a person has said I look terrifying when I'm just minding my own business!

As for one piece or two piece, depends what I can find and think is cute, bonus points if I can dive without losing tops, bottoms or both, much of my body likes to try and make a bid for freedom at the first opportunity.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A few public swimming pools in the UK mandate burkinis even for non-muslims which means women are not actually allowed to swim in the pools because one cannot safely swim in a burkini.

I concur, proof please? And I'll add the Express and Sun to places not to link to.

Sort of proves my point about the right wing press stirring the pot about things that aren't really happening in any great numbers anywhere.

I agree. No UK publicly funded pool can impose such dress restrictions on female patrons. That would be illegal.
    But then earlier this thread had someone say that 'Islamic numbers are increasing exponentially' which has absolutely no basis in fact either. Clearly too many people are subscribing to the Trump University Debate Team (i.e. Say whatever you want regardless if it's a total lie)
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The only time I've worn a one-piece is when I was doing water aerobics but otherwise bikini to anything water related (other than showering)
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    In my social circle bikinis are for holidays, the beach, social swimming situations. A one piece for proper swimming or taking the kids to the pool (more secure when you have young kids grabbing at you!)

I was at the beach recently, there were several Muslim families, still by far the minority, they seemed not a jot concerned about what everyone else was wearing and there were women ranging from the skimpiest of bikinis to covered from head to toe. Bizarrely enough it seems that Muslims are in fact just normal people enjoying a trip to the beach. Whoda thunk it?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Where's that then?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

Where's that then?

Yeah, I do wonder about that as well. It rather sounds like something a tabloid would write.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard someone say this- if you keep having the same problem over and over then maybe you are the problem?
    You felt like people in the USA where looking at you at the pool because you had on a bikini. You felt out of place in the UK because you had on a bikini. Maybe these places are not the problem at all. Maybe the problem is in your head. Maybe you think people are" looking" at you when really they are not thinking anything badly about you. It seems like bikini isn't the problem here. It might be your perception.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Where's that then?

Yeah, I do wonder about that as well. It rather sounds like something a tabloid would write.

There was an article in one of the tabloids a couple of weeks ago about segregated sessions at a pool in Luton. I think it might have been the Fail so have to be sceptical about it.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I found that odd. I'm from neither the UK nor the US but whenever I go to the beach or a pool (either in Canada or the US since I go there a lot... It's right next door to me lol) I feel like I'm the only one my age NOT in a bikini lol. From what I've seen, wearing a bikini is the norm for young people and not wearing one is the minority. I'd say 70% of people I've seen wear bikinis. So wearing a bikini is ALWAYS acceptable and pools can't have a rule against it I don't think (idk about the UK tho).
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am also one with resting beyotch face, many a person has said I look terrifying when I'm just minding my own business!

As for one piece or two piece, depends what I can find and think is cute, bonus points if I can dive without losing tops, bottoms or both, much of my body likes to try and make a bid for freedom at the first opportunity.

+1. I've had a few friends tell me that they thought I was a total b*tch when they first saw me. They said I looked so angry. I also often have people ask me what's wrong when I'm not smiling. For me, it's either look angry when out and about or look a little crazy while trying to smile for no reason when out and about!
  • yirara
    Options
    Have you ever heard someone say this- if you keep having the same problem over and over then maybe you are the problem?
    You felt like people in the USA where looking at you at the pool because you had on a bikini. You felt out of place in the UK because you had on a bikini. Maybe these places are not the problem at all. Maybe the problem is in your head. Maybe you think people are" looking" at you when really they are not thinking anything badly about you. It seems like bikini isn't the problem here. It might be your perception.

Who knows... I lived in the Middle East for a while, and the gated community I lived in housed both locals and expats. Nobody cared about people in bikini or burkini at the pool and thus I never felt out of place. I don't care on vacation either, and neither when I lived in Scandinavia where there were always masses of women in bikinis at pools or on beaches. I'm surrounded by beaches here but I have yet to see a single person wearing a bikini. Ok, it's too cold anyway (in my opinion that is), but anyway...
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I'd love to know where in the UK that is. Pretty sure thousands women survive swimming in a burkini every day, and Muslims are not one homogeneous group 'taking over' anything.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and swim regularly. I think it's the confidence of the top remaining in place that puts me off, but I don't think bikinis are unacceptable and I regularly see women in thin triangle held together with string bikinis and it's not a problem either.

Now the guys in long baggy surfing shorts struggling to do laps as they drag them down - they need to sort their outfits out :D
  • yirara
    edited August 2016
    Options

Now the guys in long baggy surfing shorts struggling to do laps as they drag them down - they need to sort their outfits out :D

Absolutely! My Middle Eastern beach outfit was a pair of shorts halfway down to the knee and a tshirt over a bikini (not talking a country with beach tourists here). Those clothes, together with the high salinity of the water make swimming completely impossible. You can only sit 'on' the water and read a book. Though the dead sea must be even more amazing for that.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Where's that then?

There was an article in one of the tabloids a couple of weeks ago about segregated sessions at a pool in Luton. I think it might have been the Fail so have to be sceptical about it.

Segregated sessions I can definitely see - but I'd be very surprised if any public pool in the UK had any general rules like that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    niblue wrote: »

Where's that then?

Segregated sessions I can definitely see - but I'd be very surprised if any public pool in the UK had any general rules like that.

Indeed. Hence asking for clarification up thread