Trying to get used to this whole thing....

Options
Ok, so I am 5'1" and technically I weigh 162 lbs. I have put on almost 30lbs since April, which is odd because I have to walk everywhere for the time being. I felt more active and more on the go when I was driving. I had gastric bypass surgery 6 1/2 years ago and have been great at keeping the weight off until now. I still do have like 50 lbs of extra skin that needs to be removed, but insurance won't cover it. I'm trying to drop 42 lbs to get down to 120 and for some reason I just can't get the knack of this counting calorie thing. Is is always this difficult? I can't do much in the way of exercise because of injuries... I guess I'm just looking for some help on how to figure this all out....

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe you were more active and more on the go when you were driving. Emulate some of that in your current situation.

Maybe 120 pounds is unrealistic and unhealthy for you when you have 50 pounds of extra skin. (I doubt it's that much, but anyway, it has to be accounted for.)

Can you describe what you find difficult about calorie counting? MFP is supposed to do the "counting" for you, you "just" have to set an appropriate calorie goal, log correctly, and stick to your calorie goal.

You don't have to exercise to lose/maintain weight. It can help, but it's not crucial. Being more active on the daily is more important and effective for the most of us.
  • jlkrantz
    jlkrantz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should start with small goals like lose 10 lbs and then once you do that, you can get a better view of what you did different to get to that goal.

I thought calorie counting was impossible with the amount I eat everyday but I meal prep on Sundays so that helped. I also eat pretty much the same thing each day since I plan my meals out for the work week either on Sundays for the meals or the night before for snacks. Do you meal prep at all? That may help you.

If you consume a lot of sugar then cut back little by little because that's a huge part of weight gain especially around your midsection.

Keep your chin up! Everyone's fitness journey is different. You have to experiment to see what works for you.