Budget and Fitness

Options
How much of your income would you say you spend on your fitness?

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Less than 1% - 0.4% to be exact. That includes my monthly gym membership.
    I did sink about $2,000 into a home gym in my basement a few years ago, but that's not a recurring cost.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You mean like gym memberships, equipment and clothing?
    Gym membership $20 a month and the rest no more than 1%. But I do take vacations that revolve around hiking and biking, so not sure if you mean this.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    This year? About 2%, but that includes a new bike and a home gym that aren't recurring costs. Next year will be much lower; just clothes, shoes, bike accessories, and some gym things here and there.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Funny, I have this conversation with a friend all the time. She insists I'm more fit and healthy because I make more money and can afford classes and personal trainer. I remind her when I started I just bought a good pair of running shoes. Wore crappy clothes and walked at first then started to run. Now I choose to spend more because I have fallen in love with classes and going to a gym and having gym buddies, but it doesn't have to cost squat...Haha!!! I probably spend 5% of my income. Thankfully my husband understands the importance of being healthy. pay to gym or pay to your doctor and pharmaceutical company.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    On just fitness? 2-3% for my programming. Add in meet entry fees and travel and it becomes much higher.

But then, I've also gotten to travel to South Africa and am going down to Costa Rica in a couple months. Competitions definitely can take you around the world to see some amazing places!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's pretty low. But I'm a cheapskate when it comes to certain things. I surf Amazon, eBay, store likes TJMaxx/Marshalls, Craigslist and such. IE: I just bought a pair of $70.00 Under Armour shorts at Marshall's for 19.99....

Now I will say ... I don't have a problem paying for electronics, for crying out loud I have a Wahoo Tickr X HRM, Garmin VivoActive HR, and a Edge 520. But I guess that's because I want to buy something that will last to drive down the over all cost over the long run. Stuff that wears out and fades away I try to buy second hand or at a discount store.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    None. A friend gave me some dumbbells, I do workout videos on Youtube which is free and walk everyday. It actually saves me money as I spend less on travel costs.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I was wondering about yearly costs when you include gym memberships and supplements.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is a hard question to answer, because what I spend on health and fitness is considered an investment.
    Investments make money.
    If money is advanced toward gym memberships, nutritious whole foods or certain items of equipment or clothing, what is the return on that investment?
    I weigh money spent against money saved as well as money earned by being more productive.
    I save money on medical bills...and as a healthy, physically fit man, I am much more energetic, hardworking and enterprising in my profession.
    From this perspective, money invested in health and fitness is a huge win!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    None. I do bodyweight strength training and walk/run for cardio.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    None. I do bodyweight strength training and walk/run for cardio.

haha - same here - ANYWHERE -- ANYTIME!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky, my employer pays my gym membership but if they didn't it would only be about £20 per month.

I guess I spend more than some people on food, because I place a higher value on quality than many I know but I save on food because I rarely eat out or eat take-away food, I cook from scratch and I don't drink very often (protein shakes seem to be cheaper than wine or beer).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Shoes about maybe 5 new pairs per year, so about 500 UKP
    Running and cycling clothing and equipment maybe another 500 UKP
    Race entries about 300 UKP
    Specific nutrition, maybe 200 UKP

Occasional big outlays for new bikes, would be about 1000 UKP each

No need for a gym membership as I can do bodyweight work at home, in the park or the woods.

So not a huge amount, although that's not accounting for my increased food intake and the opportunity cost of time
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I have no idea. I buy a lot of shoes. Do a couple races each year, I have amassed the equipment I need over the years.(pull up/dip station, rings, sandbags, jumprope, yoga mat) I may buy a kettlebell soon. I spend money on quality foods, but I look for deals also. No memberships, no supplements, powders etc.
  • i_ge_w94
    i_ge_w94 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    not a huge amount as i mainly use free online workouts (on youtube, Flex etc)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    shoes end up to be about 200
    gym is 60/month
    upgraded fitness tracker was 70
    clothes-20/month
    i teach aerial yoga otherwise that would be 35/month or I would take complimentary ground yoga classes at the gym
    races are 20 to 30/month on average. sometimes it's more than one a month and sometimes its none
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It's really an impossible question to answer. Every December, we rent a cabin for a week, kind of to celebrate my birthday, but also (mostly?) to ski cross country in the mountains. How much of the cost gets tallied under fitness?
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Now I will say ... I don't have a problem paying for electronics, for crying out loud I have a Wahoo Tickr X HRM, Garmin VivoActive HR, and a Edge 520. But I guess that's because I want to buy something that will last to drive down the over all cost over the long run. Stuff that wears out and fades away I try to buy second hand or at a discount store.

That's how I look at bikes. The most expensive one I've owned was thousands of dollars, but it was about $0.10 per mile.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Next to zero. A few years ago, I bought some bodyweight exercise books (used, for about $5), a suspension trainer ($50), pull up bar ($20), a used dip station ($30), and a Fitbit ($150, but it was a gift from my husband).

I workout from home or at parks; no recurring fees (I don't wear special workout clothes or shoes).

Although, I'm thinking about returning to swimming, which will set me back about $200/year for an aquatics membership to my city's facilities. I will pay for it by dropping my music and Amazon prime subscriptions (barely used, anyway). So, again, my new sport will cost next to zero (only need to replace suits, goggles, caps, etc when needed).
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    About 5-7% - but that includes memberships with additional benefits, so I'm not sure how to categorize them. E.g. my "golf" membership (I don't play golf haha) includes use of gym, tennis court, sauna, steam room, pool, discounts on my fav spa and one of my fav restaurants (including some free yummy food & wine pairings). My beach tennis membership includes a lot of social hours as we end up there instead of Friday night/Sunday sunset happy hour (less cocktails, more movement!); my dance classes are at a club which holds practice nights (free entry bonus) and I tend to help out a few hours a week when there's not enough women (free classes). Plus discounts on or free entry when there's live music/events.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Difficult to answer, as my lifting (aka fitness) is directly tied to enjoyment for me. As such, any costs I have for lifting/equipment/meets are mitigated by the fact that it's not just fitness-related.