Macros!

Options
Do you leave what they recommend for your macros or do you set your own.

I put in i want to lose 2 pounds a week it put my macros as
Calories 2390
Carbs 299
Protein 120
Fat 80

I dont know if any time in my life i ate 120 grams of protein per day.

Thanks

Replies

• jhnbwh
    jhnbwh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I SET TO TRY FOR 1 GRAM OF PROTEIN PER POUND OF LEAN BODY WEIGHT.....TRY TO KEEP FATS IN THE 30 GRAM RANGE AND FILL IN CALORIES WITH CARBS....BUT I AM NO LONGER TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT....BUT BUILD LEAN MUSCLE
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1 gram of protein per pound is ridiculous unless you professionally lift. Plus you need carbs.
    .4g x body weight is much more sane, and proven with science.
    Carbs only matter if you get most of them from sugar and refined flour. If you get most of them from vegetables, fruit, and some from whole grains I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, what are your goals?
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    1 gram of protein per pound is ridiculous unless you professionally lift. Plus you need carbs.
    .4g x body weight is much more sane, and proven with science.
    Carbs only matter if you get most of them from sugar and refined flour. If you get most of them from vegetables, fruit, and some from whole grains I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, what are your goals?

My goal is to lose 200 pounds and get healthy.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs by focusing on eating healthy, portion control, counting calories. Doing that is more important then what your macros are. (as long as you get your nutrition) Now, I gained it all back because I did not want to make it sustainable, something I realize now.
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a 190 pound female with approximately 110 pounds lean body mass. My goal is to lose 50 pounds (maybe more) while minimizing loss of lean body mass. I recently set my macros as follows:

Calories: 1,700
    Carbs: 159 (35%)
    Protein: 128 (30%)
    Fat: 66 (35%)

I've heard a number of ways to calculate protein needs including 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (110 grams for me) or .8 grams per pound of body weight (150 grams). While the USDA recommended daily allowance is .36 grams per pound of body weight (in my case, approximately 70 grams per day), my understanding is that is the minimum amount to avoid a deficiency. I haven't had much trouble reaching my 128 gram protein goal.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am 166 cm and weigh 126 lbs but after having a DEXA was advised to have 1400 cal 40% carb 30% protein and fat. I am aiming to lose 5kg fat and build muscle. I workout 4-5 days a week at the gym plus a couple of walks a week. This was designed for me by an exercise physiologist so I trust the advice. Depending on your height etc I think your calorie intake is far too high, maybe you could see a dietitian for advice specific to your circumstances.