Soreness!!!

Options
How do you guys cope with soreness. Just 4days into my exercise routines and i feel like i have been hit by a truck. :(

Replies

• jhnbwh
    jhnbwh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    STRETCHING.........
  • jill_sarginson
    jill_sarginson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, stretching. Spend 30 seconds holding a stretch post workout and you'll feel better. Several years ago, I couldn't even walk in the mornings because my muscles were so tight/sore from my workouts the previous day. The simple solution was to stretch post workout. I have no issues now.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about mild discomfort or full-blown soreness (referred to as DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness) - both are quite common, especially when new to an exercise regime.

Are you taking recovery time? (ie not running or lifting weights on consecutive days) Are you warming up before working out and stretching after? Are you trying to do too much too soon? (we're often victims of our own enthusiasm....)

Extreme discomfort may call for extreme measures......take a recovery day (doesn't mean sitting on the couch watching TV - walk, go for a gentle swim or easy bike ride etc, low impact, low intensity), stretch, take an anti-inflammatory and consider taking an ice bath (they're brutal but they can really help.....)
  • traceyidundun
    traceyidundun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks ..I havent been doing that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    My legs were quite sore after last weekend's adventures so ...

-- hot showers
    -- some stretching in the hot showers
    -- focusing on getting a little bit more water to drink, all my vitamins, and protein
    -- and walking every day to stretch things out

I am more sore if I just sit and do nothing.

I also vary the intensity and length of my workouts.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    For me, if I am so sore after a leg heavy workout day I do some walking. No hiking or anything, just maybe 2-3 miles on the flat. I find gently keeping the muscles moving followed by more stretching will help them ease off.

Swimming is also excellent, a gently swim will work lots of muscles while your body is supported by water. I feel exhausted when I get out, like my muscles weigh a ton, but they are way less sore.

When you really push yourself you will always get some soreness, but it does get less. The first workout with my personal trainer.....about 36 hours after I could barely stand! I couldn't lift my arms to wash my hair and it took about 4 days for that to pass before I felt I could do any exercise again. Now I will get soreness, usually around 24 - 36 hours after exercise....but by about 48 hours it has eased enough to work out again.

Just be careful not to confuse soreness with actual pain. Soreness you can do things to help and even push through, but pain you should not ignore. Hope this helps :smile:
  • bry1749
    bry1749 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stretching and Foam rolling work for me most of the time. If I am super sore a few days after a hard workout I'll do a very light workout using the muscle group that is sore to get a bunch of blood flow to the muscles and it helps me usually right away or the next day.
  • dprisinger
    dprisinger Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water seems to help.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    warm showers, yoga, foam rolling, time, advil
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    You are just starting your routine, so you will be sore for the first 2 weeks before your body starts to get used to it. Eating the enough of the appropriate foods, and massage works best for me, but some people swear by BCAA and foam rolling.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Muscle soreness is a symptom of microtears in the muscle caused by the stress put on them. The best solution for soreness is simply to rest to give the muscles time to recover and repair themselves. If there is swelling, use ice to reduce it. When the swelling (if any) is gone, heat, foam rolling and/or massage can make it feel better but the soreness will not go away until the muscles heal. While light exercise shouldn't hurt, additional heavy stress on the muscles will only prolong recovery and may cause injury.
  • gushfactor
    gushfactor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stretching, water, healthy fats, Aleve