Is my scale incorrect?

Options
Anyone maintaining weight according to scale even though you are meeting calorie goals and exercising every morning for 30 minutes? The belly is going somewhere because my work slacks fit much better, but the scale remains at 170 pounds. Same as 23 days ago at the beginning of my exercise and diet program. According to calorie deficit equations, I should be weighing in around 160 pounds by now. Anyone run into this problem?

Replies

• WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    I am!!! I'm going crazy trying to figure out what to do....
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    you might be gaining muscle but i would think the scale would have moved a little, maybe try out a friend's scale?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I was doing strength training I would put on muscle as fast if not faster than I lost weight. Sometimes I even gained weight while losing inches.
  • itslillers
    itslillers Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My scale hasn't budged very much either in the past 2 months. It's really frustrating.
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    check your inches, it's more rewarding :0)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I drop a little all through the week and on on Monday morning I'm almost back where I started the week before. I've been on MFP since 5/10/11 and dropped a total of 3.6 lbs. It was weeks before I lost more than that first pound. I've been walking 40 minutes during lunch for months, even in the Georgia heat. I'm on day 9 of the 30 Day Shred and I'm finally starting to see results. I just needed more exercise, or at least a change in my routine. Try doing something different for exercise or eat different foods. Change seems to help.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    It is impossible for the human body to gain more than about 1lb of lean muscle mass...a month, and that's as a male professional body builder, on a bulking diet with a heavy weight low rep routine. This is a biological fat...even though a lot of people think they're just blowing muscle out the door bulking up.

If you're maintaining weight but losing inches...it's water weight folks. Now, if your pants start to get tighter...and the scale is going up regularly...you need to pay attention, otherwise...IGNORE the stupid scale until it tells you what you want to see lol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Try weighing on another scale.
  • tkdgirl23
    tkdgirl23 Posts: 36
    Options
    it happens.. if your body is building muscle.. which is a good thing.. eventually the numbers on the scale will go down..but right now.. the body is getting acclimated to a healthier you. So don't despair.. just have patience.. and enjoy the healthier you~
  • AlexandriaMichelle
    Options
    Run into this problem ALL the time! :) It could be A. Needing a new scale. sometimes batteries start to die and gives you tricky weight gain, loss, or in your case maintaining. I totally reccomend the weight watchers scale. B. muscle weighs more then fat or C. some people show weight loss by inches instead of lbs. Maybe change up your workout routine or add more time to it. Maybe your body needs to be shocked because it got used to your regular routine. Hope this helps!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The scale is a mean mean lady.. If you're clothes are fitting better, don't worry about her. I've taken to only weighing in once a month, as the daily, weekly ups and down were too much.