62 year old Grandmother with health problems trying to lose at least 50lbs, maybe more.

Options
Hi, I'm Chris. Hoping there are some people like me out there, and no haters. I am a Type 2 diabetic who has fought keeping my weight down most of my life. I had times in my adult life that I was pretty successful and active, but for the last 2-3 years I have a very hard time with my weight. I started having to use insulin about 3 years ago. I had been losing some weight before using insulin, but every month after starting my weight crept up a little every month. It has stopped going up and I have gone down a little over this last year, but I have difficulty losing any. I am always trying to maintain a healthy diet, but because of complications from the diabetes I have difficulty walking sometimes. I try my best to move around, but arthritis is another factor that makes it difficult some days.

Replies

• melissaandemma
    melissaandemma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris. My names Melissa. don't get discouraged if you cant get in the exercise at first. I found sticking to the app food tracking still helps you lose the weight. if you cant do the walking even try arm circles or something that doesn't use the walking so much. After some of the weight comes off you should start to find the walking is a little easier. Im 48 and sit at a desk all day. I couldn't even walk up my stairs or ride my bike for 10 minutes because I have terrible chest pain. ive noticed just with in 2 weeks of doing this I am better. It can only get better for you remember that! (:
  • profrhogan
    profrhogan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree, do what you can and as you feel better push yourself a little more. Just don't give up. Sometimes I am fighting to just stay on track for the next hour or just until the next meal. Small steps are still progress
  • bigguyreed
    bigguyreed Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey Chris
    I to am a type 2 diabetic and I'm 62 going to be 63. I was very active myself until age 42 had stroke or Drs. called it a (T.I.A.). I was in the gym most of my life until T.I.A. Drs. told me to stop my heavy weight lifting because my heart had enlarged from the heavy weights. That was my drive in life so I quit everything. So need less to say I have developed type 2 myself. It wasn't bad at first 10lbs. here, then 20lbs. next year. Until 120lbs. over my starting weight. About 3yrs. ago sugar got way out of control Drs. said I needed to drop some weight I was 335lbs. Started walking with a seasoned walker I told them don't let me make excuses not to walk. So after about 2yrs. walking was down to 290. Brought my A1C down from 8.1 to 5.8 over 2yrs. but then A1C started to go back up Drs. said need to do more than walk. I told him I'd start back at gym. I did, sugar started coming down again but weight didn't. Got discouraged last Christmas and stop going to gym. Drs. ask why? I told him weight not going. He told me because of the muscle I had was heavier than fat, told me not to stop my activity anyway. So I'm at 279lbs. right now and still at the gym.
  • sp3161
    sp3161 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi just do what you can right now
    About exercises just make healthy choices in eating. I think it important to make one or two changes until it becomes a habit. Iam 55 and iam a diabetic also. I would like to become your friend
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but I am 64 with high triglycerides and blocked arteries in leg. I have found the only way I can lose is to cut the carbs down and keep calories around 1200. I walk 30 minutes a day at the least to prevent more blood clots. Sometimes I break the walks up to 3 ten minute walks if I'm having s bad day. You will feel better eventually.
  • motherall
    motherall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, Chris. I too am type II diabetic on insulin by choice. I will be 75 next week, had a bout of cancer in February which turned out to be Stage 1 and I decided that I needed to make the most of my life and take better care of myself. I joined a Silver Sneakers class at the local gym which is great because we use chairs to help with balance or to sit when winded. I have asthma so walking is my biggest issue along with hip pain and no balance. The gym class is great. If you look online there are several seated exercise programs you can check into. I'm hoping that as I exercise my balance will get better. My goal is to be able to walk around the mall again and go to parks and walk to take pictures. I've been at it for a month and I've lost one pound. One thing that MFP has shockingly shown me is that I don't eat enough calories in a day even though I eat fairly well because of the diabetes. So I'm trying to do the 3 meals, 2 snack thing. We can be each others cheerleaders if you like.
  • TheArtist070
    TheArtist070 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello Chris - I think it's a good sign you are willing to keep trying and coming here to connect with other people. I have some difficulty myself with trying to eat well and exercise on a consistent basis. I also have medical problems which make it difficult to exercise. I can get down on myself sometimes, because I feel like I'm not trying hard enough. I find it inspiring to come here and find other people who are brave enough to share their struggles and the steps they take towards meeting their goals and the triumphs big and small along the way.