the whole exercise calorie thing

Options
I know it is often said to eat them by many. But for some reason that is super scary to me. I am not even sure what to eat to get that much. And I am sure mfp overestimates calorie burn. I have a hrm. I do spin three days a week and other cardio and weights the other two days. I have been gaining and losing the same 4 pounds since April. I have lost 93 pounds and have 50 to go until I am in the healthy weight range. This happened when I got close to 199 pounds. I am not even that hungry a lot of times so not sure that I can eat that much, but it just worries me as I do not want a bigger gain. Do you really think I am under eating? I never eat all my exercise calories back but some.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Do what works for YOU.

Personally, I HAVE to eat them back or my body gets grumpy and I gain weight. But, if you haven't been eating them or not all them and it's working -- KEEP AT IT. Just keep in mind if weight loss really slows down or stops - you may have to adjust what you're doing to get it moving again.

Good Luck and CONGRATS!
  • dlafarga
    dlafarga Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im not too sure what the correct thing to do is but I try not to eat all my calories back. In fact, my daily calorie goal is 1390 calories. And I try to eat atleast 1200 calories or so a day. When I go hiking (I do 3 hrs rigorous hiking) after I eat everything all day I'll probably still be negative NET calories. On days that I don't hike but do other lighter exercises, my NET calories are still not even halfway to my daily goal. I always eat three meals and a few snacks.
    I really don't think it's necessary to eat around 2000+ calories a day.
    I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff but I hope this helps!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Great question...and I know there are a lot of conversations about this. I'm in the same boat... lost 100+ and for the last 6 months, been going up and down with the same 7 pounds with no idea what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if I'm eating too much or too little! I'm only 15 pounds from my goal but I think my body has decided this is where I'm supposed to stay. Currently, I try to eat about half of the exercise calories back..sometimes all, sometimes none... nothing seems to make a difference.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Firstly congratulations and well done with your 93 pounds lost! It's good to see you sticking with it and maintaining that drive.

My suggestion is to get yourself tested to figure out your current BMR at a clinic. They're also called 'Metabolic Tests' so do a search for clinics that do that in your area.
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Glad to know others are struggling if I eat mroe than 1900 I am stuffed seriously it feels like I am eating too much at times. I feel really full. I am going to see about getting my bmr tested at a clinic.