Protein shakes for added protein?

Options
Hello, I'm trying to adjust my nutritional goals to take in 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. I have difficulty eating a lot of meat and am wondering if protein shakes might be a good way to add some protein to my diet. I would look at low-sugar/low-carb options.

Do any of you use protein shakes? Would you recommend a certain brand?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    First things first: a few related questions. Is there a particular reason you want 40% protein? How much is that? How much do you currently weigh?

I ask because it's possible that you don't need that much. In which case, a different macronutritional profile may be more appropriate. Generally, 0.8 g of protein per lb of bodyweight is a good amount. Mind you - that's generally speaking.

That said, here's a good place to see a bunch of protein sources, so you don't necessarily need a shake: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789

That said, I generally like the GNC (not Lean 25 or whatever they're called) protein powders. Another poster hooked me/us up with a website that reviews a bunch of supplements, so you can get some additional info here: https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I find I lose weight better when I stay lower carb/lower sugar. Thus, I need protein to fill in the calories when I'm trying not to eat bread/rice/pasta/sweets. I am 5'3" and currently weigh 153. I'd like to get back down to at least 145 if not 140 but I've been spinning my wheels for a few months and I've started thinking that beyond indulging in too many sweets, I am not getting enough protein. According to MFP, that is 129 g of protein. I normally only get between 60-80 g per day. So, I am low.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OK, good answers! 129 g is reasonable. Often, people overestimate their protein needs, but yours is fine.

Since you mentioned indulging in sweets - have you looked into protein bars? I like the Pure Protein bars - typically about 200 Cals and 20 g protein, depending on exactly which flavor. For me, they satisfy my candy bar cravings, but with a better nutritional profile than say, a Snickers bar.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I use Labrada Lean Body. 150 calories, 5g carbs, 25g protein per scoop.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Look at the protein grams per serving and divide that by the serving size in grams to get an idea of how much of it is actually protein. Pick a brand based upon taste. You could also consider the different types of protein, as they are absorbed at different rates. I have a casein shake at bedtime because it slowly digests overnight and why during workouts because it digests quickly and does not slow me down. Also, try fat free greek yogurt, which is also high in protein.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use Pure Protein shakes these days for convenience - the chocolate one has 23 g protein, 2 g fat, 6 g carb of which 3g is fiber, and 120 calories. It helps me not eat my arm off in the late afternoon. I have also mixed protein powder with non fat, plain greek yogurt for "pudding" along with a banana for a meal (often post work out) - or leave out the banana to make it less caloric (and less carb-y). Another snack I do, often late in the evening, is a 5 oz (or so) container of Oikos triple zero yogurt topped with 80-115 g (depends on my calorie budget) of cottage cheese. The Oikos has 15 g of protein, around 14 g of carb which includes 6 g of fiber, for 120 calories. It uses stevia for sweetener, a taste that is kind of "meh" to me but the cottage cheese cuts it some. The cottage cheese has about 13 g of protein for 114 g of product, and 4 g of carb.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars are around 170 cal. Greek yogurt is also a good source to get you some protein. I also use Vega protein powder.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    When you reduce carbs, you're supposed to increase fat, not protein. You do as you like, but you are struggling because you are doing something difficult, and you don't have to.
  • Valpinglow
    Valpinglow Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I start every day with a Trutein shake. They have some great breakfast flavors (Banana Cream and Cinnabun are my faves). I usually use 1 scoop powder (24 or 25 grams protein), 1 cup almond/cashew milk (makes it creamier), powdered kale, flax seed, oat flour and a fruit or carrots. I measure everything carefully so the ratio comes very close to 40-30-30, it's quick and easy to make, and I feel it sets me off on the right foot every morning. Trutein is a combination of Whey, Egg White, and Casein protein so it is supposed to hold you longer than just whey.
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use Dymatize Elite - Elite 100% Whey Protein - Gourmet Vanilla, 1 scoop (33.6 g) 120 cal, 2g carb, 25g protein and I mix it with P2b - Dry Peanut Butter, 12 g which adds 45 cal 5 carbs, and 5g of Protein and then I use Almond Breeze - Almond Milk 30 Cal, 1 cup 30 Cal, 1g protein to mix it up