raw fruit and veggie diet/fast

Options
Just curious to what other people think about this.. What are your thoughts on raw fruit and vegetable fasts/diets? Is this healthy?? Where do you get protein (energy) from if you can't eat meat or beans... etc... I was doing some reading on it and I really have my doubts about it. So I am looking for other people thoughts or facts if you have any...

Replies

• MudRunChica
    MudRunChica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nothing in your body but a crap ton of sugar? No thanks!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    All foods get broken down into energy. The only benefit I see would be eating at a calorie deficit for that day since most fruits and vegetables are low calories. Which can also be done by eating regular food just within your calorie limits. I see nothing special about it.

Eta: I'm assuming a day or two for the fast but you didn't specify. Any longer and you're basically just setting yourself up for a binge session.
  • juanitagardner07
    juanitagardner07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great point.. I never even thought of that.. I was more worried about not getting enough nutrients like protein... And well not being full enough... I am not sure I could do it or even would want to
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If I tried it, I'd never be off the loo.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point, but for a day or two no biggie.

For longer, yeah, way too lacking in protein and fat, and I'm generally against consuming vegetables and fruit with much of the fiber stripped out of them. And anything claiming "detox" is a scam or, at least, pointless fad.
  • gushfactor
    gushfactor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I owned a health food store and this was one thing our customers did a lot. Me too. I love how it makes me feel after 2 days. I actually have more energy and I feel lighter, if that makes sense. I dont feel as lethargic as when I eat normal all day. Our customers were primarily athletes and people with immune deficiencies and this does wonders for them. Inflammation, gut health, energy, headaches, etc. Read the book the China Study. Great book and great info. Plants have a ton of protein btw.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point. A lot of vegetables actually provide more nutrients when cooked.
  • juanitagardner07
    juanitagardner07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    gushfactor wrote: »
    I owned a health food store and this was one thing our customers did a lot. Me too. I love how it makes me feel after 2 days. I actually have more energy and I feel lighter, if that makes sense. I dont feel as lethargic as when I eat normal all day. Our customers were primarily athletes and people with immune deficiencies and this does wonders for them. Inflammation, gut health, energy, headaches, etc. Read the book the China Study. Great book and great info. Plants have a ton of protein btw.

For one thing, the China Study is a piece of crap study.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with being vegetarian but a lot of other things can be included in a vegetarian diet besides just fruit and veg...things like legumes and lentils, etc...just eating nothing besides fruit and veg is over the top and unnecessary and nutritionally lacking. And like I said before, there are some vegetables that provide greater nutrition when cooked...there's nothing magical about raw.
  • kingdomtech
    kingdomtech Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried this... I was just HUNGRY and cheated. I wound up putting on weight because I was always hungry :(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    gushfactor wrote: »
    Read the book the China Study.

Setting aside the arguments over the China Study itself, what on earth does it have to do with eating only raw fruits and veg, in juice form? Especially the claim that that is a "detox." Point to the traditional Chinese regions that ate only raw fruits and veg for extended periods of time. For that matter, point to the ones that consumed lots of juice.