Just starting cross fit - tell me it gets better!

Options
I am just starting out at my nearby box. They are requiring me to take a series of one-on-one fundamentals lessons before I can being actual crossfit classes (which I'm happy about). So I haven't gone to any real classes yet, but the package did come with ten "fitcon" classes, which is basically crossfit without the olympic lifting (think burpees, box jumps, push ups, jump rope, etc). I went to my first fitcon yesterday at which we were supposed to do a series of exercises repeatedly, each for a minute and a half before switching to the next one, for a total of 28 minutes.

It was sooooo hard! I was definitely one of the worst in the class. I'm far from a couch potato - I run (slowly), do yoga and do spinning/riding my bike, but I've never really been athletic. I'm feeling discouraged even though I know everyone has to start somewhere, I'm afraid I'll keep working hard and never get in any better shape. I never seem to get any faster at running even though I do speed workouts, and I hope it's not the same for crossfit!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I don't do it but I hear pretty much everyone starts out that way! So everyone else who is there is only better because of practice. Which means you will get there too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. That's a really long WOD for a beginner.
    Pace yourself, scale, it'll get better.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty fit, I'd have a hard time doing 1.5 minutes of burpees! Yikes! But when i started doing one seemed like climbing a mountain, now I actually quite like burpees so it will get better.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit weighing over 200 pounds (my profile picture on the left was my third month in) and it was HARD. I'm in fantastic shape now (profile pic on the right) and Crossfit is HARD. So the truth of it is it will get easier IF you are consistent with it but it will never get easy. My best advice is take things slowly and don't feel the need to do what others are doing. If you are consistent with going and just do your best and you will see results in your fitness level guaranteed.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I definitely did not do a minute and a half of burpees, I spent a lot of time just lying on the floor lol. It's really good to hear that real life people have made improvements. I do like the idea of crossfit because it seems like there will always be a challenge, no matter what you can always push yourself to go faster or add more weight, however I would hope that a few months from now I won't be doing the same number of burpees I am doing now.
  • MTBCrossFitGnome
    MTBCrossFitGnome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started a month ago, and I was really sore every day. Now I'm just sore all the time, but feel great. Take measurements and pictures. Don't plan on losing weight the first couple months, as you will build muscle first. I have however gone down in pants size already and can tell a difference in my body. Keep it up, be safe by knowing your limits, and do what your body tells you. Most of all, have fun!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    some people love it, some dont. You'll have to give your body some time to get into it . any exercise does get easier when you do it all the time.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 5 years and it has not gotten easier. You just lift more and go faster. There is a competitive culture around it that can be hard to remove yourself from but just have clear goals for yourself and keep focusing on them. It's a sign of a good gym that they require the one-on-one fundamentals. Many do not.
  • gushfactor
    gushfactor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing it 2 and a half years. I dont think it gets easier. You just get stronger. I got strong FAST with crossfit. Faster then normal workouts at a gym, for sure. I also have abs again after 4 kids so keep it up. Its addictive. I love it.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If it gets easier, push harder. :)
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit that way too. I was the weakest and slowest in the class. I move much better now and am much stronger. The trick to Crossfit is being able to stay in your own head. Don't get side tracked by what others are doing. Run your race. You will get better at it, give it time.