Can I build a good butt during pregnancy

Options
I'm 20 weeks pregnant and want to start doing butt exercises, so when I've had my baby il have a good butt, but is it possible when pregnant? Also what exercises are best?

Thanks

Replies

• ambalam
    ambalam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I worked in a nursing home and lifted ppl until I was 5 or 6 months pregnant. I'm not saying go pick up gramma, but your pregnant body is tougher than you think. Worked another tough job while pregnant w my older one. Our bodies are made to grow ppl. We've been doing it for eons. Actually I got pretty lazy w my last pregnancy and it was really hard. And I got super fat.

Squats are awesome. Noticed a difference since I started doing them two weeks ago. Idk how a baby belly would affect your center of gravity in a move like that. If it feels wrong, DONT. Good luck w your baby and your butt!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 weeks pregnant and want to start doing butt exercises, so when I've had my baby il have a good butt, but is it possible when pregnant? Also what exercises are best?

Thanks

yoga! yes you will have a nice butt!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    yoga! yes you will have a nice butt!

LOL. no. I love yoga. ADORE yoga. But yoga will NOT give you a nice butt. People who exclusively do yoga have flat, saggy butts, because in the majority of poses, you're not supposed to engage your glutes. No use of the muscle = no growth of the muscle.

Want a nice butt, I suggest you check out Strong Curves. Maybe do the beginner program while you're pregnant & keep it bodyweight & low weights, since it's new to you. I did that (not pregnant) and liked the way the shape of my butt changed. Got more round, perky & shapely.

Of course, get cleared by your doctor first.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Yes, but stay the hell away from continental cleans.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Unweighted squats are good for you when pregnant, the midwife recommended these to me. They will be somewhat weighted since you are heavier.

Pregnancy is a good time to build flexibility, not a great time to build muscle. It's generally recommended to keep your exercise habits the same during pregnancy, not to increase a lot in weight or distance or time spent per day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I didn't think doctors would advise starting a new routine like lifting when already pregnant?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Working your glutes is a great thing to do during pregnancy! Having strong glutes is directly linked to having a strong pelvic floor.

If you don't already weight train try these:
    Body weight squats
    Glute bridges with your upper back on a bench or chair
    Bird dogs
    Lunges
    Curtsy lunges

If you have been weight training, you can weight the movements listed above and try some cable kickbacks.

As a person who tried really hard to maintain my muscle mass while pregnant, I'm going to tell you that it will be very hard to gain or maintain muscle mass while pregnant. Please don't let that stop you from training your glutes. Before you start anything new, speak with your provider:-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm thought that someone who is pregnant would be ill advised to start on any weight bearing exercise programme that she hasn't done before pregnancy
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I'm thought that someone who is pregnant would be ill advised to start on any weight bearing exercise programme that she hasn't done before pregnancy

This. It is definitely not advised to start a lifting program while pregnant.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't start weight lifting while pregnant. Your body needs to be adapted to the workout before asking it to accommodate for the numerous physiological changes that occur during pregnancy. There are changes in cardiac output, blood volume, kidney function, joint flexibility and susceptibility to injury, etc. Daily squats and pelvic floor work would be fantastic though. Help with birth, recovery, and make it easier to start working out after birth.

And this is coming from someone who really advocates for continuing exercise during pregnancy. I was doing kickboxing, jogging, etc while pregnant. But it's not a good idea to start anything new.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    My butt got huge when pregnant, just sayin'!